• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Development Environments (1 Viewer)

pungemo

HSC
With this major project I've been practicing up my C++ but one thing that really drive's me mad is trying to create a GUI. There simply aren't any good development environments for creating a GUI C++ program. I usually use notepad, Dev-C++ and Borland (unfortunately doesn't work in x64). I can use Microsoft Visual C++ but it uses and API and generates so much rubbish code. Does anyone know of another way I could approach or another development environment I could use?

sunny

meh.
HSC
As you probably know C++ doesn't have any standard GUI libraries...theres heaps out there, but finding the right one worth your while is painful if you've never done it before.

Personally, if your project is going to be heavily GUI oriented I suggest you look to another language (eg, Java+Swing). I don't believe it is worthwhile attempting to learn something like this for your Year 12 major project where you're on a strict timeline, and you would want to make sure you can actually achieve what you want to do and not get bogged down learning how to do it.

pungemo

HSC
Just to clarify, I do understand C++ but I have never endeavered to create a GUI application using it. I also do know there are many libraries but I was more concerned with finding a tool that will steamline the process. Manually positioning and configuring GUI elements is quite frustrating when compared to the ease of use of tools such as Visual Studio and the Euphoria IDE.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Whether you already know the language or not...my answer would be the same. Most drag and drop IDEs will generate bad/incomprehensible code.

Stick with something you already know how to do so you can do it well, rather than risk doing a mediocre job because you needed time to learn how to do it.

If for some reason you must use C++, I think your safest bet is already VC++ if your final platform is Windows. GUI programming with C++ is just not that mature.

pungemo

HSC
I don't feel it will ever reach maturity, the syntax makes it alot more difficult than with more recent languages. Yes, I will probably resort to using Visual Basic or Euphoria (or maybe even a web based language like PHP) depending on what sort of project I am doing. I would most prefer C++ because that's the language I am most experienced with but if the program I develop ends up being GUI intensive I may just use one of the languages above.

tama00

HSC
I was orginally doing a heavey GUI based application in C using GTK+ which im quite happy with, but it seams i wasnt allowed to continue doing my project cause i wasnt allowed to use Linux Live on the school PCs..

So yeah i tock the option of developing a ecommerce PHP application insted, its way easier and it gives me more time to work on the design of the project.. Maybe you should consider a similar option.

pungemo

HSC
PHP is so simple though. I mean, that should be a good thing but I enjoy the challenge of getting C++ to work, not to mention programming C++ just reeks of nerdiness ;-)

I have downloaded GTK+ before, but I never used it. I have read it's the best free GUI library around though. Maybe I'll give it a go. I suppose I better decide on my program though. Shame the damn teacher hasn't given us the information. He said he was going to give it to us this week but he didn't show up to class at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)