Determining bands (1 Viewer)

MCOLT

HSC
You know when they tell you what band you got is that a raw mark or is that scaled like as in compared to other tests or other peoples perfrormance. An example is if you get like 85 in pdhpe but its a super hard test will it get scaled to a band 6

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
It's the aligned mark, not the raw mark. So, if you score 85/100 on a very difficult PDHPE test, it would likely scale into the 90's aligned and you would achieve a band 6.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
How many times do we have to tell, you, the UAI is calculated with SCALED marks, not aligned marks nor raw marks. So it's neither.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
willrickard said:
but wats the diff between the scaled marks and aligned marks??
the aligned marks are marks that are corrected or adjusted to see which band you fall in. for example if you scored 82% (raw mark) in the 2003 hsc mathematics paper, that raw mark will get adjusted to band 6 because youve met the minimum requirements to get the band 6. scaled marks however i think use your raw marks to determine the scaling on that subject. basically the better marks you get then basically the better scaling process that you will undergo
correct me on this if im wrong

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
I like to live with the philosophy that it doesn't really matter what gets done to our marks. Its up to us to get them, other people can do the rest.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
^ Yeah that's a good attitude. However I like to find out everything I can about what gets done to our marks, so I can go 'Hmmm you only need about 80% raw to get a band 6, ok, that means I can go to sleep now and start studying 3 days before the exam'

:p

helper

HSC
N/A
Well bad luck, no-one knows what the raw cut-offs will be until after the exams and the sample answers are judged.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)