Desktop searching (1 Viewer)

Truly_bored

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm considering on purchasing a new desktop, and not sure where to start. Does anyone know a good place or store where I can purchase one. My price range is around $1000-$2000. I'm looking for a performance desktop, where I can play games, watch movies, listen to music. Cheers. Any suggestions or opinions are welcome.

Thanks in advance

fatmuscle

HSC
check your weekly dell specials.

as for stores - depends where you live.
There's not much point travelling across Sydney to get to a store where you save $100 overall on a system.

Truly_bored

HSC
Is it better buying a branded computer such as HP, Compaq, Acer, etc. or is it better Custom made?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Depends. If you plan on upgrading it any time in the next 5 years custom made.

nandayo

ismist
HSC
As awesome as Macs are, just a warning: don't buy them if you plan on upgrading (not that the G5 needs it). Because they have light-sensitive coatings on the inside, so if you've fiddled around with it, and go to get it serviced the Apple Care people tell you to drive off cause you've opened the computers virgin metal plates.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
building a pc yourself is ALWAYS the best option. especially if you plan on doing all those things

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
You can get reasonably new ex-rentals for good prices with warranties.

ohdato

HSC
Custome made if you want to do all that stuff.
If you budget you'll even save money compared to just picking up
a HP, Dell etc.

www.newegg.com (get reviews on hardware here, its a US site but
good for the reviews)

www.msy.com.au
Then buy from here if its local for you, I cant find better prices than this place.
Also a tip, work out what you want and buy as much as possible in the one go.
This place get big lines and customer service is ghey but thats why you use Newegg.

fatmuscle

HSC
some people just want a new comp and don't care about the knowledge about computer hardware.

If you go down the HP/Dell/IBM/etc type computers, ask your parents. They may work in a compnay where you get company discounts. normally about 5% off. It doesn't sound like much but 5% off $2000 is still $100 saved. You also are paying for a legit version of Windows :p and support.

Sometimes if you're building your own computer, you'd want to get the cheapest of parts. and getting them from different stores is not always the best idea... unless of course by building yourself you mean going to one store, customising it and letting the store build it for you.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Something like these from MSY:
http://www.msy.com.au/SYSTEMS/Amdgame-3.pdf

Go for the double-core ones, you can multi-task your computer a lot more.

I would get the Dual-Core 4200+ package ($1770) and another 7300GS card to run in sli.

The extra 7300GS card comes at a cost of $85, doubles your graphic processing power & doubles your graphic memory to 256MB.

Like me, I always have a music player playing, web browser & MSN while playing a game.

Last edited:

Truly_bored

HSC
When you say Double core...do you mean the Pentium D processor?

Anyone have Intel Pentium D processor, and is it any good compared to Intel Pentium 4 Processor?

Truly_bored

HSC
Ohh ok.....Though does anyone know much about the Pentium D processor?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)