desk checking (1 Viewer)

crammy90

HSC
when i do it i just write the variable names and cross them out as they change in a linear sort of fashion instead of a table. if u get me...
would i get marked down/
also do u need to do END FOR or are they self close?

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
hi there!

crammy90 said:
when i do it i just write the variable names and cross them out as they change in a linear sort of fashion instead of a table. if u get me...
would i get marked down/
as far as i can remember, desk checking just involved the table of variables, and then you crossed out each value as you changed it.

the point of it (from the hsc point of view) is just to show that you have stepped through the program in your head, and understand what's going on.

crammy90 said:
are you talking about pseudocode?

if you are, the HSC specifications for pseudocode list only WHILE..ENDWHILE (pre-test) and REPEAT..UNTIL (post-test) as the repetition structures

go to page 29 of:
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/softwaredesign_specs.pdf

--

hope this helps :)

good luck for the exam (whenever it is...)

Graceofgod

HSC
crammy90 said:
would i get marked down/
Hsc markers are fairly lenient on desk checking as there are so many different methods.
As ianc says, the most important thing is showing that you get how the program works and coming up with the right end value.

And you can get away with the FOR..NEXT loop occasionally but I wouldn't risk it. (assuming that's what you are talking about).
Best just to spend the extra 10 seconds to initialise the variables.

If you must know how it works..

FOR i = 0 to i = 20
Do something with i
NEXT i

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)