design & fine arts.. any good? (1 Viewer)

Ninibear

HSC
I'm thinking of doing B Design or B Fine Arts at UNSW but idk if they're any good.
Any ideas?

wallflowers

HSC
Currently doing a B Design (Hons) at UNSW Art and Design.

First two weeks so far are pretty tough, but it's been very fun. The campus is small and everyone is friendly and the lounge is a perfect spot to nap at. There are lockers around the campus you can claim for a semester (just bring your own lock) and there is often free food throughout the week.

What I got from what other years tell me- First Year is all about stretching your creativity and getting rid of that mindset that is just "Complete it this way". Lessons are fun, teachers are pretty cool too. Plus there's an art store right next to the lounge and eckersleys down the road.

Spotify playlist is pretty chill too.

Second year you get to choose what you major in. If you take Design, IIRC you can choose either Spatial, graphic, textiles, jewelry or furniture design. (I'm mainly hoping for Spatial/Graphic). I think BFA has sketching, painting, printing etc.

Hopefully this kinda gives you an overview of what UNSWAD offers-- There's an O-Day in the middle of the year- come check us out and see it for yourself :)

dirty_ink

HSC
I'm thinking of doing B Design or B Fine Arts at UNSW but idk if they're any good.
Any ideas?
You do realise that that's entirely subjective, right?

Well there's a reason COFA (or Art&Design) has been around for a while, and has been recognised. I'm currently doing B Design as part of a combined degree and it's actually quite interesting. I agree with wallflowers that first year pretty much just aims to encourage students to think more flexibly and push their creativity, take risks, etc. The first two weeks have been a bit challenging as they have been giving us tasks with abstract concepts which we can answer anyway we'd like, as long as we are able to justify the ways in which we approached these tasks. But honestly, it is quite liberating. So yes, B Design is quite good so far.

Last edited:

Ninibear

HSC
mmm USYD doesn't have mid-year intakes :/
I'l totally apply if they did.

Thanks everyone for telling me know that you think and what to expect!!
I'm gonna apply for both design and fine arts.. I just need to get into something lol.

dirty_ink

HSC
mmm USYD doesn't have mid-year intakes :/
I'l totally apply if they did.

Thanks everyone for telling me know that you think and what to expect!!
I'm gonna apply for both design and fine arts.. I just need to get into something lol.
Best of luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)