Describing the Structure of Cellulose? (1 Viewer)

Cleft

HSC
With a drawing of it suffice? Or must I go into writing?
Specifically looking at dot point 2.2.4 I think, where part of it asks to describe the structure of cellulose.

Last edited:

Leo 100

HSC
N/A
Cleft said:
Specifically looking at dot point 2.2.4 I think, where part of it asks to describe the structure of cellulose.

nah describe means describe, only use the drawing to go with it to reinforce what you are saying

is it chem or bio?

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
This is what ive got in my notes

[FONT='Cambria','serif'](2-iv) Describe the structure of cellulose and identify it as an example of a major component of biomass<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
Cellulose is a naturally occurring condensation polymer formed by the polymerisation of glucose monomers. It is the most abundant polymer in existence, thereby making it a major component of biomass. Cellulose is a compound commonly found in the cell walls of plants giving them their rigidity and support. Cellulose is a straight chained polymer as it consists of glucose molecules with every second one been “flipped”, thus causing the molecule to be linear.<o:p></o:p>

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
axlenatore said:

[FONT='Cambria','serif'](2-iv) Describe the structure of cellulose and identify it as an example of a major component of biomassffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>[/font]
Cellulose is a naturally occurring condensation polymer formed by the polymerisation of glucose monomers. It is the most abundant polymer in existence, thereby making it a major component of biomass. Cellulose is a compound commonly found in the cell walls of plants giving them their rigidity and support. Cellulose is a straight chained polymer as it consists of glucose molecules with every second one been “flipped”, thus causing the molecule to be linear.<O:p></O:p>
o.o thats a pretty basic description of its structure..is it enough?

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
syriangabsta said:
o.o thats a pretty basic description of its structure..is it enough?
What can you say other than its in a linear chain due to even second glucose monomer been flipped

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
Leo 100 said:
nah describe means describe, only use the drawing to go with it to reinforce what you are saying

is it chem or bio?
Chemistry thats why its in the chemistry section

Cleft

HSC
axlenatore said:

[FONT='Cambria','serif'](2-iv) Describe the structure of cellulose and identify it as an example of a major component of biomassffice:eek:ffice" /><o>:p></o>:p>[/font]
Cellulose is a naturally occurring condensation polymer formed by the polymerisation of glucose monomers. It is the most abundant polymer in existence, thereby making it a major component of biomass. Cellulose is a compound commonly found in the cell walls of plants giving them their rigidity and support. Cellulose is a straight chained polymer as it consists of glucose molecules with every second one been “flipped”, thus causing the molecule to be linear.<o>:p></o>:p>
Yeah, that's pretty much all I could find on it, and it is pretty basic at that (no offence). I was just thinking it could be shown in a drawing of a diagram just as easily as describing in words.
But your initial response makes sense, since it does require us to describe the structure, it's logical I should use words.
Thanks heaps.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
Cleft said:
Yeah, that's pretty much all I could find on it, and it is pretty basic at that (no offence). I was just thinking it could be shown in a drawing of a diagram just as easily as describing in words.
But your initial response makes sense, since it does require us to describe the structure, it's logical I should use words.
Thanks heaps.
You still need to know how to draw it as they may ask you to, or as you to identify which of four options is cellulose in mc. Also when you describe it you should be able to add a diagram to supplement your description

henry08

HSC
N/A
I'd draw the structural formula and write a written explanation.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Describing the Structure of Cellulose?

Cellulose is a straight, long and rigid molecule made up of adjoining glucose molecules. Each glucose molecule is inverted, and the CH2OH is on alternating sides of adjoining glucose.

HSC
N/A
Guys, you sure you don't want to talk about the pyranose ring structure, or the (alternatingly inverted) beta-glucose monomers, or the one, four glycosidic bond?
Cleft said:
Refer to 'describe', mate.
henry08 said:
I'd draw the structural formula and write a written explanation.
That's your best bet, unless they actually don't want you to draw it.
minijumbuk said:
Well it's posted in the chemistry section, so I'm assuming it's chemistry.
Well, seeing as it's so clear; there's no point in spamming the thread with answering the guy, despite it seeming cruel or whatever stuff.

Also, it's not in Biology.

Edit: You only need to know one isomer of the glucose monomer in all of the HSC courses, and knowing what it is, specifically, can't be of detriment.

Edit 2: Thing broader, say, a six marker evaluating the potential of cellulose, etc., etc.

Last edited:

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
Lucid Scintilla said:
Guys, you sure you don't want to talk about the pyranose ring structure, or the (alternatingly inverted) beta-glucose monomers, or the one, four glycosidic bond?
Refer to 'describe', mate.
That's your best bet, unless they actually don't want you to draw it.
Well, seeing as it's so clear; there's no point in spamming the thread with answering the guy, despite it seeming cruel or whatever stuff.

Also, it's not in Biology.
You only need to know about 1 type of glucose monomer in the hsc course

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Lucid Scintilla said:
This is win.

axlenatore said:
You only need to know about 1 type of glucose monomer in the hsc course
Yeah, for a pass mark. What's so detrimental about knowing that celluslose is made up of beta-glucose and starch made up of alpha-glucose? I doubt knowing the bare minimum will get people a band 6.

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
Continuum said:
This is win.

Yeah, for a pass mark. What's so detrimental about knowing that celluslose is made up of beta-glucose and starch made up of alpha-glucose? I doubt knowing the bare minimum will get people a band 6.
band 6 for a question? i can imagine the question being a 2marker. it wouldnt be a 5+marker, no way

criteria wouldnt be that strict

[1mark] cellulose is made from glucose molecules
[1mark] identifying the structure, aka, -straight changed polymer
-linear due 2 every 2nd glucose molecule being "flipped"

Last edited:

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
Lucid Scintilla said:
Thing broader, say, a six marker evaluating the potential of cellulose, etc., etc.
And you wouldnt need a heavy describe about celluloses structure, they would want you to say "cellulose is a polymer comprised of glocuse monomers", since the question focus on how cellulose can e used as a fuel
ie cellulose --> glucose --> ethanol --> ethene
That would be the main focus of the question

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Oh well. You know which one it is now anyway, so don't try too hard to forget it because it may or may not be useful.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
syriangabsta said:
band 6 for a question? i can imagine the question being a 2marker. it wouldnt be a 5+marker, no way

criteria wouldnt be that strict

[1mark] cellulose is made from glucose molecules
[1mark] identifying the structure, aka, -straight changed polymer
-linear due 2 every 2nd glucose molecule being "flipped"
Hahaha. I wasn't limiting myself to this one question itself you know. Knowing the bare minimum will hardly guarantee a band 6, even if it does net you full marks in this question. I reckon this question is worth 3 marks by the way, since it asks for you to 'describe'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)