Depression and the HSC - how do you cope? (1 Viewer)

Ashabella

HSC
I can't help but agree with this, because you think of the consequences, "what will people think, they'll start talking", "I don't want people to make fuss". But mostly because it gets other people involved in your problem, which normally, you don't want. (excludes cry-outs for attention)

One of my goals now, is to find someone like you (in person, because talking face to face is my 'thing'), and make them a lifelong friend =P

The 'sad statistic', sorry if it offends anyone, but when i recognised the pun, i had to laugh.

i guess this is my tip? :The HSC is only one of the paths you can take to reach your goals, if it crumbles, you can always think of alternatives (e.g TAFE, bridging courses, pathways, deferring studies)

my careers teacher told me that unis prefer applicants with more experience, they'll accept the older applicant over the younger (just out of yr12), because they have a certain higher level of commitment (less chance of dropping out halfway), and usually some experience in the field
(e.g. you want to go into veteriary science, you have studied vet nursing, you've done experience at a clinic etc... shows commitment)

What you said about uni is very interesting. I'd never thought about that before. Thanks for letting us all know :)

hehe no the pun is funny. When I wrote it, I didn't even think about it... but it's definitely worthy of a little chuckle ;)

I also agree with what you said about depression being something that most people do not like to share with others. I think there is a definite shame often associated with depression. Societal attitudes probably create this, which is why it is so important to speak about this kind of stuff and recognise that it is a REAL and very serious problem.

Thanks for the post, and i'm honoured that you plan on finding a friend like me. haha

Have a good one,

Ash xo

08er

HSC
exercise is a good way to cope with stress. go for a run and it will clear your mind

doggieslover

HSC
Don't do the HSC for your parents, that is the best way to end up depressed about it. Have some goal that can't get disappointed with your marks. Some reason behind. Whatever it is for you. I would give an example but that's personal.

Ashabella

HSC
exercise is a good way to cope with stress. go for a run and it will clear your mind
That's so true. Exercise has actually been proven to have a chemical affect on the brain, and has been shown to be just as affective as anti-depressants. :)

Cheers,

Ash

MissMadiD

HSC
www.reacout.com.au
The forums on there used to be pretty good, but they are temp down at the moment =(

Anyway.
Special provision is an option for some people
I am doing my best without pushing myself to breaking point, its a fine line.
Trying not to drop any hobbies or sports that you enjoy for your study, you need something to look forward to.

Last edited:

Charizard

HSC
Depression should not be grounds for special consideration unless brought on by outside external factors.

Fucking gets my blood boiling when people get it for depression because they cant handle the stress of the hsc.

band-geek-92

HSC
i think we all nees to stick together and help each other out. i am in year 11 this year and am just beginning to feel my metal health beginning to deteriorate... it doesnt help that my entire friend network from last year has either left school or changed schools.

at the beginning of the year i was really stuggling but managed to find someone to talk to - only problem was it was a male teacher and im a female student. at first it was fine, but one day, when physics reduced me to tears, i went to see him (not alone, there was a whole class in his room when i went to talk to him) and by that night my parents had a phone call from another parent who was saying that something was going on between me and the teacher-you can just imagine how that went.

i dont think its fair for people to jumo to conclusions on things like this. this teacher was the only person i felt like i could trust and now, since all my friends have moved away, i feel like i have no1 to talk to. we need to look out for each other and offer a listening ear if we can see that someone is struggling. and most of all, if someone has found someone they can trust, dont go blow it up with harmful rumours.

luv2luvurmama

HSC
Well, when im stressed...
I go to my room, tell my mum im studying.. shut the door, and wank.

KillerIsMe

Very Special Master
HSC
In everyone else's case I would say definitely exercise, but for me I have three slipped discs in my back so that isn't gonna happen... haha.

And don't use the word 'depression' for sympathy as so many people do. If you think you have a problem, go see a doctor about it, don't be embarassed, as the stats say 1/4 people apparently have some form of it so it's not like you're a complete freak or anything.

Just remember depression is a serious mental illness, and is very different to feeling down or sad. Don't label yourself as depressed, especially if you haven't been diagnosed with it, or else you'll make yourself feel worse. The HSC is not the end of the world or in that matter grounds for a mental illness.

absorber

HSC
Everyone gets a bit depressed sometimes...I reckon the two best things are to 1) talk to people, and 2) get out, literally, get out, get some sunshine and get some exercise...I find winter generally makes me feel worse than summer. Also, I play guitar, I find playing a musical instrument can help. And do things with balance. I'd get more satisfaction out of working for an hour and taking breaks 3 or 4 times rather than just working 3 or 4 hours straight.

johony

HSC
take some b vitamins. i know i sound like a scientologist, but it works well and helps with stress, tiredness, mild depression and memory retention.

j92

HSC
depression caused by failing everything

sigh how do i cope with failing school which leads to failing life sigh

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Re: depression caused by failing everything

sigh how do i cope with failing school which leads to failing life sigh
If you are really concerned, seek help.

There are just so many people from which you can get help. There are teachers, parents, counsellors and even friends.

I have been little bit depressed and tired in the first 5 weeks of school as I found everything quite overwhelming. After talking to my school study coordinator and venting out all my frustration I got so much better and my health and level of depression improved on :)

oly1991

HSC
Re: depression caused by failing everything

i wouldn't recommend posting threads about personal failures...try keeping it to yourself

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)