Depression and the HSC - how do you cope? (1 Viewer)

jasmineIStheSEX

HSC
Not really. All my friends are busy at the moment, seen it's friday night.

He dumped me for some other sexy girl.

Justplainbored

HSC
im prob not the best person to discuss on this topic :bomb:

im practically a stress package, which eventually leads to panic and acceptance of failure and hopelessness and then depression, believing that i cant do this its too much im pretty well screwed for life etc.

but some advice:

stress and acceptance of failure easily leads to depression so study early and get help so that u feel more confident with the possibility of passing, pretty much just study as much as u can when u can and hopefully thatll help

it would help me if i didnt procrastinate as much as i do, also im excessively lazy

Ashabella

HSC
im prob not the best person to discuss on this topic :bomb:

im practically a stress package, which eventually leads to panic and acceptance of failure and hopelessness and then depression, believing that i cant do this its too much im pretty well screwed for life etc.

but some advice:

stress and acceptance of failure easily leads to depression so study early and get help so that u feel more confident with the possibility of passing, pretty much just study as much as u can when u can and hopefully thatll help

it would help me if i didnt procrastinate as much as i do, also im excessively lazy

No, no.... I don't think you're excessively lazy. I think you'll find that if you are depressed, or anxious, then it is totally symptomatic not to be able to motivate yourself or concentrate. That's part of the illness. So if you think that it's affecting you in that way, it would probably really good to get some help.

What do you think?

Ash

Ps: it great that you posted on here, and your post was very useful. Just because you feel depressed, doesn't mean you don't have something worthwhile to say. xo

gigglinJess

Broken Inside
HSC
Haven't gone through all the posts.

But from my experiences with depression, my advice is to not push yourself to far.
I know its hard, but stressing yourself about things, no matter how big or small they seem, does anything but help.

Try talking to someone about what you're feeling, however I do suggest picking the person/people to talk to carefully.

It'd kinda be nice if we could set up some sort of support system between ourselves.

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
When I'm depressed, I study more.
Edit: Nothing beats DOTA

Last edited:

horsenesness

HSC
Yeah, that is sometimes the best option I think. There are ways you can do your HSC over two or more years (ie 'Pathways', tafe, some youth centres offer HSC courses outside of school).

Plus, it's better to get through it slowly, than not at all, right?
yay im new and i dont know how this works!

ChampagneRednut

HSC
Have long talks with you best friends, talk about everything that's getting to you and ask them what problems they have, helping people solve their problems helps me solve my problems :)

shayla

HSC
Hey everyone,

I am, planning to boycott this thread as it has turned into an attack on me which given the circumstances are unfair. I would like to thank all those who have supported the cause and who have treated this thread as a serious issue of the mentally ill and for those whom it may affect their HSC results. Good Luck to everyone and for those who have mistreated this thread to use it as a terrible waste of a good thread to attack and blame those who are mentally ill I just pity you. I feel sorry for you and the fact that your empathy level is non existant to the stage that you attack minority groups. To you also, luck in life. You will need it.

Toodles
xoxoxoxo
Very well said, but i am sorry that it had to come to you to actually type that out. You are right. Depression does affect many people throughout the HSC. Some people see it differently, ill correct that, everyone of us sees it differently to eachother.
Sarah, I also have a personal expierence that has happened to me, it haunts me at the wrong times aswell. "hugs".

I have a personal story of how Depression can affect your school life- even though that what happened to me- was during exams in Yr 10- yes that might seem like yrs away now- but it still haunts me that the same thing might happen to me when i am doing my HSC and other exams throughout this year.

Depression could be on its own, but there could also be other problems associated with it, that would affect on your mood, mind, physically, emotionally and basically, whether or not you want to study that particular day, if you have had a crappy day etc.

Depression can affect you if something traumatic has happened- but like i have found- it has also affected me when i am fine and happy.

Have a mood diary if your moods are all over the place or talk to your school counsellor or a support person that you might have in your life.

Dont bottle things in- it is very unhealthy and even though you may think that it will make things easier- it doesnt. That is why they have KidsHelpLine and school counsellors and other outside organisations for teenagers.

If you need more infomation, on stratergies of how to deal with Depression, as Ashabella has stated, ReachOut is a very good website- it has forums and fact sheets and also an online journal - that is 100% private. The fact sheets on reachout have about managing Depression and a list of things that might have caused the depression. It also has things that you could do to lessen the impact of depression on your life etc.

my two cents again
shayla

Ashabella

HSC
Haven't gone through all the posts.

But from my experiences with depression, my advice is to not push yourself to far.
I know its hard, but stressing yourself about things, no matter how big or small they seem, does anything but help.

Try talking to someone about what you're feeling, however I do suggest picking the person/people to talk to carefully.

It'd kinda be nice if we could set up some sort of support system between ourselves.

Wow. Excellent advice. I guess if you keep pushing yourself you do, eventually, collapse, right?

hmmm

Yes it would be lovely if we could set up some kind of support group, I agree. But i'm not sure how we'd go about it.

x

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
i dont cope.
hsc
is
driving
me
INSANE!!!

half yearlys kick off tomorrow with ext maths and bio
havent even studied for ext :|

needing a UAI over 90 REAAALLLYY doesnt do anything to help

:(

gigglinJess

Broken Inside
HSC
Wow. Excellent advice. I guess if you keep pushing yourself you do, eventually, collapse, right?

hmmm

Yes it would be lovely if we could set up some kind of support group, I agree. But i'm not sure how we'd go about it.

x

It isn't hard to make a BoS group :)
I'm not sure how we could go about it while at the same time keeping the out the 'unsupportive people' around BoS. But I would like to give something a go.

Ashabella

HSC
I'm not sure how we could go about it while at the same time keeping the out the 'unsupportive people' around BoS. But I would like to give something a go.
Yeah, that's very true. It is almost certain that we would have a lot of those types of people coming in to give others a hard time. I am keen to try it if we can get it happening too.

Do you know how to create a group?

x

Ashabella

HSC
i dont cope.
hsc
is
driving
me
INSANE!!!

half yearlys kick off tomorrow with ext maths and bio
havent even studied for ext :|

needing a UAI over 90 REAAALLLYY doesnt do anything to help

:(

Hey,

Yes, i'd imagine that being depressed and needing a UAI over 90 would NOT make it any easier.

Have you thought about other ways to do the particular thing you want to do? There are back doors for almost everything, you know. So perhaps you could look into that. Ring up a uni or something, see what they have to say. It's just really important not to set unrealistic expectations (if it is unrealistic for you??), because you might end up disappointing yourself.

I hope you're not too stressed now. Just keep at it.

xo

gigglinJess

Broken Inside
HSC
Yeah, that's very true. It is almost certain that we would have a lot of those types of people coming in to give others a hard time. I am keen to try it if we can get it happening too.

Do you know how to create a group?

x
I'll give it a go. :)
What should we call it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)