Depression and the HSC - how do you cope? (1 Viewer)

Ashabella

HSC
Yes sorry I didn't read what you said at the start fully.

I do see where you are comming from trust me.

I wish this mental illness on nobody.

I hope you get through this struggle and your HSC , best of luck to you!!

I still Battle my depression but I keep it hidden to my friends and family :(

ah I see :)

Yeah, good luck to you too.

It can't be easy to keep it all hidden. :(

Do you talk to anyone about it?

Have you got any support?

Depression can make you feel really alone, so going through it alone is probably just going to add to that feeling, and make it a lot harder.

So back to support... where do you stand in regards to that?

kawaiinlove

HSC
If you think you are depressed and you want to seek help, I suggest seeing a psychologist rather than the school counsellor. Just a bit of advice from my experience..

likah666

HSC
ah I see :)

Yeah, good luck to you too.

It can't be easy to keep it all hidden. :(

Do you talk to anyone about it?

Have you got any support?

Depression can make you feel really alone, so going through it alone is probably just going to add to that feeling, and make it a lot harder.

So back to support... where do you stand in regards to that?
No I don't talk to anyone about it , just have my thoughts which sometimes can be overwhelming.I had talked to someone a few year's ago but It didn't really help me out.

I want to get support but I don't know why I havn't yet. I feel alone all the time , even with friends sometimes I get a bit down and low. When I'm truly alone is the worst I hate it, it effects my study very badly too.

In regards to support I feel like it is vital though I have not gone and had it, besides one therapy session. I think it's very important to know that their are others out there with the same problem no matter their age , sex or whatever.

I don't want this diease ruling my life, I'm just too scared to expect help for it.

damm it!!!

Ashabella

HSC
I think that whether the depression is DUE to HSC or DURING the HSC is important -

Due to HSC - it's mainly going to be full of worries about marks, not getting UAI/job you want, losing contact due to studying, ect. Once the HSC is over, it would (in theory) be easier to recover from (note, nobody just 'gets over' depression. It's not like you tripped over a rock or something. psshh!). Unless, of course, the depression caused other areas of life to disintergrate to the point where the focus of the depression shifts.

DURING HSC would be worse, in my opinion. It's assuming that a) something else has distracted you (aka, bad breakup, death in the family,ect) OR
b) Prior Depression. This is depression a person had (long) before and would be sort of an in-grained behaviour.

Any depression, of course, there are the usual recommendations
1. Excercise. Or at least get out of the house!
2. Meet new people
3. Have hobbies.
4. Don't over stress
5. Call a helpline

And while of course all of these would work (I suppose), I'd like to ask: if you were depressed, as in truly CLINICALLY DEPRESSED with antisocial/selfharm/suicidal tendencies, then where the hell are they supposed to get the motivation to do any of these? That's one of the things we learnt in mental health 101 at school - that Depression = no motivation.

My (perhaps harsh) advice is this: Grit your teeth and bear it. HSC will not last for the rest of your life. You are in control of yourself, even when it feels like it's all lost. If it's lost, it can be found!

Note: I am not willing to state where I get my info from (whether it be from a friend/family/myself who suffered Depression or simply because I listened in PDHPE) because that's information I can't divulge on a place where people I know might find out. And apparently, someone from my school has figured out that this account is me...

Hey thanks,

that was a great post :)

Your right, the cause of your depression will have some impact. I guess what I was getting at was that all types of depression are significantly difficult to deal with.

I think there has been some reference to depression caused solely by the HSC being 'stupid' or insignificant. I just think that all depression is hard, no matter what, full stop.

You're totally right about the motivation thing!
A lot of people seem to think... 'well, if your depressed, go and do things that help your depression... derrrr'

But it's just not like that. Depression can make people feel totally hopeless, like nothing in the world will help them. Depression can literally cause people to be bed ridden.

It's an illness, not laziness (despite common misconceptions).

Depression does = no motivation.

That's why depressed people often lock themselves in the house, that's why the stop exercising and doing social things... that is essentially the core symptom of depression. And it can be so debilitating for some people.

Again, thanks for that post. It was very excellent and well-informed.

Wherever you get your info from is fine. I'm just happy that you were able to share it.

BUT I do hope you/your friend/or your family or P.E class are doing ok.

;)

xo

Ashabella

HSC
No I don't talk to anyone about it , just have my thoughts which sometimes can be overwhelming.I had talked to someone a few year's ago but It didn't really help me out.

I want to get support but I don't know why I havn't yet. I feel alone all the time , even with friends sometimes I get a bit down and low. When I'm truly alone is the worst I hate it, it effects my study very badly too.

In regards to support I feel like it is vital though I have not gone and had it, besides one therapy session. I think it's very important to know that their are others out there with the same problem no matter their age , sex or whatever.

I don't want this diease ruling my life, I'm just too scared to expect help for it.

damm it!!!

:(

Gee, you really are dealing with it on your own, hey?

I am going to send you a private message, okay?

Would that be alright?

xo

Interdrama

#wang
HSC
Heaps of people get depressed. It's pretty damn common. 1 in 4 Australians will experience depression at some point during their lives.

It's a sad statistic, but I think it might help people to feel like they are not alone.

1 in 4 Australians will experience depression ... It's a sad statistic
sad statistic
tl;dr to see if someone else picked this up, but this was quite amusing.

likah666

HSC
:(

Gee, you really are dealing with it on your own, hey?

I am going to send you a private message, okay?

Would that be alright?

xo
yeah I don't mind hehe thanks too.

first time I have even tried to look for help and it was the non social way the internet , has anyone have any good helpful sites too??

Scinery

HSC
I've noticed lots of people have said seeking help from friends helps a lot through depression

this is true... friends are the most helpful things in your life. But if the friend/s in question let you down by not really knowing what to say, (with statements like "umm dw it's just a phase"), or if you feel like you don't even have a true friend who will understand, this can be overwhelmingly difficult.

In most cases, your friends will be much more supportive than you expected, but if they aren't, you'll find amazing support and advice from other friends who connect with you on a different level, or even complete utter randoms like Ashabella and I =]

If all else fails...i often find that chatting with someone who *likes me more than I like them* gives me a bit of a morale boost :p

GL all!

HSC
I developed depression conveniently juuuuust as term 4 year 11/12 came along.
My advice is go to a GP straight away if u have been down for 2 weeks or because it will seriously affect ur results.
See a psychologist and a psychiatrist if needed, and make sure you get on some meds that work.

I had some that worked by the HSC exams, however I'd already stuffed up the rest of the year.
Talk to your friends, teachers, principal and year advisor/coordinator. Apply for the ACCESS scheme.

Above all, don't stress about the results you're going to get because 1) there are so many other pathways to uni if thats what u want 2 do, and if u want 2 go elsewhere mere completion of the HSC is usually enough and 2) although it doesnt feel like it at the time, year 12 is the best year ever, and its hard to enjoy it when ur depressed....

Ashabella

HSC
I've noticed lots of people have said seeking help from friends helps a lot through depression

this is true... friends are the most helpful things in your life. But if the friend/s in question let you down by not really knowing what to say, (with statements like "umm dw it's just a phase"), or if you feel like you don't even have a true friend who will understand, this can be overwhelmingly difficult.

In most cases, your friends will be much more supportive than you expected, but if they aren't, you'll find amazing support and advice from other friends who connect with you on a different level, or even complete utter randoms like Ashabella and I =]

If all else fails...i often find that chatting with someone who *likes me more than I like them* gives me a bit of a morale boost :p

GL all!

Yep... always here to help :)

Ashabella

HSC
I developed depression conveniently juuuuust as term 4 year 11/12 came along.
My advice is go to a GP straight away if u have been down for 2 weeks or because it will seriously affect ur results.
See a psychologist and a psychiatrist if needed, and make sure you get on some meds that work.

I had some that worked by the HSC exams, however I'd already stuffed up the rest of the year.
Talk to your friends, teachers, principal and year advisor/coordinator. Apply for the ACCESS scheme.

Above all, don't stress about the results you're going to get because 1) there are so many other pathways to uni if thats what u want 2 do, and if u want 2 go elsewhere mere completion of the HSC is usually enough and 2) although it doesnt feel like it at the time, year 12 is the best year ever, and its hard to enjoy it when ur depressed....
Thanks... that was great advice!

How are you going now?\\

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
pffft hsc, 1 week of uni is harder than the hsc, the hsc is nothing

seriously

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Really though?

Because the final diagnosis is still 'Depression'.

It's still the same illness.

Sure, it can differ in severity, but it can certainly still affect people just as significantly as depression caused by other factors.

Let be fair here...

depression is depression.

depression can differ in severity based on the severity of external factors and on brain chemistry.

And depression can arise due to the pressure of the HSC, and that is OKAY, and perfectly understandable.

Do you still not agree?

What i'm saying is that depression that is caused by the stress of HSC is magnified. Usually it's something that people are just learning to cope with. It is foreign to them, and they can't always identify it as depression.

Depression throughout the HSC period is different. Those who've identified their depression usually have 'triggers' that can offset their feelings of depression, or take anti-depressants or have regular appointments with a psychiatrist or psychologist. Therefore, those that are struggling with depression throughout the HSC can probably handle it a little better than those coming to terms with it/discovering it throughout the period of time that scopes the HSC.

That's what i meant.

sannous1

HSC
I guess knowing that we are all in this together helps me cope.
exactly like me when im stressed out, i say hang on thers heaps more people stressing out jst like me, makes me feel so much better , i always think 2 myself, if ur stress it means ur not prepared, u havent been doing as much work, as u should.

slip00knot

HSC
:)

That's so nice to hear that you're supportive of her. I'm sure your advice will help! It's probably really refreshing for people to hear that a person that is not depressed, still can understand depression enough to recognise that it's significant.

Thanks so much for you input. I hope your girlfriend gets through it all okay and that you continue to be so understanding! (seriously, good on you!)

Best of luck to the both of you,

Ash :)
thanks :) depression is a huge factor in people's life. its never that persons fault either. its a mental thing and 1 in 4 people will go through it at some stage. the important thing is just to do your best to get through it. because it won't last forever. if anyone is ever feeling down don't hesitate to send me a message. i'll be happy to help. i don't personally suffer from it. but i used to. and my girlfriend/best mate both suffer from it so i like to think i have enough experience to help others. and ash, thankyou for saying you hope she gets through it. she's getting there :)

slip00knot

HSC
Didn't read the thread. Don't care, people who are confusing feeling down with depression (they're everywhere) go away.

Personally, I found immersing myself in stuff was a good distraction. Study, friendships, drinking, work etc etc.
explain how you know so much about it without being/knowing that person. you have no proof of whether anyone in here is down or depressed. you dont know

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Didn't read the thread. Don't care, people who are confusing feeling down with depression (they're everywhere) go away.

Personally, I found immersing myself in stuff was a good distraction. Study, friendships, drinking, work etc etc.

That is so true.
They are literally everywhere.
I mean, the emo subculture is entirely founded on that idea.

I used to snicker at people who said they were going through depression when it was very obviously certain they were not.

The trivialisation of depression has made it a seemingly less important. And that pisses me off.

Ashabella

HSC
What i'm saying is that depression that is caused by the stress of HSC is magnified. Usually it's something that people are just learning to cope with. It is foreign to them, and they can't always identify it as depression.

Depression throughout the HSC period is different. Those who've identified their depression usually have 'triggers' that can offset their feelings of depression, or take anti-depressants or have regular appointments with a psychiatrist or psychologist. Therefore, those that are struggling with depression throughout the HSC can probably handle it a little better than those coming to terms with it/discovering it throughout the period of time that scopes the HSC.

That's what i meant.

Oh ok :)

Sorry for misunderstanding you. I think you're probably right too.

Thanks for the input!

And again, sorry for misunderstanding.

xo

Ashabella

HSC
thanks :) depression is a huge factor in people's life. its never that persons fault either. its a mental thing and 1 in 4 people will go through it at some stage. the important thing is just to do your best to get through it. because it won't last forever. if anyone is ever feeling down don't hesitate to send me a message. i'll be happy to help. i don't personally suffer from it. but i used to. and my girlfriend/best mate both suffer from it so i like to think i have enough experience to help others. and ash, thankyou for saying you hope she gets through it. she's getting there :)

No problem :)

That's nice of you to offer your help too.

I'm glad you have managed to get over the depression you have had in the past. That's so positive. I hope you feel proud about it, because you should. It can't have been an easy thing to do, but wow... you managed... well done!

It sounds like you do have an excellent experience of it, both personally and through helping people close to you.

You said some really great things in this post. Some things that show that you have a really really good understanding of it all. I think a lot of people will get something from what you said.

Thanks again for all your words of wisdom... you are certainly very wise!

:)

Ashabella

HSC

Yeah, you're very correct. A lot of people don't understand it... but they sure think they do!

It's really awful because even though depression is more talked about and accepted now, there is still this increasingly negative stigma attached to it.

ie: Emo does not = depressed,

but

depressed = emo...

and

emo = 'faking depression'/ ie not really depressed.

Thus, according to this attitude, depression doesn't exist.

Did that make any sense??? haha

There just seems to be too many people that think 'depression isn't real' or as said previously in this forum, 'if you're depressed... you need to harden up.'

People are just so ignorant. I swear, all they need to do is google depression, pick the first site there, and read for about 2 minutes and everything they thought about depression will be disproved.

But I can't imagine anyone actually doing that..

hmmm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)