Depressed (1 Viewer)

tito981

HSC
i've never coded fml :(

i'm screwed
as you progress through uni life, mainly in first year and onwards, you will naturally find your true path on what you want to do. From that point is a matter of perseverance and determination which allows you to do basically anything you want. It's more about the journey of finding hobbies through new experiences which shows what we truly want.

HSC
as you progress through uni life, mainly in first year and onwards, you will naturally find your true path on what you want to do. From that point is a matter of perseverance and determination which allows you to do basically anything you want. It's more about the journey of finding hobbies through new experiences which shows what we truly want.
fax bro. u a real one g

icycledough

HSC
Mate, I don't stir anything up. Just giving a handful of people a reality check.
The reason why we have these kinds of public forums in place is to build an online community which can provide support and guidance for people who may need it, no matter what their situation may be. Sure it may not be useful for you, but for many people, they're extremely lucky to have both experienced moderators and the rest of the community.

HSC
The reason why we have these kinds of public forums in place is to build an online community which can provide support and guidance for people who may need it, no matter what their situation may be. Sure it may not be useful for you, but for many people, they're extremely lucky to have both experienced moderators and the rest of the community.
But we can't be having people like this in our future generation. Bunch of 'softies' as my grandad would say. What's your opinion on that.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
last year my UAC application was the most random thing and to be very honest I didn't wanna do any of my preferences. it's not expected of anyone to know exactly what they want at age 17/18, it's normal to be lost for a bit, try diff things and finally find what you're into and this could take years no shame or stress

HSC
how abt u not make this any deeper than it actually is

feeling uncertain about the future makes you human not a softie
I'm not making this deep. I'm just answering the replies (ur snarky remark) to my comment. My comment was only meant for the bloke that's whinging at the top of the thread.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
I'm not making this deep. I'm just answering the replies (ur snarky remark) to my comment. My comment was only meant for the bloke that's whinging at the top of the thread.
well it's not ur place to be negative and insensitive but whatevs, keep trolling

TheVuk

HSC
last year my UAC application was the most random thing and to be very honest I didn't wanna do any of my preferences. it's not expected of anyone to know exactly what they want at age 17/18, it's normal to be lost for a bit, try diff things and finally find what you're into and this could take years no shame or stress
[/Q
well it's not ur place to be negative and insensitive but whatevs, keep trolling
laughing emote and then replies with another snarky remark, mate no ones forcing u to be on Bos

icycledough

HSC
But we can't be having people like this in our future generation. Bunch of 'softies' as my grandad would say. What's your opinion on that.
You also have to consider that people are different at the end of the day. So some people may know what they want to do in university when they're 13/14 and work towards it, whereas something people, even after being 17/18 and finishing the HSC, may not know what they want to do, and that's perfectly fine at the end of the day. I get what you may be trying to say but it just didn't come out the right way. Like if you were in that person's position, I'm sure you would want people to be able to support you and provide you with advice on how to proceed in what must be quite a difficult situation for them,

TheVuk

HSC
You also have to consider that people are different at the end of the day. So some people may know what they want to do in university when they're 13/14 and work towards it, whereas something people, even after being 17/18 and finishing the HSC, may not know what they want to do, and that's perfectly fine at the end of the day. I get what you may be trying to say but it just didn't come out the right way. Like if you were in that person's position, I'm sure you would want people to be able to support you and provide you with advice on how to proceed in what must be quite a difficult situation for them,
there's 1342 languages in the world and u chose to speak some faxxxx my homie

username_2

HSC
Hey, fellow people at BOS I feel I need to share this with you since I feel I have no one else to share this with. So i'm current in yr 12 doing HSC next week. However, I still have no clue what course/degree to do. Its made me really depressed. I just don't know anymore. I worked so hard this year and will probs get 95+ but, what the point if I don't know what to do. I feel like such a disappointment to myself and my parents rn, I kinda wish my life was over.

If you guys have any wisdom/advice that would help me or cheer me up that would be deeply appreciated. Because I feel like no one really understands me and I really don't have anyone to share to how I truly feel.
Honestly, there is only one simple and pretty straightforward goal -be happy with how you did in the HSC. Do not think about anything else, and you certainly aren't a disappointment to anyone really because of one simple reason - you tried and its fine if you don't know. My friend and I were in the same situation where we didn't really know what to do during the hsc but after the long haul is over you have time, more than you need, to choose. He does similar subjects to what you did and he is doing a Economics/Comp Sci degree so it could be a possible choice but again - dont think about it now.

The advantage that a STEM degree will give you is a wider range of job opportunities and at the same time a more rational way to think - unlike science is school. It is also fine if you didn't do any coding whatsoever - i know some people who didn't do anything prior coding but are absolute beasts so... yeah. If you have any two fields in mind and you choose a degree it is actually not that difficult moving from one degree to another because a lot of the STEM degrees have a lot of common units. But again, it depends but it makes it easier having a double degree to be flexible. (atleast this is the case in UNSW) so yeah.. calm down. You have lived only ~17/18 yrs you're probably going to live 4 times that so you still have time to think. Wish you luck in the HSC and hope it helps. :)

5uckerberg

HSC
Hey, fellow people at BOS I feel I need to share this with you since I feel I have no one else to share this with. So i'm current in yr 12 doing HSC next week. However, I still have no clue what course/degree to do. Its made me really depressed. I just don't know anymore. I worked so hard this year and will probs get 95+ but, what the point if I don't know what to do. I feel like such a disappointment to myself and my parents rn, I kinda wish my life was over.

If you guys have any wisdom/advice that would help me or cheer me up that would be deeply appreciated. Because I feel like no one really understands me and I really don't have anyone to share to how I truly feel.
Time for some serious messages.

First and foremost focus on your HSC. Given your desired ATAR you really have to do that.

Next, after the HSC. Please look back in particular at your time in Years 11 and 12 and see what you enjoyed doing at school. What subjects did you like doing and also enjoy? Plus, were you, someone who enjoyed helping other students out and helping them succeed (school, classroom, BOS website, ...). If you do this very frequently then a path would have already opened up for you. Also, how did you find your teachers during high school and what in particular did you like nor dislike about your teachers. Plus, what did you do in school during Years 11 and 12 in terms of extracurricular activities?

Given you are a STEM student. Which letter from STEM do you want to pursue as you go forward? How much passion you have for one of the 4 letters will determine what path you will take.

mmmm.

HSC
one science - physics

a couple HSIE - economics, business and legal

math
Since you like physics and math, you could maybe do some form of engineering like civil engineering. after you finish you don't have to just be a civil engineer you could also become a project manager and many other jobs through this degree

You could always take a gap year to try and figure out what you like and what to do. You have plenty of time to decide, you aren't just limited to having to choose a degree right now. Many people come back to uni for career changes, so even if you pick something now, you could always change it later

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A

There are plenty of students who are uncertain about what they want to study at uni, or whether they want to study at uni, or what they are interested in as a career. There will be plenty of students who change directions in the first semester / year of uni studies - transfers happen both to move to more desired degrees or because the realisation has happened that the degree isn't really what they expected or truly want. You are far from alone.

Your feelings of being a disappointment or even a failure are arising from a distorted self-image, distorted by your feelings of depression. The overwhelming majority of students will not get 95+, so on any objective basis your school performance is laudable. Sadly, having feelings like this is also far from unique to you, there are many struggling with mental health difficulties, which are actually more common amongst those with accomplishments at the high end of intellectual achievement.

Please be aware that there are people around who only feel positive about themselves when they are pulling others down. Try not buy in when they make comments that are meant to minimise you and your achievements. They can do great harm by denying the idea that mutual support assists everyone to rise. As a social species, we do better collectively and individually by contributing to and being supported by others in line with our capabilities at any given time. I applaud you for reaching out, and am glad to see contributions to this thread who offer support and suggestions as they see fit.

I agree that focusing on your exams is the wise course at the present, and offer my experience that decisions like selecting a degree course are neither irrevocable nor should they define your future. You have the power to choose your future, and even a journey with some wrong steps c an be fulfilling and worthwhile. Finally, those self-doubts and pseudo insights that are coming from your feelings of depression, your great challenge is to learn to recognise where they are coming from and how they are distorted so that you can choose your actions appropriately. Good luck in the exams!

belatedactuarialgod

HSC
There are plenty of students who are uncertain about what they want to study at uni, or whether they want to study at uni, or what they are interested in as a career. There will be plenty of students who change directions in the first semester / year of uni studies - transfers happen both to move to more desired degrees or because the realisation has happened that the degree isn't really what they expected or truly want. You are far from alone.

Your feelings of being a disappointment or even a failure are arising from a distorted self-image, distorted by your feelings of depression. The overwhelming majority of students will not get 95+, so on any objective basis your school performance is laudable. Sadly, having feelings like this is also far from unique to you, there are many struggling with mental health difficulties, which are actually more common amongst those with accomplishments at the high end of intellectual achievement.

Please be aware that there are people around who only feel positive about themselves when they are pulling others down. Try not buy in when they make comments that are meant to minimise you and your achievements. They can do great harm by denying the idea that mutual support assists everyone to rise. As a social species, we do better collectively and individually by contributing to and being supported by others in line with our capabilities at any given time. I applaud you for reaching out, and am glad to see contributions to this thread who offer support and suggestions as they see fit.

I agree that focusing on your exams is the wise course at the present, and offer my experience that decisions like selecting a degree course are neither irrevocable nor should they define your future. You have the power to choose your future, and even a journey with some wrong steps c an be fulfilling and worthwhile. Finally, those self-doubts and pseudo insights that are coming from your feelings of depression, your great challenge is to learn to recognise where they are coming from and how they are distorted so that you can choose your actions appropriately. Good luck in the exams!
Thank you guys, the support was really necessary for me. It's good to see people share similar experiences and not everyone makes the right decisions in life. However, the fact that people only show their success creates a negative perception. After reading stories of other people who have failed or have constantly changed courses and constantly failed I have gained a deeper appreciation for life. Maybe life is not so bad after all as the learning process makes it interesting and failing is good. This feels much better than being pressurised to make the right decision as failure is portrayed to be avoided as everyone seems to be doing well in life.

Unfortunately, many people who go through this phase may suicide as they feel their life is over. I am glad to hear your stories. I am glad for your support. I know that I will not only be telling people how much I succeeded in life but, I will also tell them how many times I failed in my early years. Because failure is ok, its good.

Please, do the same. Share to your friends and family not only your achievements but, your failures. You don't know how much that can change someone's life.

uniqueusername1

HSC
Thank you guys, the support was really necessary for me. It's good to see people share similar experiences and not everyone makes the right decisions in life. However, the fact that people only show their success creates a negative perception. After reading stories of other people who have failed or have constantly changed courses and constantly failed I have gained a deeper appreciation for life. Maybe life is not so bad after all as the learning process makes it interesting and failing is good. This feels much better than being pressurised to make the right decision as failure is portrayed to be avoided as everyone seems to be doing well in life.

Unfortunately, many people who go through this phase may suicide as they feel their life is over. I am glad to hear your stories. I am glad for your support. I know that I will not only be telling people how much I succeeded in life but, I will also tell them how many times I failed in my early years. Because failure is ok, its good.

Please, do the same. Share to your friends and family not only your achievements but, your failures. You don't know how much that can change someone's life.
Wow! I did watch a youtube video the other day about a man who's son suicided. Now he travels around the world and educates parents. He blames himself for the suicide sadly as he did not show his son that his businesses failed 16-17 times. All he showed was his success and your right that does create a false perception, depression and unnecessary pressure. Your life is not over till it's over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)