Dentistry? Psychology? (1 Viewer)

L

leopard

I'm currently in year 11 and would like to do BDent at CSU in 2010, however I'm not sure if I can get the required UAI, but I've wanted to be a dentist since I was 12.
I have some questions:
* how is the UAI calculated? how does it work?
* do i have to get 90%+ in my assesments/exams at school to get a 90+ UAI??
* what UAI do i need to get into dentistry?
* i've dropped from mathematics 2 units to general, is that okay for if i wanted to do the course in uni? I've also chosen english advanced, bio, chem (+ ancient history & studies of religion II)

i was also thinking about doing psychology if i don't get high enough marks... or can i do another degree and get to dentistry after one year like you can do with law?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
leopard said:
I'm currently in year 11 and would like to do BDent at CSU in 2010, however I'm not sure if I can get the required UAI, but I've wanted to be a dentist since I was 12.
I have some questions:
* how is the UAI calculated? how does it work?
* do i have to get 90%+ in my assesments/exams at school to get a 90+ UAI??
* what UAI do i need to get into dentistry?
* i've dropped from mathematics 2 units to general, is that okay for if i wanted to do the course in uni? I've also chosen english advanced, bio, chem (+ ancient history & studies of religion II)

i was also thinking about doing psychology if i don't get high enough marks... or can i do another degree and get to dentistry after one year like you can do with law?
One fact that you need to know is that UAI is the rank, not mark. UAI is calculated by the total aggregate of scaled mark which is out of 500.

Only 10 units count towards your UAI. (1 unit = 50 marks). When the UAI is calculated, they take out your top 10 units (of scaled marks) and add them together to produce your UAI. So, when you have 11 units, one unit will not be counted towards your UAI.

90 UAI is approximately equal to 370/500 scaled marks (according to 2007 scaling report). You can get 90 UAI with any combination of subjects but you will need either Band 6s, 5s or 4s. So, you may need to get 70s and 80s in HSC to get 90 UAI (depends on the subjects but looking at your subjects, few 90s, 80s and few 70s will make up 90 UAI).

According to the university guide, Mathematics is an assumed knowledge for both dentistry & psychology. Therefore, you may need to do a bridging course at university to make up for your maths.

UAI for dentistry may vary year to year. By the way, I don't think Charles Sturt University provides dentistry course (I went to UAC to view it but it doesn't apparently have it). In general, you may need over 95 UAI for dentistry with good results from UMAT or STAT exam (or the other extra exams).

It is possible to transfer from one course to another.

L

leopard

lyounamu said:
One fact that you need to know is that UAI is the rank, not mark. UAI is calculated by the total aggregate of scaled mark which is out of 500.

Only 10 units count towards your UAI. (1 unit = 50 marks). When the UAI is calculated, they take out your top 10 units (of scaled marks) and add them together to produce your UAI. So, when you have 11 units, one unit will not be counted towards your UAI.

90 UAI is approximately equal to 370/500 scaled marks (according to 2007 scaling report). You can get 90 UAI with any combination of subjects but you will need either Band 6s, 5s or 4s. So, you may need to get 70s and 80s in HSC to get 90 UAI (depends on the subjects but looking at your subjects, few 90s, 80s and few 70s will make up 90 UAI).

According to the university guide, Mathematics is an assumed knowledge for both dentistry & psychology. Therefore, you may need to do a bridging course at university to make up for your maths.

UAI for dentistry may vary year to year. By the way, I don't think Charles Sturt University provides dentistry course (I went to UAC to view it but it doesn't apparently have it). In general, you may need over 95 UAI for dentistry with good results from UMAT or STAT exam (or the other extra exams).

It is possible to transfer from one course to another.

If I choose to do general will it be better for my overall marks/ranking? Will I get scaled down? I could probably get in the 90s if I choose general, but 80s if I stick with maths 2 units...?? Would doing the bridging course disadvantage me?

Thanks for your reply.
BTW, Charles Sturt University provides a dentistry course from 2009.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
leopard said:
If I choose to do general will it be better for my overall marks/ranking? Will I get scaled down? I could probably get in the 90s if I choose general, but 80s if I stick with maths 2 units...?? Would doing the bridging course disadvantage me?

Thanks for your reply.
BTW, Charles Sturt University provides a dentistry course from 2009.
Well, 80 in Advanced is better than 90 in General Mathematics from the 2007 scaling report. Doing Bridging course will not disadvantage you but you will need to spend extra time for that course and hence you may spend less time on your university course.

About the scaling issue, I will simply say that the top scaled mark from General Mathematics is 45/50 = 90/100 (that is the result for the TOP in the state).

Good luck with your dentistry course at CSU.

L

leopard

lyounamu said:
Well, 80 in Advanced is better than 90 in General Mathematics from the 2007 scaling report. Doing Bridging course will not disadvantage you but you will need to spend extra time for that course and hence you may spend less time on your university course.

About the scaling issue, I will simply say that the top scaled mark from General Mathematics is 45/50 = 90/100 (that is the result for the TOP in the state).

Good luck with your dentistry course at CSU.
So are you saying I should just stick with 2 unit? I'm really scared about getting any rank lower than 95... You've been really helpful btw, so thanks!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
leopard said:
So are you saying I should just stick with 2 unit? I'm really scared about getting any rank lower than 95... You've been really helpful btw, so thanks!
No, I am not necessarily saying that you should do Advanced. You should weight advantages & disadvantages. If you are confident that you can get marks around 80 in Advanced, you should stick to it. If not, you should stick to General Mathematics where you can resort to the result around 90 or above.

L

leopard

lyounamu said:
No, I am not necessarily saying that you should do Advanced. You should weight advantages & disadvantages. If you are confident that you can get marks around 80 in Advanced, you should stick to it. If not, you should stick to General Mathematics where you can resort to the result around 90 or above.
Oh okay I think I'll just stick to 2 unit. I think that just about answers all my questions. Thanks again. :uhhuh:

boris

Banned
HSC
I'm not even sure what the UAI for Denistry at CSU would be, but if you don't get in remember you can do a BClinical Science at CSU and defer after your first year (if you keep up a 5.00 GPA) which is like a credit average, pretty easy to maintain in first year

Matt Samson

HSC
The first intake of Bachelor of Dental Science students will be at the Orange campus. There will be 40 places according to the dentistry website: http://www.csu.edu.au/student/dentistry/courses.htm

This means it will be highly competitive and will likely have a UAI requirement above what the Bachelor of Pharmacy course requires (i.e. will be over 90.00).

If you don't think you'll be able to get that sort of UAI, you should consider putting the Bachelor of Clinical Science as one of your other preferences. If you complete that course you'll not only be eligible to apply for a place in CSU Dentistry, but also dentistry at uSyd.

In regards to internal transfers into the Bachelor of Dentistry, I doubt they'll take many due to how competitive the course will be and also the costs involved. It is very expensive to train a dentist.

In regards to the Bachelor of Psychology (available at Bathurst). You should apply to do the Bachelor of Social Science (Psychology) and maintain a credit average (GPA of 5 or more) and transfer into the 4th year of the Bachelor of Psychology.

The Bachelor of Social Science (Psychology) and the Bachelor of Psychology from what I have been told are exactly the same, except for the fact the Bachelor of Psychology has a forth year (that you can do if you maintain at least a credit average).

Matt Samson

HSC
aznboystar said:
does the csu course look at your umat score. i dont see as a requirement but i havent heard of a place that doesnt need it for dental science.
I am unsure on the answer to that question because it is such a new course.

However, you should either call 1800 334 733 or email inquiry@csu.edu.au to speak to a prospective student advisor and they should be able to answer your question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)