Denouncement/Confrontation (1 Viewer)

Cat_Orange

HSC
For our first assignment we have to watch "The Maltese Falcon" and one of either "LA Confidential" or "Chinatown." (I choose LA Confidential)

Does anyone know if denouncement, or the confrontation between the detective and the criminal, is a hardboiled convention? E.g TMF - Where Sam Spade brings together the Maltese Falcon hunters and solves the case and in LA Confidential... a subversion that there is no confrontation b/w Bud White and Dudley?

I'm not making much sense, I know, but if anyone has any clue, I'd be really grateful.

TheHeretic

Cat_Orange said:
Does anyone know if denouncement, or the confrontation between the detective and the criminal, is a hardboiled convention?.
Rule number one of English Extenstion is: its not what you know, its what you can prove. If you have evidence (which you seem to have) to back up that idea as a convention of hard boiled fiction you can most certainly use it.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
TheHeretic said:
Rule number one of English Extenstion is: its not what you know, its what you can prove. If you have evidence (which you seem to have) to back up that idea as a convention of hard boiled fiction you can most certainly use it.
^ What he said - in Ext 1 English you have to start forming independent ideas and arguments through research and observation(with a few guidelines of course). By looking at the genre though, you see a confrontation(usually entangled with the denoument) is fairly standard in most traditional subsets of the genre - however more contemporary crime fiction may challenge this convention. The next most important thing for you to figure out now is why.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)