Dehydration of Ethanol to Ethylene (1 Viewer)

~*pixie_poo*~

HSC
Hey peoplei just want to know the actual reason for the use of concentrated sulfuric acid in the dehydration of ethanol to produce ethylene reaction, coz i cant find it anywhere. I know that for the hydration of ethanol dilute sulfuric acid is used because of the water molecules not being able to attack the electrons in the ethylene double bond.. but what about the dehydration one? Is it sorta the same reason but reversed or something? Thanks guys.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Hey pixie :)

H2SO4 has a high affinity for water and it's prone to hydration (for thermodynamic reasons). Therefore it will dehydrate ethanol to give ethene as you already know.

You are probably not satisify by this explanation but to understand more how hydration and dehydration of ethanol works require you know to know the mechanisms of the reqations.

For now you can think of hydration of ethene as adding a water molecule to the ethene where as dehydration of ethanol is taking away a water molecule. If you really really really really really want to know the mechanisms and isn't satisified with this explanation - post again :p

Don't fuss over it ^^

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
mitochondria said:
Hey pixie :)

H2SO4 has a high affinity for water and it's prone to hydration (for thermodynamic reasons). Therefore it will dehydrate ethanol to give ethene as you already know.

You are probably not satisify by this explanation but to understand more how hydration and dehydration of ethanol works require you know to know the mechanisms of the reqations.

For now you can think of hydration of ethene as adding a water molecule to the ethene where as dehydration of ethanol is taking away a water molecule. If you really really really really really want to know the mechanisms and isn't satisified with this explanation - post again :p

Don't fuss over it ^^
Aww you beat me to it, Mito. :p

Is it because sulfuric acid absorbs water, just like in esterification?

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Aww you beat me to it, Mito. :p

Is it because sulfuric acid absorbs water, just like in esterification?
Uh-huh ^^

I got to play with Na(s) today XDDD Finally!

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
mitochondria said:
Uh-huh ^^

I got to play with Na(s) today XDDD Finally!
Oh my god! What a coincidence! :p

I found out today that my school has some Na(s). I didn't get to play with it though, but how fun would that be?

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Oh my god! What a coincidence! :p

I found out today that my school has some Na(s). I didn't get to play with it though, but how fun would that be?
Let's just say it calms the pyro in you for a short while :p

I'm spamming O_____o... Better do some chemistry:

Na(s) + mito -------> explosion

:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)