decent read? (1 Viewer)

Fido

hey ya'll,
i really need to start reading again... the HSC has robbed me of my reading time :'( but i'm rebelling. rebelling by reading.. interesting concept. anywho, does anyone have any suggestions of a REALLY good book for me to read?
p.s. I may have to slap anyone who suggests the Da Vinci Code. i am SICK of hearing about this damn book!
p.p.s. i just saw Fight Club - possibly the best movie ever! if you havent seen it: GO NOW. run, don't walk. pretty violent though. but anyway, has anyone read the book it was based on? i'm curious about its quality.

porge

sorry, you've missed me
HSC
N/A
THE SECRET HISTORY - DONNA TARTT

i didnt study for my maths assesment the other day cos i couldnt put it down. its sooo brilliant.. even better if you study ancient history or any classical languages.. greek mainly. - but its not necessary to undertsand it

i think they r making a movie outta it.. they r never as good
pleasseee read it n lemme know what you think

J

jhakka

Read The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. Best fantasy series I've ever read.

Perhaps

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Fido
p.p.s. i just saw Fight Club - possibly the best movie ever! if you havent seen it: GO NOW. run, don't walk. pretty violent though. but anyway, has anyone read the book it was based on? i'm curious about its quality.
Yeah, it's by Chuck Palahniuk. It's actually pretty good; I really liked it. I've been meaning to read his other books, especially Lullaby but I haven't got around to it.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
the Narnia or Harry Potter seres....

or as a single reading, try 'The Vivisector' by Patrick White
best book

Fido

oooh i am SO with you on the Narnia (and hp) The Narnia Chronicles are the books i read as a kid and now read the whole series about once a year... *sigh*. they are so great.

porge

sorry, you've missed me
HSC
N/A
can hp ever really be a 'decent' read?
i dunno i just couldnt do it..

Perhaps

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by porge
can hp ever really be a 'decent' read?
i dunno i just couldnt do it..
Did you try?

I don't know... I read the first one when I was 11. Ages before it was famous, and I loved it...

I definitely recommend it. There aren't many people that have read it and hate it. Unless they've got religious issues with it.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
HP- Don't hate it. Intense apathy towards it though... especially my friends who are trying very hard to drag me to the premiere of 3. Oh yay, I'm so excited I think I'll go deface a wall or something.
Liked HP except Goblet of Fire, she started to try way too hard to do the "bestseller" thing. You could tell she was forcing it, and it comes out weak.

Decent read- my god, I could go on for hours. Cept I read lots of longish books, and I don't think you're after that.
I agreed with Catch-22, tomorrow series (number 3 is the best), first book of Hitchhikers (it's Gold, I just converted my friend to it).. I haven't read a book I just picked up and felt like reading in a long time. Except Dude, Where's My Country, and that was technically for 4u. Anyway.

C

CaR

the last book i actually finished reading was "memoirs of a geisha" by arthur golden..
its pretty good =D

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Oooo, in that case....

Tad Williams- Otherland Series
LOTR (sorry, I had to)
Marion Zimmer Bradley- Mists of Avalon (as long as you aren't violently opposed to feminist readings of history... this one is kinda heavily on the female side of things)
The Beach- Alex Garland- slightly different to the movie and has the advantage of LACK of Leonardo.
Anything by Bryce Courtenay (esp Power of One and Tandia)
Hitchhikers, again
Terry Pratchett

Hell, I should just write out my bookshelf here. :p

Fido

hehe, i so agree, LOTR just *has* to go in. god thats a great series. is mists of avalon good? my aunt gave me the book and i read about a chapter then got distracted. is it worth persevering or only if i have nothing better to be doing?

lazybum

HSC
N/A
anything by bryce courtney, i have his entire collection! my last read of his 'mathew flinders cat' was fascinating and original and takes you into a total different mindset.

Vampire

KOLLARZUP!!
HSC
Go the mighty 'The Da Vinci Code', i just read it and you will not find a better book that's been recently released. If you havent read it - READ IT!

toryn

Queen of Failure
HSC
Read Magician by Raymond E. Feist. He's got this whole series that comes after, but you really only need to read the first because it's the best by far.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
hmmm i reccomend to kill a mockingbird.. my god i love that book, but hey im weird...
there is an autobiography or biography or something of the sort called 'my story' its three books in one 'the boy called it' and so forth, its about a guy who was the 3rd worst case of child abuse in the usa a while ago or something, i cant quite remember who its by.. but if anyone knows what im talking about.. its life changing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)