Decent first job for 16 year old? (1 Viewer)

gazzalite751

HSC
Evilo said:
decent job: anything but fast food
/thread
Rofl. =P I so agree with that.

Anyway --
Yerhs, Coles should be good. Good luck finding a job at Woolworths, if you're that one second behind someone else would've snagged a job. =P

*rUsTy*

HSC
I don't see what's wrong with starting out with a fast food job... I started at KFC, yeah it was shit... pay was crap... but with that experience I moved to Acer Arena working with food there... now I have the coolest casual job ever as an Usher because I had experience at Acer.... Simple as that and it started as a cook at KFC... I've heard terrible stories about retail so I stayed clear of that industry lol.

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
You can become a dealer 1000+ a day =d or maybe working on da street *wink* *wink*

Evilo

HSC
gazzalite751 said:
Rofl. =P I so agree with that.

Anyway --
Yerhs, Coles should be good. Good luck finding a job at Woolworths, if you're that one second behind someone else would've snagged a job. =P
Coles is ok, i work next door to coles, so i see them working. It's a repetitive job, and pays ok, but i still think its better than nothing/fast food.

Ideally coffee shop / resturant related jobs are good (well if i could reverse back, thats where i would work). As soon as you turn 18, transfer to liquor (if you're tough) and get an instant payrise.

I used to pay the crap out of my maccas mate - he had been working in maccas for 2-3 years (had yearly pay 'increases') and i worked in a liquor store, and automatically got $2-3 more that his wage (and he was casual!)

bassistx

HSC
Woolworths and ColesGroup (Kmart, Target, etc.) are crap.
Over 2 years of applying again and again and nothing.

Good luck :) But I know where you're coming from... Yeah, it doesn't pay the rent.

Evilo

HSC
bassistx said:
Woolworths and ColesGroup (Kmart, Target, etc.) are crap.
Over 2 years of applying again and again and nothing.

Good luck :) But I know where you're coming from... Yeah, it doesn't pay the rent.
the problem with Woolies/Colesgroup etc is that everyone automatically thinks of those jobs. I work at a liquor store and i get 2-3 cv's a week from other people wanting jobs - a job opens up like once every 4-6 months! so its not a "hi staff turnover" store.

Trick is to speak to the manager, give him your cv, tell him you've applied online (write the application number on your cv) and leave it. Also dont put all your eggs in one basket, apply at many DIFFERENT stores, not just coles owned ones. Sometimes a store will freeze your coles online account, and the others cant access your infromation. Try smaller 'boutique' shops too.

I've been looking around at the moment (not for anyone, just noticed the signs), and many places in hornsby are advertising jobs - ozepharmacy, the fish and chip shop, from memory one of the jewellers near Kmart, the other pharmacy near there, many coffee shops in the area etc (all within walking distance of the station). And dont even bother entering the stores without a cv :p Hope somebody reads this and finds it useful.

bassistx

HSC
Evilo, don't you live in Canberra? lol. What are you doing in Hornsby?
Hornsby is a bit too far for me anyway. Plus, my parents would go crazy on me if I got a job before the end of the HSC.

They seriously freeze it? Grrrr. Sucks.

I've applied at heaps of places. Medical centres (reception), ALDI, and clothing boutiques (even chain ones). I worked at one clothing boutique when I was like 13/14 for about a year to a year and half before I quit. I was being paid by commission so whatever I sold, I'd get like 15%. It was horrible. Some days I worked 9h shifts and got absolutely nothing. Other days, I'd get 20 bucks.
Yeah, pretty crappy.

I can't think of any stores I haven't applied for (Dick Smith, Target, Kmart, Woolworths, Coles, ******* Medical Centre, SES, and others I can't remember). I think I applied for Gloria Jeans as well. I lost count of the places about a year ago lol.

There's no hope.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Okay a very late reply, but you're not retarded for only starting work at age 16. I didn't start till I was 18...but then again maybe that just makes me even more retarded than you. :(

tbohlsennswssrg

Greenver_420
HSC
Nic-zilla said:
Heyy I work at Bakers delight and i find it great.. good pay, free bread and cakes and good hours for a casual..

Try at ur local shop cause usually easter is one of our busiest times of the year!!
!:D
How long does it long for a store to get back to you after an application ?

Note:

I am 15 years old
No previous job experience
Applied for job 5 days ago

Please Help!!!

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
darksouljah said:
lol..man.. its better u start studyin and got a life...

as the saying goes.. its better if u were a prostitute then being a mcas or kfc's employee.....

study hard n u'll earn it..

money doesnt matter that much ur age..
I would rather serve burgers at maccas then offer my orifices to weird men for money. my job may be a bit degrading but not quite that bad.

sofiztk8ed

HSC
I started at Woolworths when I was 14 and 2 months and im still there (now 18 and 4 months), so Ive been there over 4 years now. I work in the fridges and freezers as a perishables assistant and never stopped working through the HSC at all. They have been great with my hours, letting me work the hours I want and when I want. I gave them a 4 month availability and theyve stuck to it. Been great. Fairly good pay as well.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
I couldn't work in the fridges and freezers all the time, I'm always scared the walk in freezer at my work will suddenly lock me in and I'll freeze to death whenever I go in there :(

Dr. Oyster

HSC
Im also 16 and in search of a job.

I've applied for 6-7 jobs in the last 5 weeks. Havent got no phone call or anything. Should I wait or apply for more jobs?? :)

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Do whatever makes you feel better about the fact that you might eventually wind up working somewhere lame?

Last edited:

tbohlsennswssrg

Greenver_420
HSC
Dr. Oyster said:
Im also 16 and in search of a job.

I've applied for 6-7 jobs in the last 5 weeks. Havent got no phone call or anything. Should I wait or apply for more jobs?? :)
Usually the general rule is wait 2-3 weeks after the job application or the closure of applications, then you may apply for more jobs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)