Decarbonation of soft drink (1 Viewer)

lucyhaege

HSC
Hey i too have the same prac but mine says "Plan and perform a first-hand investigation to identify a factor that affects the rate of degassing of a soft drink." Im not sure what to do.. please help :) .. i think i have to do the other stuff too like measure the mass changes and calculate volume of CO2 so if anyone has some handy notes they'd be much appreciated. Thanks (in advance :p)

Bractune

HSC
Hey Guys, I've got the prac all set out, initial tests confirm that freezing will be the way i do it. I just finished looking at a bottle of soda water with indicator in it that i froze over night...(cap off) Its changed from bright red to pale green with a dark green ring around the top. I read in an earlier post that CO2 was very insoluble in ice. The internet however seems to disagree with me. Can someone...."Cough, cough dreamerish" set me straight is this true and if so why?
Thanks in advance.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
The freezing of the soda drink forces all the carbon dioxide out of the aqueous solution, since we know that it's insoluble as the water turns into ice. Therefore the carbon dioxide is released from the solution into the air as a gas:

CO3(aq) <=> CO3(g)

Eventually, as the water becomes frozen, virtually all the CO2 will have been converted into gas, meaning the soda drink loses its acidity and therefore its pH will be around 7. I'm assuming you used universal indicator, and pale green indicates an approximate pH of 7. I hope that explains things.

Last edited:

Bractune

HSC
Yeah, when it melted but the indicator turned yellow as in pH6. So what happened there? Gas trapped inside the ice? I was thinking of just scrapping it and going with just weighing the bottle taking the lid off and letting it sit for 5 days or something then weighing it again and figuring out the difference.
I just dont care anymore i've spent so much time trying to get it right i just need something foolproof.
Thanks again.

samwell

HSC
I think NaCl becomes bonded to the extremely polar H2O. As an ionic (Na+)(Cl-) is capable of making stronger ionic bonds than those of (2H+)(CO3 <2->) so this breaks down the bond. therefore this leads the reaction to move to the left as the unbonded H2O reduces from the reaction wit NaCl. I think this is an alternative explanation.

AyyKay

HSC
would u be able to email this document to me

at darocket220@hotmail.com

if so thx, im currently reasearching what the best method to perform this experiment is
so i would be much obliged if i could see ur input

sunsettah

HSC
Hi Kate :)

I did this degassing prac for my chemistry assessment for which i got 19/20

I have the document (hypothesis, aim, method, conclusion, discussion) saved on my computer. I can send it to you by email if you like :)

oh oh that would be so great for me! it would mean heaps to me, me and my 2 chem mates are having trouble coming up with good ideas for this one =(

stingn1

HSC
Hey everyone i to have the same prac:To plan an experiment on decarbonating soft drink. I am struggelling if any one has any past documents or suggestions could you email me at emmajanes02@hotmail.com it would be greatly appreciated.
thanx em

HSV RULZ

HSC
Hi Kate :)

I did this degassing prac for my chemistry assessment for which i got 19/20

I have the document (hypothesis, aim, method, conclusion, discussion) saved on my computer. I can send it to you by email if you like :)

Hey COCO_moiselle can you email that to me

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
why the hell are you guys posting in such an old thread???

BTW COCO_moiselle is long gone - "Last Activity:
7 Dec 2005, 12:58 PM"

sunsettah

HSC
I did it the other day.

My friend, who heated it up slowly in water got a more accurate result than us other two.

I used HCl and my mate used salt.

We all got pretty varied results.

deviouswatch

HSC
In my class we weighed the can without opening it, opened it and left it for a few days. After we were done, most of the CO2 had left the system and we noticed a noticeable mass change.

OversizeSweater

HSC
can anybody tell me WHY carbonated soft drink is used to show how factors affect a system at equilibrium. Like, why is it good to show this??

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
can anybody tell me WHY carbonated soft drink is used to show how factors affect a system at equilibrium. Like, why is it good to show this??
Maybe because it allows the practicality of theoretical concepts such as Le Chatelier's principle to be illustrated in a convenient way. The equipment is cheap, resources are a plenty, and this is suitable for high school level and since many dot points are related to acidic oxides which carbon dioxide is one of them, it allows the Board of Studies to link dot points in a coherent manner and paves the way for them to ask questions from different modules.

Livelaughloveboii

HSC
N/A
Hey, i'm doing this same assessment but have no idea how to do it, I don't like science sometimes. Anyone think they could help me out? :blink2:

shangs

HSC
Hi there!

I have my prac on Monday and am semi screwed ;/ Would you mind sending me this document as well please? :)
Much appreciated!!!
THANK YOU! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)