debate: stagflation or phillips curve theory on short answer questions? (1 Viewer)

aditya

HSC
no you could describe it as delayed.... as wage expectations decreased the inflation rate dropped....

i think the trick there was the fact that cpi was rising but that in fact the infltaion rate wasnt...

Acid

HSC
OMG - Of course the inflation rate rose between year 1 and year 2 - it was bloody 0 in year one. You look at the Year 1 - Year 2 figure, and then the Year 2 - Year 3 figure, which indicates that inflation is decreasing and unemployment is increasing - and if you want you can say this is illustrated by the Phillips Curve.

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
Rising Unemployment
Rising Inflation

Seems like stagflation to me :p
OMG stop trying to convince yourself. OK here is how it works:

YEAR CPI
1 100
2 102
3 103

OK now let me first make it clear that inflation NEVER rises! It beigns at 2% then falls in the next year. just because year one has a base index of 100, doesn't mean 2% is a rise - there is no rise from an inexistent statistic (ie. there is no year '0')

so - here is the optimum answer. Phillip's curve does describe falling rate of inflation and rising UE. no question. you may get SOME marks for answering stagflation, but having said that it is not correct.

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
Rising Unemployment
Rising Inflation

Seems like stagflation to me :p
except inflation wasnt rising u twit... if u hadnt notice that as u go along the curve, inflation falls obviously.. how can anyone get this kind of question wrong...

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
Shuter said:
But the point is this economy had a rising unemployment rate even though the inflation rate was going both up and down. Therefore neither the conventional phillips curve or stagflation could explain the trends in the economy of this period.
how is the inflation going up AND down... u dont no the inflation rate in year 1 cos there is no base year 0 or wateva... u only no that in year 2 inflation is 2%, then in year 3 inflation is about 1%... that seems to me that inflation is falling as 1 is a smaller number then 2.....

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
matt_f64 said:
how is the inflation going up AND down... u dont no the inflation rate in year 1 cos there is no base year 0 or wateva... u only no that in year 2 inflation is 2%, then in year 3 inflation is about 1%... that seems to me that inflation is falling as 1 is a smaller number then 2.....
yeah good this man knows what he's talking bout :)

also, my initial reaction was stagflation, filled out whole answer then realised my stupidity in just looking at directino of CPI. so i changed my whole answer. so i have SOME sympathy for those who made the critical error of ever stating that inflation was rising...

S

Shuter

I actually never really looked at the inflation rate I was just going off what some other people said. I describe mine all in words and didn't apply and specific theories too it but still explained why the relationships were existing between unemplayoment and CPI.

Acid

HSC
LOL spypryn and matt_f64.. what's the point of repeating what I've just said 5 mins ago. :)

Shuter: What happened to you being headed for a definite top in the state? Karma bitch...jokes :)

sub

hey so describing it in terms of the phillips curve isnt wrong? :) well i should atleast get some for stating that :)

S

Shuter

skypryn said:
BAAAAAAAAAAAA. next contestant please
Waah? maybe I'm not remembering the question correctly. I thought this was the one where it was 5% then 10% then 15% unemployment. Or are we talking about the graph one? I'm so confused.

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
i think we r talking about hte one where u/n goes 5% 10% then 15%... and inflation goes from year 1 is unknown, year 2 is 2% year 3 is 1% and so the economy is in a downturn. no stagflation at all

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
Shuter said:
But the point is this economy had a rising unemployment rate even though the inflation rate was going both up and down. Therefore neither the conventional phillips curve or stagflation could explain the trends in the economy of this period.
look at wat u said.. i think u mite hav not meant to say that? cos ur saying inflation went UP and DOWN.. wen all we no is that it went down (while unemployment went up) therefore phillips curve.

S

Shuter

matt_f64 said:
look at wat u said.. i think u mite hav not meant to say that? cos ur saying inflation went UP and DOWN.. wen all we no is that it went down (while unemployment went up) therefore phillips curve.
Oh yeah I was just basing that off what others were saying in the forum about the rate going up and down. In my actual answer I rather just refered to the inflation rate being quite low = low economic activity = cyclical unemployed rising or similar, I can't really remember.

Rorix

HSC
i think the marks would be something along the lines of 1 mark for identifying whats going on, 1 mark for naming Phillips curve, 1 mark for further information (i.e. some sort of explanation of why)

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
i dont think u even hav to name the phillips curve so long as u identify the trends of u/n going up and inflation goin down. and then add why.

Mannix

HSC
inflation was still there, but the rate of the increase in prices was decreasing.

So it wasnt deflation, but inflation was decreasing.

The dictionary defines stagflation as Sluggish economic growth coupled with a high rate of inflation and unemployment.

I dont think there was a high rate of inflation.

Still im not a marker!

Rorix

HSC
matt_f64 said:
i dont think u even hav to name the phillips curve so long as u identify the trends of u/n going up and inflation goin down. and then add why.

yeah that should be fine too

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
So we all agree that it wasn't stagflation, since it is both rising unemployment and inflation?

.....GOOD! that means i got something right for once!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)