• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Death of music as an artform and as a the strongest communicative language we have. (1 Viewer)

jdevlin

annoyingly calm
HSC
Well I'm writing this article/essay thingy for a newspaper.

Anyway, the premise is that essentially music is dying as an artform, and that the quality and growth of music, and the emotion that drives music is dissapearing.

The way I think about it is this. And this is a whole lot of rambling thoughts that I've dictated... so I do know it's not coherent yet. And I haven't even began to add evidence and the likes.
Firstly lets take "Western Art Music" as the board of studies calls it... or generally reffered to as classical music. There is a reason that Classical music hasn't continued to maintain popularity with the general populous as the main form of music for a hundred years or so after the growth of Jazz. My theory is that it's become to "brainy" and that it alienates it's audience. Has anyone listened to much modern Classical music. Alot of it is pretentious wank! Matthew Hindson wrote a piece where essentially he burnt an old upright piano!
Now while it's a funny thought... as music... no one gives a rats arse. Only the most musically elitist type people are going to see any merit in that. When in all reality it's nonsense. I'm sorry but it is! And that's the way a lot of art music has gone. It's like the composers have been hit on the head and forgotten that people who aren't musical elitists like listening to music too. I mean from a musicians perspective they write cool and interesting things, and their explorations of sound are interesting... but if you don't like extreme dissonance then you're extremely isolated. I mean to the general populous it would be worse then listening to Reign in Blood by Slayer... because at least that extreme dissonance assaulting your ears has purpose.
On top of this they continue to play a lot of old music repetitively. Yes Mozart was brilliant... but you do NOT have to play all his Symphonies each year, and not each Symphony Orchestra in the world needs to do this. Rock bands do not play ALL the same songs on every tour (unless they're geriatrics like the Rolling Stones)... because people want to hear DIFFERENT things.

Now we move on to Rock music... which is the most stagnant of the lot of them. Only the recorded sound of Rock music has really changed at all in the last 10 years. And it hasn't been a good change. It's been a exact, click-track driven, equal tempo bunch of copy-paste pro-tools bullshit.
I'm sorry to say this... and people who listen to "Indie" music will hate me... but this means MOST of the acts. There are very few exceptions to this rule. VERY FEW. You can play me a Rock band, and I can tell you why they're the same as everyone else in some way or another. I'm not saying that they all sound the same... i'm saying that there's nothing original in their sounds! They're all just churning out the same old same old! The chords progressions I - IV - V, I - V - VI - IV just to name a couple are constantly repeated over and over again. In soft Rock, in heavy rock, in pop music... but it's the same chords over and over and over! And even bands that base their songs on riffs end up doing the same things!

Partly to blame for this I'd say is the Digital Music revolution... pretty much from the 80's onwards with home recording. It used to be that a band would get gigs based on previous merit and references from places they had played. They would then eventually get noticed once they had enough fans for a record company to make them viable (because having fans meant that people actually liked you). Then you'd go into a recording studio with a proper recording Engineer, and a producer... etc etc...
Now every man and his dog can set up a home studio that has a "professional" sound to it... meaning generally that he can record the drums, bass, guitars, vocals seperately and mix them to levels that mean all can be heard in the balance they should be heard. And with the growth of computers, the internet and programs like Pro-Tools... this became cheaper and easier. Now we're just flooded with a whole lot of crap. And it's become about the song more than the band... because the bands song sound just like the last band. I'm not going to even talk about the fact that Recording to tape and using Valve equipment and having your CD mastered is vastly superior... because most bands don't realise this... they don't truly care about the music... they THINK they do, but they just WANT to be famous and play some form of music doing so because it's more fun than sitting at a desk doing paperwork. They've forgotten that this is an art form. And people have just bought into it. There is a difference between playing "Stairway to Heaven" and writing a song that will last that long.

Pop music is just as bad as rock music generally... Rap is less of a problem though, because my understanding is that rap is supposed to be more about the poetry though. Although now a lot of the poetry has been lost in the sub-culture of rap music... and the bling, and the battles, and all the accompanying crap. There are still a few artists who write poetry... but they are sadly few and far between. But I don't have a problem with the music of Rap not developing, because it's the literature behind rap that I think should be important. They can be separated, whereas the other genres with lyrics should NOT be trying to separate the two.
But pop music is about mass production and fame and celebrity. See Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan recording an album. Or any pop-star really who hasn't written their own songs. The music is written to dance to and sing along too... but what I don't understand is why the composers don't just write a whole lot of songs for whatever session musicians they like and do it that way... doesn't matter what his/her name is... as long as they're hot, and can dance well, and sing somewhat ok... they can do these songs.
Idol is a PERFECT example of this. Very rarely do the best singers win... and very rarely do the winners go on to much fame. Only Kelly Clarkson has done anything decent out of Idol... and she was good enough to make it without Idol.

Alot of people try and blame record companies for this, when the masses consuming it are just as much to blame, if not more to blame... because the consumption causes the record companies to earn money, and seeing as they are businesses, what earns them money is what they do. And so we're stuck in a constant cycle. Record companies don't take risks on new and interesting sounds and groups... because they're not sure whether or not people will buy the CD (download it from iTunes)

Jazz is the same as classical music. It's either standards, or Avante Garde stuff that no one wants to listen to. Which is sad really... because for a long time Jazz was the biggest exception to the rule.

In all honesty, one of the few styles to continue to push the envelope is Metal... and even then only a small part of Metal... and even then, that small part of Metal is only slightly moving forward and is holding on to a lot of its elements quite rigidly (riffing, growling/screaming, instrumentation, lyrical content). And the only way they're moving forward is by treading into other areas of music that already exist. Opeth with Jazz and further developing and changing the defined boundary between Jazz and Metal. Meshuggah with their time signatures... which is really an extension of a lot of traditional Eastern European type music. They've been doing those strange time signatures like 7/8, or 11/16 or 5/4 for a long long time. Dreamtheater having been trying similar things for a long time...
But even these bandsand others like them, considered by some to be extremely original, alongside acts like The Mars Volta and Muse with combinations that most people would be afraid to use... still use very generic elements in their songs. Constantly tying themselves to a style and audience and sound.

Anyways... these are just some initial thoughts... if you have any thoughts, please add them. Either for or against. But "no you're wrong" statements that aren't qualified are just lame. I don't need to hear how your favourite band is expanding the envelope that is music... because chances are, they aren't.

jdevlin

annoyingly calm
HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
And why? For dictating my initial thoughts only... no attempts at clearing it up. Why D minus?

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
because music is not dead and will never die.

True, the majority that is visible in the market sucks and gives the rest of their 'genres' a bad name.

but there aren't just 'a few' artists that make good music

there are ALOT.

ALOT ALOT ALOT

and they don't need to 'sound COMPLETELY different' to be good.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
jdevlin said:
Now while it's a funny thought... as music... no one gives a rats arse. Only the most musically elitist type people are going to see any merit in that. When in all reality it's nonsense. I'm sorry but it is!
I only really read the first paragraph about classical music and skimmed the rest, but your thesis doesn't seem very coherent.
I'm not familiar with the work of Hindson, but I think your critique of the modernists is ignorant of the purpose and signifcance of their work. Just because no one composes by, or listens to schoenbergs 12 tone system, doesn't mean it wasn't important or necessary.
All the modernist movements were historically essential to progress in the art, unlistenable or no. It's not nonsense at all, if you study art history, all the movements in art and music are linked, and there is a sound intellectual process behind their development.
People are afraid of anything new. What do you want composers to do, try to emulate mozart for the next thousand years so it sounds 'nice' and accessible?

You criticise classical music for being inaccessable except to elitist wankers.
You go on to criticise rock music for being too populist.

Make up your mind about what you want art to be.

jdevlin

annoyingly calm
HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
because music is not dead and will never die.

True, the majority that is visible in the market sucks and gives the rest of their 'genres' a bad name.

but there aren't just 'a few' artists that make good music

there are ALOT.

ALOT ALOT ALOT

and they don't need to 'sound COMPLETELY different' to be good.
I didn't say it was dead... I said it was dying as an artform. It's turning more and more into mass produced gunk.

I know there are a lot of artists that make good music... I have 50 odd GB of music I consider good on my computer from all sorts of genres from the 1600's to the present day. But good is different to advancing the artform. I'm talking about something redefining the way we think about music without making us think wtf? give up on it.
People like Mozart, Beethoven, Shostakovich, Schoenberg and Stravinski. People like Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington. Jimi Hendrix, the Jackson 5/Michael Jackson, U2, Black Sabbath, Slayer... people who have redefined what the world thinks of music.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Music is better than ever tbh, I see every reason to believe this. It's just fear of the new, damn kids and their new music. There is more diversity in composers, more people composing, producing professional music is easier than ever, and thanks to the internet, distribution and access is fantastic. People are a lot more musically literate than ever before. There are more genres, sub-genre's, and variation in styles.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
it's not dying as an artform, and you seem to have over-complicated the criteria for which we base an artform on.

music is not...Not....NOt...........NOT dying as an artform

In every artform, it's always the minority which discovers 'new ways' of presenting the art. you cannot expect anymore than that.

everything in music has been done to death, so why put pressure on artists to discover more, and more, and more, and more things that we haven't heard yet.

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
jdevlin said:
But good is different to advancing the artform. I'm talking about something redefining the way we think about music without making us think wtf? give up on it.
Diminishing returns... the obvious roads have been tread by history, we are reaching the nadir of our civilisation, redefining a genre and inventing a completely new way of looking at music is pretty hard in a globalised world of millions of potential composers.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Music is better than ever because anyone can get into it these days. To decry a layman's ability to participate in music and share it with others these days because you don't like the music they're producing just smacks of utter elitism.

In general, to respond to your claim that there are 'no new ideas' I'd simply submit that no two songs are exactly the same and just as you can hear a band's cover and find it significantly different despite similar structure/content the exact same thing happens with non-covers that are somehow similar...

It's like decrying an artist who conveys a new idea in a slightly different way using a very similar painting techniques as say Whitely, as being inartistic.

I CBF reading/addressing your whole post but from my skim of it you're entirely wrong. In a big way imo, what you have to wait for is technology/society to progress as music is usually just a reflection of that.

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I apologise for the lack of thought behind what follows. It is but a pre-sleep hodge podge of replies:

(1) Music looks dead if you look to the top of the pops - but I would contend that this is the wrong place to look. There is a lot of great music out there if you have the time to search and listen.

(2) "Jazz is the same as classical music. It's either standards, or Avante Garde stuff that no one wants to listen to." --> Again, it seems as though you're not looking in the right places. Check out Dance of the Infidel by Meshell Ndegeocello and Momentum by Joshua Redman and tell me what you think (both these albums fall into a 'fusion' kind of direction --> but this is necessary if it is to sound at all 'different' right?).

(3) Music doesn't have to be different, or push the enveope, in order to be good. Sometimes simplicity is all it takes - chords I, IV, V and VI, good lyrics, quality musicianship and some heartfelt delivery. Hillbilly shakespeare kind of stuff. You complain about stagnation on the one hand (and of course you will encounter a degree of 'sameness' when considering a given genre - such similarity is a precondition for a common label!) and inaccessible art-music on the other. Besides, everyone knows that music ended with symphony for dot matrix printers.

A couple things which I suspect may hurt the quality of music being released:

- The pussycat dolls. Terrible music. From what I can gather it is largely about the sex appeal and the marketing to the point where it doesn't matter what the music sounds like (but the tunes still manage to take hold, divorced from the lusty images, and clog the airwaves). My solution: don't listen to it, and seek live music venues over clubs.

- Stingy music venues. A DJ costs < rock band costs < jazz ensemble costs < orchestra costs. Basic economic concerns own performing artists (and the Sydney music scene....).

lolokay

HSC
from what I can tell.. op has no idea what he's talking about and makes no real good points. it's a bit hard to take the article at all seriously

I suppose that the decline of art in certain aspects of music is a good enough topic to write about, but I really think you need to find some better things to say in regards to it

D minus is probably about right, imo

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
Re: Death of music as an artform and as a the strongest communicative language we hav

jdevlin said:
Well I'm writing this article/essay thingy for a newspaper.

Anyway, the premise is that essentially music is dying as an artform, and that the quality and growth of music, and the emotion that drives music is dissapearing.

The way I think about it is this. And this is a whole lot of rambling thoughts that I've dictated... so I do know it's not coherent yet. And I haven't even began to add evidence and the likes.
Firstly lets take "Western Art Music" as the board of studies calls it... or generally reffered to as classical music. There is a reason that Classical music hasn't continued to maintain popularity with the general populous as the main form of music for a hundred years or so after the growth of Jazz. My theory is that it's become to "brainy" and that it alienates it's audience. Has anyone listened to much modern Classical music. Alot of it is pretentious wank! Matthew Hindson wrote a piece where essentially he burnt an old upright piano!
Now while it's a funny thought... as music... no one gives a rats arse. Only the most musically elitist type people are going to see any merit in that. When in all reality it's nonsense. I'm sorry but it is! And that's the way a lot of art music has gone. It's like the composers have been hit on the head and forgotten that people who aren't musical elitists like listening to music too. I mean from a musicians perspective they write cool and interesting things, and their explorations of sound are interesting... but if you don't like extreme dissonance then you're extremely isolated. I mean to the general populous it would be worse then listening to Reign in Blood by Slayer... because at least that extreme dissonance assaulting your ears has purpose.
On top of this they continue to play a lot of old music repetitively. Yes Mozart was brilliant... but you do NOT have to play all his Symphonies each year, and not each Symphony Orchestra in the world needs to do this. Rock bands do not play ALL the same songs on every tour (unless they're geriatrics like the Rolling Stones)... because people want to hear DIFFERENT things.
You need to do a hell of a lot more research before you begin writing absolute rubbish like that. I am totally agreeing with Graney about the modernist movement, if you knew anything about modernism as a movement even in literature then you would have a trillionth of a better understanding than you do. I was even more annoyed that you are totally pigeon holing contemporary classical music as wank, when contemporary is actually quite different to modernist classical music. Composers like Sonny Chua, Alexandre Desplat and others make brilliant contemporary classical music. (This isn't just me getting semantic on you either, look it up). Plus, the kind of dissonance and isolation you are referring to is hardly a new concept.. Composers such as Prokofiev have been playing with the conventions of classical music for years. Go even further and you will find people like John Cage and a lot of the Fluxus artists and students of Cage who revolutionised music composition and understanding.

jdevlin said:
Now we move on to Rock music... which is the most stagnant of the lot of them. Only the recorded sound of Rock music has really changed at all in the last 10 years. And it hasn't been a good change. It's been a exact, click-track driven, equal tempo bunch of copy-paste pro-tools bullshit.
I'm sorry to say this... and people who listen to "Indie" music will hate me... but this means MOST of the acts. There are very few exceptions to this rule. VERY FEW. You can play me a Rock band, and I can tell you why they're the same as everyone else in some way or another. I'm not saying that they all sound the same... i'm saying that there's nothing original in their sounds! They're all just churning out the same old same old! The chords progressions I - IV - V, I - V - VI - IV just to name a couple are constantly repeated over and over again. In soft Rock, in heavy rock, in pop music... but it's the same chords over and over and over! And even bands that base their songs on riffs end up doing the same things!
You are just inviting criticism here. How is it at all possible to listen to enough bands to make that comment?! I can think of so many bands who can be considered 'rock' and fail to fit into your unoriginality category. Sigur Ros, TV on the Radio, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Beck and Radiohead are just a few. Stop listening to mainstream and you might actually learn something. I'll even point out that the bands I've mentioned above aren't actually that obscure

jdevlin said:
Partly to blame for this I'd say is the Digital Music revolution... pretty much from the 80's onwards with home recording. It used to be that a band would get gigs based on previous merit and references from places they had played. They would then eventually get noticed once they had enough fans for a record company to make them viable (because having fans meant that people actually liked you). Then you'd go into a recording studio with a proper recording Engineer, and a producer... etc etc...
Now every man and his dog can set up a home studio that has a "professional" sound to it... meaning generally that he can record the drums, bass, guitars, vocals seperately and mix them to levels that mean all can be heard in the balance they should be heard. And with the growth of computers, the internet and programs like Pro-Tools... this became cheaper and easier. Now we're just flooded with a whole lot of crap. And it's become about the song more than the band... because the bands song sound just like the last band. I'm not going to even talk about the fact that Recording to tape and using Valve equipment and having your CD mastered is vastly superior... because most bands don't realise this... they don't truly care about the music... they THINK they do, but they just WANT to be famous and play some form of music doing so because it's more fun than sitting at a desk doing paperwork. They've forgotten that this is an art form. And people have just bought into it. There is a difference between playing "Stairway to Heaven" and writing a song that will last that long.
Firstly, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that making your own music means you can't be credible or build a credible reputation. Music industries such as Jazz rely so heavily on networking through home-studio recordings most of the time. Sure that means there is a lot more crap, but you can't argue that and completely neglect the potential for so much good music as well. Bands are still perfectly capable to build up a reputable fan base and gig residencies with the advent of better recording technology. This is especially true considering how many bands have the talent but absolutely no money to get it off the ground.

jdevlin said:
Pop music is just as bad as rock music generally... Rap is less of a problem though, because my understanding is that rap is supposed to be more about the poetry though. Although now a lot of the poetry has been lost in the sub-culture of rap music... and the bling, and the battles, and all the accompanying crap. There are still a few artists who write poetry... but they are sadly few and far between. But I don't have a problem with the music of Rap not developing, because it's the literature behind rap that I think should be important. They can be separated, whereas the other genres with lyrics should NOT be trying to separate the two.
Someone like hiphophooray or icraig88 will tell you that you are just wrong. Bling and battles is such a small part of rap culture, and more often that not accompanies mainstream rap culture. I say it again, open your ears past mainstream music. Plus, such a big element of rap actually is the beat, tonality and emphasis of words, far more so sometimes than the words themselves.

jdevlin said:
Record companies don't take risks on new and interesting sounds and groups... because they're not sure whether or not people will buy the CD (download it from iTunes)
Where the hell did you even get that from?

Jazz is the same as classical music. It's either standards, or Avante Garde stuff that no one wants to listen to. Which is sad really... because for a long time Jazz was the biggest exception to the rule.
What have you been doing, listening to only Ella Fitzgerald and Louie Armstrong CDS and then chucking on George Adams or Charlie Haden?

jdevlin said:
Anyways... these are just some initial thoughts... if you have any thoughts, please add them. Either for or against. But "no you're wrong" statements that aren't qualified are just lame. I don't need to hear how your favourite band is expanding the envelope that is music... because chances are, they aren't.
Way to announce "OH HEY NOONE IS DOING THIS ANYMORE, I MEAN NOT MANY PEOPLE" without actually having listened to a whole lot of anything other than mainstream music. Before you even try to argue that music as an artform is dead, you need to do some fundamental research and stop being so goddamn preachy and self-indulgent. You fail at argument. You really do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)