• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

DC and AC (1 Viewer)

richz

Can anyone plz explain to me what does it mean when it says 'It is easy to 'tap' into an AC supply to provide power for houses aling a street'

what does it mean by tap, my guess is that it is easier to install, but im not quite sure, can anyone plz verify this. thnx

Kirsti

HSC
Well, AC power can be stepped up or stepped down to higher or lower voltages. DC cannot. AC is transported at high Voltages (about 200kV) to reduce the resistance experienced. This is stepped down to about 20kV in residential areas. Before entering the home, the Power is stepped down again to about 415V.
If the power was transported at 415V from the original generator, the resistance experienced would be very high. This would cause a loss of time and money.

DC power cannot be stepped up so it would have to be transported at 415V to be of use to homes. For it to travel the country in this way would be a huge waste of energy. That is why DC isn't used as our main power form.

By the word 'tap' in your question, I'd assume they mean the process of stepping down AC to be of use in the home.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
tap: for ac, all u need is one wire to the power line, one wire to the ground...
for dc, u need one to and one from, or else u short circuit....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)