Dan Brown (1 Viewer)

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
Has or is anyone read/reading any Dan Brown novels? I've just finished my second (Angels and Demons) and wondered if anyone else thought they were as good as I did.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I read Da Vinci Code and it was awesome, want to get my hands ona copy of Angels and Demons now.... he's a very good writer, and appears quite well researched.
I managed to divert an Ancient History discussion to a Dan Brown session (role of women in ancient society) was quite fun.

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
FDa Vinci drew me in like any good thriller/mystery should, but considered the language target group was too mainstream for me...plus, what happens to their relationship anyhoo??

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
got da vinci code but still havent managed to read it :(

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
I have no idea what happens with the relationship.. I read the first book, Angels and Demons, and he had a girl in that one too.
I agree with the language, its a good thriller mystery, but disagree with me if you wish, but i think because it was written by a man, the sex just HAD to be in there.. It may of been just me who felt that way at the end.

stargaze

HSC
Dan Brown is huge atm.. like 3 books in top 10 australia + dv code which has been 1 for a very long time..

i read the da vinci code and thought as a story it was excellent. i wasnt too impressed with the ideas and info that he branded as fact.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
My Mum has his novels, but I haven't read them yet. She thinks they're pretty good, so I might have to have a read.

SpaceMonkey

Frak!
HSC
The Da Vinci Code had a very anti-climatic ending...
I think Angels & Demons > The Da Vinci Code...

Oh BTW, don't believe everything you read in these books.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
You're not meant to believe it all. He is merely exploring various ideas which float around academic and non-academic circles.

Mini

relax
HSC
read them, loved them - i was actually fascinated they reached best seller lists, i didn't think history/religion stirred anyone anymore.

The girl thing... early in the DV code, he explains what happens to Vittoria from A&D. (DV is sequel to AD)
apparently their interests were too different to stay together, they 'promised to meet in a different romantic place every year, but it never happened'. *gag* These books are better without the relationships.
In the end of DV, Sophie wishes to be with her family.

Think about this though: In Angels and Demons, would any aspect of the plot have changed had Robert and Vittoria not been involved? it seems to me that their presence there was useless - except for the revelation with the video at the end.
What do u reckon?

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Originally posted by Mini
read them, loved them - i was actually fascinated they reached best seller lists, i didn't think history/religion stirred anyone anymore.

The girl thing... early in the DV code, he explains what happens to Vittoria from A&D. (DV is sequel to AD)
apparently their interests were too different to stay together, they 'promised to meet in a different romantic place every year, but it never happened'. *gag* These books are better without the relationships.
In the end of DV, Sophie wishes to be with her family.

Think about this though: In Angels and Demons, would any aspect of the plot have changed had Robert and Vittoria not been involved? it seems to me that their presence there was useless - except for the revelation with the video at the end.
What do u reckon?
typical man.

[trent]

HSC
Is Angels and Demons as good as the Da Vinci code?? I really enjoyed Da Vinci code, but angels and demons didn't sound very good on the blurb....

alphatango

Resident Geek
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Josie
I read Da Vinci Code and it was awesome, want to get my hands ona copy of Angels and Demons now....
Yet another reason for you to come to Canberra then, Josie...*waves copy around* Lent it to a friend just then who's convalescing after a soccer injury, but she hasn't read DVC yet.

A&D is brilliant as a "twisting plot" novel; it consistently manages to create sharp but realistic (well, as realistic as you can get) turns in the story. The 'artwork' also managed to impress me...talented guy (not Dan Brown, but I think he's in the acknowledgements somewhere). As with DVC, it *is* very well researched, and Brown obviously spent some time piecing together the story and making it flow. Complaints...well...as a physicist, I think the depiction of CERN and its work was overly simplistic, but I'm biased... :p

Apart from the references to Vittoria, there isn't that much understanding of DVC to be gained by reading A&D; both are good novels which stand alone. Personally, I felt A&D was even more intriguing than DVC, but maybe that's just because I haven't read DVC for a while. :)

alphatango

Resident Geek
HSC
N/A
Just remembered today that there *was* minor problem I found in A&D. *minor spoiler attached*

At the end of the book, the reporter talks to an expert on camera about the so-called "Election by Adoration". This refers to the procedure known as an election "per acclamationem seu inspirationem" (roughly translated, "through acclamation or inspiration"). However, in 1996, Pope John Paul II abolished this form of election in his "Universi Dominici Gregis", and made election by ballot the *only* valid form.

Reference is http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/j...apc_22021996_universi-dominici-gregis_en.html if anyone's *really* interested :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)