CVD Morbidity: Increasing or decreasing? (1 Viewer)

hYperTrOphY

HSC
I have 2 sets of notes on this and one sheet says that it is decreasing and the other says it is increasing. I went to the Australia Bureau of Statistics and a health report on trends for CVD revealed that between 1989-90 and 1995 CVD increased in prevalence/morbidity. But maybe it has decreased since then and that is why my other notes say otherwise?

Clarification, anyone?

EDIT: I realised I have the same problem with injury...

Last edited:

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
i'd personally think logically on this. my notes say increasing but mortality decreasing.

anyway think logically, people are fatter these days, less exercise = more cvd for sure.

taxman

make poverty
HSC
I am absolutely rooted with trends. I've got no idea with any of them and take random guesses at the trends. I'd be inclined to say that morbidity for CVD is increasing, from memory I believe that is correct...mortality would be decreasing for most priority areas.

Does anybody have any notes which explain ALL the trends for each priority area?

xox_eMz_xox

HSC
most of them are increasing in incidence but decreasing in mortality because of awareness and self checking etc... its changing all the time and epidemiology isnt always accurate, markers will understand that answers will vary.... i hope ;)

Zali

HSC
my notes say CVD morbidity and mortality id decreasing. but all this info is up to 2002. health has changed in the last 3 years and with ^ obeasity you'd think ther'd b ^CVD but i dont no

neafoo

HSC
i thought morbidity was increasing but mortality was decreasing ;(

EDIT : the problem with all this conflicting information is it makes multiple choice questions so much harder D:

Last edited:

hYperTrOphY

HSC
neafoo said:
i thought morbidity was increasing but mortality was decreasing ;(

EDIT : the problem with all this conflicting information is it makes multiple choice questions so much harder D:
That's what I'm worried about. If itis a short answer for example, I will have no problems because I can easily justify my answer. However, with multiple choice, there is only one correct answer.
I spoke to my teacher and she said that both mortality and morbidity are decreasing, however morbidity is likley to begin increasing again soon due to an increase in obesity.

neafoo

HSC
thinking about it logically id also say that mortality would be increasing soon as
australias ageing population has an absence of infection disease so the diseases such as CVD burden it. The risk of CVD is greatly increased over age 65, and since theres no such thing as "dying of old age" anymore id say alot of the ageing population are going to die from CVD (coronary + stroke), which would cause the mortality rate to rise.

heh thats just my opinion but, im probably wrong, like usual :D

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
neafoo said:
thinking about it logically id also say that mortality would be increasing soon as
australias ageing population has an absence of infection disease so the diseases such as CVD burden it. The risk of CVD is greatly increased over age 65, and since theres no such thing as "dying of old age" anymore id say alot of the ageing population are going to die from CVD (coronary + stroke), which would cause the mortality rate to rise.

heh thats just my opinion but, im probably wrong, like usual :D
yes was going to mention that, cvd mortiality may rise over the next few years as the population ages, if its a short answer question it might get you a mark if you right that witht the current obesity and exercise trends.

mortality is decreasing though as technology and advertising campaigns help make people aware and therefore they go to get their hearts checked out, thats is a reason why morbibdity is increasing but mortality decreasing.

campaigns such as jump rope for heart help make people aware of cvd

laureng

Morbitity is decreasing

Even though obesity is on the rise, there are so many preventative medications these days for people with high cholestorol, high blood pressure ect.... that the rates of cvd are definatly on the decrease. Obesity leads to alot of problems but these are often detected and treated before the onset of a cvd. This answer is 100% correct so if u get a multiple choice questions on this say it is decreasing

neafoo

HSC
if i dont have a clearcut answer soon
mortality will rise cause ill have a fkn heart attack ;(

Last edited:

taxman

make poverty
HSC
I found a summary of trends for morbidity and mortality for most priority areas, but couldn't find any on Diabetes.

Cardiovascular Disease
Morbidity: Decreasing
Mortality: Decreasing

Cancer
Morbidity: Increasing

Mental Health
Mortality: Increasing

Injury
Morbidity: Decreasing
Mortality: Increasing

Respiratory Illness

Main Causes of Death in Order
- CVD
- Cancer
- Respiratory Illnesses (e.g. Asthma)
- Accidents and Injury

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)