Curve sketching Problem (1 Viewer)

Bladez

Ok with: ln(x) + 1/x

is 1/x an asymptote as x -> 0? I suggested it to the teacher in class and all he could say was "I'm not sure that it is" so I'm a bit confused...

Also if you suggested there was an asymptote like this in a test that is kind of dodgy like this one (maybe... excuse my ramblings if they don't make sens) would you lose marks?

shkspeare

wants 99uai
yes it is how can ur teacher not know

as x approaches 0+ y approaches inifinity

x approaches 0-, y approahces -infintiy

Last edited:
x=0 is the asymptote, and shkspeare is wrong on both counts
as x approaches 0+, y approaches -infinity
the function is only defined for x>0 so there's no x approaching 0-

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by George W. Bush
x=0 is the asymptote, and shkspeare is wrong on both counts
as x approaches 0+, y approaches -infinity
the function is only defined for x>0 so there's no x approaching 0-
Sorry, but as x --> 0<sup>+</sup> y --> + inf
There are a couple of ways to show this:
1. For a function y = ln(x) + 1 / x, the polynomial will dominate the logarithm, and so the behaviour of 1 / x is dominant.
2. Consider dy/dx = (1 / x) - (1 / x<sup>2</sup>) = (x - 1) / x<sup>2</sup> - clearly we have a stationary point at (1, 1)
d<sup>2</sup>y/dx<sup>2</sup> = (-1 / x<sup>2</sup>) - (-2 / x<sup>3</sup>) = (2 - x) / x<sup>3</sup>. At (1, 1), d<sup>2</sup>y/dx<sup>2</sup> = 1 > 0, and thus our stationary point is, in fact, a minimum turning point.
3. As x --> 0<sup>+</sup>, dy/dx --> - inf, and so near x = 0, the function is decreasing at an extremely rapid rate.

x = 0 is certainly a vertical asymptote. As for the original question, is 1 / x an asymptote? I would say no, as the term ln(x) does not approach zero, it approaches - inf.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
I was thinking of a dodgy way to say Bush sucks in geeky graph sketching terms, but i've decided to come out and say it.

George Bush? You suck.
^____^

relax, i'm joking, in case you haven't realised. lol

no, seriously:
1. For a function y = ln(x) + 1 / x, the polynomial will dominate the logarithm, and so the behaviour of 1 / x is dominant.
3. As x --> 0+, dy/dx --> - inf, and so near x = 0, the function is decreasing at an extremely rapid rate.
If the polynomial dominates, why would the whole graph:
As x --> 0+, dy/dx --> - inf
?!?!
1/x is near the top, as x->0, the whole graph will approach +inf, not -inf.

EDIT:
whoops, you said dy/dx --> -inf
my bad, didn't read properly.
hrmph, it IS 6:45am, lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)