Current Youth Allowance Status? (1 Viewer)

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I need another one of his spending sprees, could use an extra $500 or so now.

izzy88

HSC
don't they stipulate a minimum time allocation though? (hours)
no- not if you qualified under the 18k in 18 months. There are other means of qualifying as independent such as part time work for 2 years or full time for 18 months. That's where hours come into it. Although these are the current requirements- remember they will change at the beginning of next year.

HSC
Another important point is that, To qualify for Youth allowance you are only allowed to have $3000 in the bank at June 01, 2010. So becareful there... Just do a dodgey and put it in someone else account or something. lol
Yes, this is important. I was lucky that just before they checked my bank accounts, I had bought a car (but put it in parents name) - so I was well under 3k :haha:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
But, the parental income limit will be raised from 1 January ~$70000 if you're at home and ~$90000 if you move away from home, and those limits increase if you have siblings.

Plus there are a few thousand dollar once-off payments for thouse who go to uni
Student Assistance Estimator 2010

Here's a calculator from da govenrment

Miner

HSC
Another important point is that, To qualify for Youth allowance you are only allowed to have $3000 in the bank at June 01, 2010. So becareful there... Just do a dodgey and put it in someone else account or something. lol
It has been $5500 allowed in liquid assets for some time now.

Doing a dodgy by using someone else's account could cause you to lose the lot if something were to happen to them and accidents do happen. Better to buy what you need early, pre-pay accomodation (you'll have to pay that from saving anyway until at least mid May) and even store cash somewhere other than a bank before your last day of work. Centrelink are only interested in banking records from the last day you worked.

illmatic1990

HSC
Yeah I applied for this Youth Allowance thing over a month ago and applied for independent. And the thing is all that money I earned I still had in my account (I'm a good saver). So I still qualified, but they have delayed my payments until November. Seems fair in a way I guess since I do have two employers but I'm about to quit the other one, I wonder if that will affect my situation...

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I already get it because I'm poor ^_^ hehe.

And I'll keep getting it for free during university time without having to prove I can earn 18k. + Living away from home allowance, rent assisstance and scholarships... Life will be a lot easier than compared to someone who can't get it.

ay0_x

HSC
You could get it if your parents "cannot exercise their parental responsibilities..."

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay living away from home youth allowance + new Krudd scholarships
Cannot wait

samaccount123

HSC
Well, it was in the budget but hasn't passed through Parliament yet. The government's budget proposal can be found here: http://home.deewr.gov.au/Budget/documents/TransformingAusHigherED.pdf
HOLY moly, I've been living in a cave not knowing about all these changes, LOL..seriously..I've spent like 2 hours nearly reading all about these benifets that young students are going to get! WOW! :uhhuh::uhhuh:

THANKS BDUDE, where did you get that sort of info from or idea??!

Btw for all those people that dont know, I re-checked the link above (even though it works ontop) and I found the most recently updated information or link! Enjoy thinking and reading!

http://www.deewr.gov.au/HigherEduca...Report - Transforming Aus Higher ED_webaw.pdf

The SUBLINK or where I got it from strings from here:

Latest News

Maybe people should go uni soon afterall?! lol

Wait: I think the 2 links ARE the same as I have checked, ta

Last edited:

Trentyboi

HSC
You could get it if your parents "cannot exercise their parental responsibilities..."
I called them up and enquired into this. However they said that that it's only if they are in prison or something. However, I'm going to call them again, and tell them that my parents have not paid me one cent since I moved out (been nearly a year) and that they cannot afford to do so.

I wonder if I'll be able to get through with that? I don't receive any money from them, accommodation, food nothing. They would provide for me if I still lived at home, but I had to move to study.

Think my true story will hold?

HSC
Nope. In the eyes of centrelink you are still not independent. If they listened to everyone in the same situation then everyone would be on YA.

Not saying that you're not doing it tough or anything. Just that unless you qualify under the low income threshold or are independent, they don't care.

One of my friends got told by centrelink that external study existed. She lives almost two hours drive from a capital city and was studying vet science - hardly a course able to be studying externally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)