Curious about the cut off mark (1 Viewer)

hon1hon2hon3

HSC
Just one quick simple question , for exameple for subject A , the cut off mark is 80. is that mean , any one with a UAI above 80 can get into the subject ?

or the 80 only means that , the lowest UAI who gets into this course last year was the one with 80 UAI?

This questions might be asked before , however i tried to find it by using the search button, no matches found .

:D can any one please explain the idea of cut off mark to me :D?

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
hon1hon2hon3 said:
Just one quick simple question , for exameple for subject A , the cut off mark is 80. is that mean , any one with a UAI above 80 can get into the subject ?

or the 80 only means that , the lowest UAI who gets into this course last year was the one with 80 UAI?

This questions might be asked before , however i tried to find it by using the search button, no matches found .

:D can any one please explain the idea of cut off mark to me :D?
The second one - The person with the lowest UAI enrolling into that course had a UAI of 80.

However, there are some people who believe that the published lowest UAI's are inaccurate...because of EAS, bonus points etc.

erm

HSC
humglish said:
I've calculated this before though.

The uai for Sydney law is 99.95 (or was last year) isn't there generally 20 people who get an equal uai? ie, there would be 100 people in the state who get 99.95 or more.

Yet the amount of published spaces for sydney is higher than this. (I can't recall the number right now, but it was somewhere on the website) And I also doubt that every person with a uai over 99.95 would want to do law at sydney. So this can't be correct, can it?
wasn't it 99.55 not 99.95

runnable

HSC
I'm sure its 99.55 not 99.95... that will be too high to get in.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
wow, 20 people per increment on average?
because it's a bell shaped curve.
It's not evenly distributed.

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC
i thought it was more like this
99.95, or 99.55, whatever, is what their UAI cut off is. this is based on places in the course, how easy the course is, how many people want to do it, etc. a harder course has a higher UAI cause the knowledge is needed, but if not many people do it, the drop it etc.
however, with their UAI, at such a high level, they will make their first round offers. Everyone with a UAI above the UAI cut off who applied get in if they have applied and if they pass interviews etc.
However, if not all the places are filled, they will then lower the UAI again later in the year, and second round offers are made, where people above this second UAI who applied can be offered places.
This keeps going until all places are filled :)
at least thats what i gathered from my careers teacher anyways

P

pLuvia

Darnie said:
i thought it was more like this
99.95, or 99.55, whatever, is what their UAI cut off is. this is based on places in the course, how easy the course is, how many people want to do it, etc. a harder course has a higher UAI cause the knowledge is needed, but if not many people do it, the drop it etc.
however, with their UAI, at such a high level, they will make their first round offers. Everyone with a UAI above the UAI cut off who applied get in if they have applied and if they pass interviews etc.
However, if not all the places are filled, they will then lower the UAI again later in the year, and second round offers are made, where people above this second UAI who applied can be offered places.
This keeps going until all places are filled :)
at least thats what i gathered from my careers teacher anyways
It is not based on how easy the course is.

HSC
Darnie said:
my bad. that was just my impression
cause you know. medicine is like 95. but arts is low. and shit like that
:S
Yeh, but like someone else said, the demand for medicine is a lot higher than the demand for arts, thus the medicine cut-off is hugely higher. It doesn't reflect the difficulty of the course (in most cases).

BackCountrySnow

HSC
The cutoff has nothing to do with difficulty.
It's just simple supply and demand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)