Curious about Chiro (1 Viewer)

gbell

Belly
HSC
I'm in your 12 and i've had my sights on chiro at macquarie for probably about a year now, i was interested to know what sort of courses are involved in the degree, all years. Although im really interested in the occupation im a humanities based person who doesn't do any science based courses in the HSC. Is this going to disadvantage me and are a lot of the courses/subjects whatever you call them based on physics, chem, bio etc. I 'd appreciate anyone's assistance, thanks

slammindas

I wanted to do chiro for a while too, im in yr 12. Before you make up your mind tho u should take a look at some of their theory's and philiosophys as well such as the chiropractic 'sublaxation theory'. That cetainly influenced my choice on it

Pist0ff

slammindas: whats wrong with our "sublaxation" theory?

gbell: if you havent read the other thread already you dont need to have to done any sciences for the hsc, as there are the beginners courses in chem and phys.
(which is alot better than learning harder stuff very irrelevant stuff).

and yes our contact hours are particular high, but no one says they are compulsory :D (except for practicals)

slammindas

read that site i gave to u on the other thread. Sublaxation is bases to all practices, it gets quite amount of income cause chiro's say sublaxions can affect general health "so you should come back every month and ill fix them up for u" by manipulating. But the theory hasnt been proven and condsiderbaly has been proven against. Chiros should only be used for lower back pain

Pist0ff

okay first thing first... you were reading an anti-chiropractic website... its only ever gonna give a negative perspective on chiropractic.

chiropractic is the most researched medical treatment in asia pacific, and has proved to work more effectively than other treatments (i wish i could source this but this is what the lecturer said)

edit:
just a note that generally sublaxations aint a one-crack wonder (ie: fixed after one adjustment) so you do need to come in again. but yes there willl always be some dodgy chiropractor who although there is nothing wrong will tell the patient to come in again... i dont see why you should label the whole profession as dodgy because of one or two ppl...

Last edited:

slammindas

i just dont like the idea, that if i was to be a sucesful chiropractor I would have to tell ppl to have regular checkups so i could fix their sublaxations so that they could remain healhty

Pist0ff

who says you have to do that?
you be pretty stupid if you told your patient to piss off before his injury is healed wouldnt you? that to me sounds more like negligence and your laziness...

once they are fixed they could do whatever the hell they wish...
if pain comes back just pop in again like a patient visiting a doctor...

ekkyzZ

HSC
how hard are the introductory chemistry and physics courses? for a person who has no sciences in his/her hsc?????????

X

xeuyrawp

slammindas said:
that if i was to be a sucesful chiropractor I would have to tell ppl to have regular checkups
I suppose people with other illnesses like HIV, cancer, or arthritis should not have regular check-ups, either?

i just dont like the idea,
Wait, we thought you were just being general! I didn't know that YOU did not like the idea! I mean, if YOU don't like it, it must be bad, right?

bubble_tea

You don't have to have done hsc science to do the degree, but yes, it is heavily science based in the first couple of years. They always start the lectures off easy for people who've never done science so it should be alright. You could always do a boarding course too..

and whats wrong with having regular check ups?

Chiro's regulate the nervous system - we don't just fix back problems!! You might know, the nervous system is the 'communication' device the body uses to transmit information between the brain and the rest of the body vice versa. The spine channels that, and since its surrounded by the segments of bone, the information becomes 'distorted' if theres a misalignment in the vertebral column A.K.A subluxation.. think of it as someone stepping on a hose, where the hose is the spine, water is the information.

We fix anything to do with the body because we believe in the innate intellegence - the body's ability to heal itself. A subluxation could cause the stomach to produce 10 drops of acid instead of the 5 that the brain told it to due to the interferrence of signals. Headaches are a common symptom of a subluxation. So its not just backpain!!

Chiropractors adjust the spine and perform regular checkups as the spine may become subluxated over periods of time due to the person's lifestyle.

How isn't that logical to perceive?

Chiropractic is the top 3rd most used medical profession in Australia, following dentistry and medicine.

^___^
HSC
eh

speaking of chiro
i scored one of those free clinic visit tickets during oweek last wk...

free massage ahoy!

X

xeuyrawp

mz_bubbletea said:
and whats wrong with having regular check ups?
Because medicine is supposed to perform miracles -- if I have a back problem, I know that I can go to my GP, he'll wave a wand and fix it in a once-off visit! :rolleyes:

roger321

HSC
N/A
ekkyzZ said:
how hard are the introductory chemistry and physics courses? for a person who has no sciences in his/her hsc?????????
i would not worry about not having done hsc sciences. They have recently changed the structure of the course so that the core biology + chemistry is taught from a beginner level and for physics you have the option of choosing the beginner subject.
Although studying these sciences in hsc would but some ppl at an advantage its nothing to be worried about really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)