Cultural values in the real inspector hound (1 Viewer)

joshhopp

HSC
hi, i have to do a speech about the conventions in TRIH and also about the cultural values that are explored. the conventions part is easy but i can't find much about cultural values. any help? thanks

marezmac

The new mexican...
HSC
probably more society but what about the cheap romance thing with felicity and birdboot while he contemplates leaving his wife?

might be able to tie in... the whole being a english set drawing room play, satirised of course

sorry, hated this play! not a great deal of help

J

jhakka

I can't help with all that, as I just read the play this afternoon. I loved it.

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
umm maybe the classes in society like the maid, the upper class Lady and Lord, the Inspector and his standing in society, the position of police and critics and the fact that it's a play, like maybe look at the audience and stuff

soiled_poncho

The cultural values are primarily the rejection of mainstream society in keeping with the Absurdist movement as a reaction against the war. Essentially, the play is about the meaninglessness of culture and civilisation, as they are based around a world that has no strong foundation.

persephone

HSC
i don't know what the cultural values are. My teacher spent like no time on explaining stuff like that. he basically just read the play to us in class. i think stuff about critics and the predictability of the golden age, like agathat christie and stuff. hey, i need help too!

classics_chic

HSC
look at the way that conventions are played with- that's the cultural value. From the playing with of conventions you get the theory of existentialism (life sucks and doesn't matter, basically)- especially shown through the fact that people die and come back to life- which was very big at the time Stoppard wrote this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)