• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Cultural Studies (1 Viewer)

yupkigirl__

HSC
So I'm thinking of majoring in this, or maybe taking some of the units next semester...has anyone taken any such units, or is planning to major in Cultural Studies? Feedback would be awesome :D

HSC
I did GCST2601 last year. It wasn't as interesting as I thought it would be...but if you like Englishy subjects and are interested in studying contemporary culture its fine.

kay90

HSC
I'm thinking of majoring in Cultural Studies but I'm not planning to start it till 2nd year next year cause of the 18 junior credit point prerequisite.

Silver Persian, tell me more about Cultural Studies! I'm liking what you're saying!

Miss Winey

HSC
hey
I was going to major in this, then it didn't really fit my timetable well, so i only did 4 senior subjects for it. (which is a sort of a minor i guess)

I really liked it!
I did a few in anthropology, but i found the stuff a bit too "those ooo-haa cavemen living in the forests of blahblah land" and wasn't "contemporary" enough for me.
I haven't done any in sociology but i did society and culture at school, and was over the "what is culture? what is society? what is environment? what is person?"

Cultural studies kinda looks at the way we view/understand the things around us and how they shape our thinking.
it looks at the minute as well as the big picture.
such as the Chinese family style of eating is 'sharing' the main dishes, as oppose to the western style of 'order your own'. this hints at the subtle elements of why communism exists in China and why capitalism thrives in the west. and how culture makes that work.

I thought it was SO interesting.
and it is helping me greatly with my engineering thesis on 3rd world sustainable development

kay90

HSC
hey
I was going to major in this, then it didn't really fit my timetable well, so i only did 4 senior subjects for it. (which is a sort of a minor i guess)

I really liked it!
I did a few in anthropology, but i found the stuff a bit too "those ooo-haa cavemen living in the forests of blahblah land" and wasn't "contemporary" enough for me.
I haven't done any in sociology but i did society and culture at school, and was over the "what is culture? what is society? what is environment? what is person?"

Cultural studies kinda looks at the way we view/understand the things around us and how they shape our thinking.
it looks at the minute as well as the big picture.
such as the Chinese family style of eating is 'sharing' the main dishes, as oppose to the western style of 'order your own'. this hints at the subtle elements of why communism exists in China and why capitalism thrives in the west. and how culture makes that work.

I thought it was SO interesting.
and it is helping me greatly with my engineering thesis on 3rd world sustainable development

Very helpful! Thankyou! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)