Cuban Missile Crisis! (1 Viewer)

da_butterfree

HSC
N/A
I desperately need some help with Cuba.. My teacher didnt know that we were supposed to cover atleast 2 specific debates in depth.. she wasted so so much time on the space race and Civil rights... we've got no clue abt anything else. however, i began my research on Cuba yesterday (better late than never :( ) and have kinda gone through the historians.. have read hersh and sorenson.. (theres too much to read ) well my question is..

what was the final outcome of the crisis? like how did it end?

also, any other info / notes on the same topic would be greatly appriciated..

thanks.

ZabZu

HSC
How did it end?
I'll tell you briefly. The Russians stopped sending ships to Cuba and they dismantled their existing missiles in Cuba. The US in return promised not to threaten Cuba (Castro in particular). However, JFK secretly withdrew American missiles from Turkey which were in range of Russia.

The backdown resulted from the 2 letters from Krushchev and American pressure at the United Nations.

If you are interested in the topic, watch 13 days. Its really good at outlining the events, excpet its very long.

hanjoc

cuba is in the cold war topic in modern history, so maybe that forum has more stuff...you have to do an in depth study of one of the crisis so maybe thats it. the histiography for that would be pretty easy once you find it though? i imagine it should be pretty clear cut, Russians, Americans and then those from outside perspectives?
America pretty much got out of trouble in that through manipulating what it told the public as well - in its withdrawal of missiles from Turkey. i think (cant remember completely) that the US didnt want to make out they were submitting to communists in any way, but thats how it ended and then he'd try make others think thats not how the crisis ended?
13 days is excellent though for a summary - pretty close to the truth and presidential speeches and everything are true to the word. quite good for revision.
Hope ive been of some help

Plebeian

gordo said:
i know that it was goig on around the same time as the vietnam war
Well, not really... the missile crisis was October 1962. There were US advisors in Vietnam from 61 but war was not declared (ie. Gulf of Tonkin Resolution) until August 1964, and US troops did not arrive until March 1965. So I wouldn't bring Vietnam into it, it's probably best left as a separate issue.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
oh yeh, not the war as in hot war conflict
but the vietnam crisis started around 1956 i think with trumans containment policy
correct me if i'm wrong though

although we studied it this yr in modern, so i should remember haha

Plebeian

Yeah I think you're right, I don't actually do modern so you would know best... Indochina is a whole separate area of debate within the JFK case study anyway, so I don't think it needs to be related to the missile crisis (ie. the situation in Indochina didn't have a huge effect on the crisis, things like the Vienna conference were more relevant).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)