CSU info day 2006 (1 Viewer)

just_me

just_me
HSC
hi everyone.

This is a thread for those who are interested in learning more about CSU and the communications course which it offers.

I am a second year Journalism Student so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask and if you have questions about advertising, public relations, theatre media, comm radio and so on ask and i will speak to people who do the course and hopefully get an answer for you.

The best way for people to access answers to questions related to the CSU Comm courses is to speak directly with the people who put them together so thats why CSU is hosting the info day. The details are as follows:

The day is being held at Sydneys Powerhouse Museum Target Theatre (500 Harris Street, Ultimo) on saturday the 26 August from 10am to 4pm

Courses included:

Bathurst:

Advertising, Advertising/Marketing, Commercial Radio, Journalism (print and Broadcast), Public Relations, Public Relations/Business, Theatre Media

Wagga Wagga:

Acting for Screen and Stage, Design for theatre and Television, Fine Art, Graphic Design, Jewellery, Multimedia/Animation & Visual effects, Photography, Television Production.

Dont forget if you cant make the info day then CSU runs the open day every day scheme where you ring and make a booking and then have a guided tour around the uni.

Good luck with your trials!

leeha

HSC
Thanks heaps for that info, i'll deffo be there.

im looking into the theatre media course, from what i've read, it feels like the course for me...but i really wanna know exactly whats involved...

do you know what the entry requirments are like and such?

when i tried to talk to my careers advisor about all these, he started going on some insane tangent like i was doing tv production in wagga and then started recomending uni's in lismore...so all i got outta that was some sheets about southern cross uni and one very confused leah

just_me

just_me
HSC
hi,

The theatre media course is definitley a big one at CSU. I know a few people doing the course and they all thoroughly enjoy it.

In regards to entry requirements, I am not certain but am fairly sure you have to attend a audition either in sydney or bathurst and perform for the selectors. Not sure how many pieces but i think two at least. (will find out some more info for you but my friends are still on holidays so will prob be early next week)

I also know in first year the TM students go on a camp and bond. No one is sure what goes on there unless you are a TM and have been yourself but from what i can gather, it is a hell of a lot of fun!

The course does not only consist of performance it also looks at analysis of theatre and scriptwriting and writing for theatre.

Sorry if this was a bit vague but i will get some more info next week for you.

leeha

HSC
thanks heaps for that info...and the future info you may find haha
do you know if the course is very competitive to get into?
i'm not looking very much into the performance side of things more the production side...arts management and that kind of deal

eb06

HSC
Thanks for that information, i'll be there.

I was just wondering, and this is directed mianly at current CSU students at Bathurst, what the opportunities are for part time or casual work in Bathurst?

Im looking at going there next year, but i'm worried i wont get a job on the side and be broke! What is it like?

Thanks heaps!

just_me

just_me
HSC
That is a valid concern. I had the problem when i came to uni.

My recommendation is come up a week before O-Week if you get into your course next year and put your resume in absolutley everywhere. It works and then u get in before most of the other returning and first year students do too.

Get your RSA/RCG. This really will make your life easier and if you have experience in cafes or bars/pubs this will also help.

But if you want something bad enough you will get it and pateince is definitley the key.

Anyways hope that helps.

Dr_Doom

HSC
Hey I am looking into this degree, and majoring in journalism. Is this different to commercial radio? What should I do to become a radio announcer..?

Also sent you a PM..

leeha

HSC
heyyy..

just found out i wont be able to make it to the info day which annoys me greeatly..
just wondering..if you could possibly point me in the direction of talking to someone who is doing the theatre media course...wouldnt mind some first hand info if its possible..

looks like i ll have to book one of those tours around the uni..

Nick0

Generic.User
HSC
Well, after going to the Open Day last week, I have to say that I'm very pleased with the course offerings by this University and will be trying my hardest to (a) get in there and (b) raise enough funds to actually afford Accommodation, etc.

Dr_Doom

HSC
There should be a specific UAI to get in. Because if I'd rather put other unis at the top of my selection list if I know I have no hope of getting in.

Nick0

Generic.User
HSC
Actually, I rather no UAI, and more emphasis on the skills and creative works of the individual, because people like I, although we may have the intellectual capacity, and do try our hardest do (more often than not) fall through the cracks of the HSC/UAC system.

k8tus

HSC
hey there,

erm i was just wondering if i should bother with organising a tour around the wagga campus before applying?i live nearly 4hr away and just wondering if it was worth it.
my dad works at the bathurst campus and some of my friends said that the campus in bathurst and wagga are quite similar.

so yea just wondering and would be greatful for any insight...

ciao k8t

Tegga

HSC
due to the placment of my sisters wedding i was un able to attent the open day. does any onr has any infomation that they could give me about csu?

leeha

HSC
Yeah i couldn't get there either and really wanna talk to someone whos doing the theatre media course.. argghhh i duno if i should put it as my first preference :(

Lou_86

pro procrastinator
HSC
theatre media students are crazy!!!
they're also heaps friendly thou, definitely have a reputation on campus as being loud and eccentric... do you have any specific questions?

leeha

HSC
yeah just wanna know the general gist of the course. :)
I dont wanna go for performance even though i know thats a part of it.
I wanna know what type of things are in the interveiw and when they were scheduled annnnnnnnnnd stuff.
just wish i went to the open day..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)