Crusader seeks Tamagotchi ban (1 Viewer)

malkin86

HSC
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,16139305%5E1702,00.html

Crusader seeks Tamagotchi ban

August 03, 2005

AN anti-poker machine crusader wants the latest version of the hand-held Tamagotchi toy banned because he says it encourages children to gamble.

The computerised pocket toy sparked a worldwide craze a decade ago, and a new version just been launched this year.

Tamagotchi Connection Version 2, which recently hit toy stores across Australia, is an egg-shaped toy that simulates the life cycle of a real pet.

The virtual pet eventually dies if it is not cared for properly.

On the fourth day after the toy is activated, it features a slot machine game and asks players to place a bet before spinning the tumblers.

South Australian No Pokies MP Nick Xenophon said it was outrageous that a toy marketed at children aged four and over featured a pokies-style game.

Mr Xenophon wants the toy banned or at least given an R rating by the Office of Film and Literature Classification.

The toy has a G rating.

"This virtual pet encourages children as young as four to participate in poker machine-style gambling," Mr Xenophon said today.

"Kids become so emotionally attached to these toys that they grieve for them when they die.

"This version ... should not be available to children.

"Research here and overseas shows that these games can turn the kids of today in to the gambling addicts of tomorrow."

One Adelaide father had taken the toy away from his six-year-old son after becoming concerned about the pokies game, Mr Xenophon said.

Tamagotchis were first released in 1996, and were the most popular Christmas toy in Australia the following year.

They were relaunched in 2004 before a redesigned second version was released earlier this year.

Comment was being sought from the US-based distributors.
Apparently the tamagotchi-playing world is in an uproar - they reckon that the pollie is over-reacting. I'd prefer a parental lock than a ban or an R rating. What do youse think?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I think my sis has one of the new tamagotchis (she couldn't believe that when I was at school I witnessed the first tamagotchi craze.... she was annoyed because I hadn't kept my vintage tamagotchi lol)...

Personally I don't think it is that big a deal. I mean you are exposed to gambling on tv, even online kids games... I don't think it makes that big a difference, and perhaps one could argue that it shows them the consequences of gambling- you win some, you lose some. Its up to parents to decide in my opinion.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
I'm a hoarder so I've got everything from my Yoho Diablo to my pokemon cards to my original tamagotchi.

I whacked a new battery in it yesterday and I heart it <3.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
I think my sis has one of the new tamagotchis (she couldn't believe that when I was at school I witnessed the first tamagotchi craze.... she was annoyed because I hadn't kept my vintage tamagotchi lol)...

Personally I don't think it is that big a deal. I mean you are exposed to gambling on tv, even online kids games... I don't think it makes that big a difference, and perhaps one could argue that it shows them the consequences of gambling- you win some, you lose some. Its up to parents to decide in my opinion.
Pokemon cartridges used to have pokie machines in them.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Mario 64 DS' minigames are all about gambling:

- Craps
- Blackjack
- Poker
- Slots

Everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)