Critique my answer (1 Viewer)

scardizzle

Salve!
HSC
Since our school never finished this topic I had to teach myself the standard model and so I was wandering if my response to this dotpoint was correct.

Q: Discuss the key features and the components of the standard model of matter, including quarks and leptons

A: The standard model is a theory of 3 of the 4 fundamental interactions and the elementary particles that take part in these interactions. These particles make up all the visible universe and can be divided into 3 categories; leptons, quarks and bosons. Leptons are particles that do not experience the strong nuclear force examples of which include electrons and neutrinos. There are 6 "flavours" of quarks which are particles found in the nucleus and form larger particles known as hadrons. Bosons are force carrying particles with a 0/intergral value of spin and do not obey Pauli's Exclusion Principle.

- Do I need to include limitations for this dot point?

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Bally didn't finish it? :O

I don't think you need to know about Bosons.

Also, you need to actually know (ie. MEMORISE) the electronic charge of all the different flavours and their names (ie. up, down, charm, strange etc).

You need to know what makes up a proton and electron. (Not sure about neutrons at the top of my head).

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC
The standard model of matter recognises four fundamental forces in nature - graviational force, EM force, strong nuclear force and weak nuclear force. The standard model describes three of these forces in terms of force carrying particles called Bosons. The EM force is carried by photons, strong nuclear force carried by gluons and the weak nuclear force carried by the W particle. There are 12 basic subatomic particles - 6 leptons and 6 types "flavours" of quarks. Leptons include electron, muon, tau, electron neutrino, muon neutrino and tau neutrino. The hadrons include baryons and mesons which are made from smaller particles called quarks.

From 2009 CSSA marking scheme for question "Outline the key features of the standard model of matter"

For "Discuss" you would need to include things along the lines of what types of quarks make up specific baryons and/or mesons and also include the limitations of the standard model of matter (i.e., gravity being much weaker than the others, and the search for the Higgs Boson)

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I don't think you need to go through all baryons and mesons.

You need to know all the different flavours of quarks and leptons and their electronic charges.

You need to state that protons are made up by 2 up and 1 down quark and neutron is made of 1 up and 2 down (I just checked my notes, so ignore my previous post) and quarks experience strong nuclear force, and leptons experience electrostatic force.

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC
I don't think you need to go through all baryons and mesons.

You need to know all the different flavours of quarks and leptons and their electronic charges.

You need to state that protons are made up by 2 up and 1 down quark and neutron is made of 1 up and 2 down (I just checked my notes, so ignore my previous post) and quarks experience strong nuclear force, and leptons experience electrostatic force.
Sorry, i should have clarified. I meant just the baryons which you should have learnt, i.e., Proton, neutron.
You may need to link the baryons and mesons together under the "hadron" family, which is simply matter which are composed of quarks.
Distinguish between the baryon as the group of particles made up of three quarks and the mesons as the group of particles made up on one quark and one antiquark etc...

scardizzle

Salve!
HSC
yeh, his solution was that we should learn it at the beginning of term 4 since year 11' s have to come back

boxhunter91

HSC
I wouldnt fairly worry too much about this d.p. Just know that protons-neutrons are 3 quark combos and an electron is a quark-antiquark combo. Generally they ask those sorts of questions/.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
yeh, his solution was that we should learn it at the beginning of term 4 since year 11' s have to come back
=\ That's not very smart... Umm I can send you my lesson notes from class about the std model of matter if you want. McCallum summarises things nicely and give us the stuff that we must know.

You're never on MSN btw?

heirware

HSC
I thought the force carriers were specifically called Gauge Bosons, Bosons being a catchall term for particles with integer spins similar to Fermions with half integer spins (encompassing both quarks and leptons).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)