Critical Response crisis (1 Viewer)

mibiony

"fully sick"
HSC
Hey, I was wondering, with a critical reponse, would it be a good idea to begin with a quote or end with one? Or both? I'm getting opinions from everyone saying like different things. I'm doing shakespeare, so I thought either have a quote from one of his plays, or a quote from someone about him, but i'm confused and I don't know what to do! Any ideas or suggestions anyone?
So far im on track with my major work, i'm almost finished my 1st draft, but im scared to be critised about it because i know its bad!! but its so personal!!

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
I'm having quotes all throughout - spoken by my Greek Ancient playwright, and from his plays, and also what people have said about him.

I think quotes makes it look good. but that's my opinion, coz i love quotes!

Blackalicious

HSC
im starting with one and ending with one, using quotes is very effective but dont over do it.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
There is a general rule with quotes.. only use them if they will enhance the argument, response.. etc.

Do not use quotes to make it look flashy or if you dont have a real purpose for them.

mibiony

"fully sick"
HSC
thanks for your advice everyone! :) I'll be using quotes only when i need to verify an argument and one at the end.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
Originally posted by Will_Sparky
There is a general rule with quotes.. only use them if they will enhance the argument, response.. etc.

Do not use quotes to make it look flashy or if you dont have a real purpose for them.
lmao thanks Sparky. What would I do without you???? *runs off to change mw*

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Originally posted by grk_styl
lmao thanks Sparky. What would I do without you???? *runs off to change mw*
No no... if they will enhance the argument thet're fine! For eg. integrating quotes from arguments....

I LOVE integrated quote (I am SUCH a lusa!)

mibiony

"fully sick"
HSC
ahhh okay.. so for instance, if i wanted to put forward what mark twain said about shakespeare etc, i'd quote from him, so that the marker doesnt think im making it up.. but not like a whole paragraph etc...
don't think im stupid bout this, i swear like i just began to get so confused all of a sudden about quoting, because a lot of people gave me different advice and such.. but thankyou for your advice

mibiony

"fully sick"
HSC
In my mw, when I start discussing one of Sophocles' plays I include a quote from that play. So it's like 3 plays, 3 quotes before I discuss each play. Do u think that sounds ok?
I think that's a good way to introduce the play that you'll be discussing. With me, i'm segmenting my major work, and at the begining of each section i'll be putting a quote (in order for me to begin my argument), so i guess yeh, it does sound okay. have you asked like any of your teachers or peers ?

alphatango

Resident Geek
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Will_Sparky

Of course, if you can do *both*... :p I saw one critical response where the quote at the beginning of each section of the major work basically set the tone for that section and introduced the material in a couple of sentences...very effective *and* flashy.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I'm using quotes for each section... I'm writing about a television show though, so I'm integrating the quotes as titles for sections and such

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
Originally posted by alphatango
Of course, if you can do *both*... :p I saw one critical response where the quote at the beginning of each section of the major work basically set the tone for that section and introduced the material in a couple of sentences...very effective *and* flashy.
That's what I'm doing.

Originally posted by glycerine
I'm using quotes for each section... I'm writing about a television show though, so I'm integrating the quotes as titles for sections and such
I really want to read yours when it's done. lol

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I really want to read yours when it's done. lol
see you in 2012, then ;-p at this rate I'll have a 2nd draft churned out by then. maybe.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
If relevant, epigraphs can be a very effective means of introducing your piece. As for concluding with a quote, this depends more upon whether it makes a better statement than something of your own writing..

missemjay

be daring!

basically do what you want if it sounds good. the rules in extension 2 for critical essays are much less strict than those of advanced. for example, i went to the ext 2 essay course at knox and they showed us the best band pieces and this essay on existientiality starts with "its me, student no, 2309454 against the board... you will probably hate my thesis but i dont really care - its not meant for you anyway"
so thats a confrontational introduction if i ever saw one. so think outside the box! grab the markers attention into your piece. be adventurous for gods sake!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
YEAH! i have that one! it was the fight club/neo existentialist one!

that was pretty good but i wasnt interested but the reflection statement was DAMN GOOD!! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)