Critical Readings of Yeats (1 Viewer)

nicola99

Could anyone please tell me how to write critical studies of Yeats and which types of critical studies would be good to use? Thanks heaps

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
ok i used second coming and sailing to byzantium however remember they may very well ask you to do a specific poem so you might as well be prepared for them all (they did it in 01 i think).

i did marxist for one reading however most teachers advise against this; the only reason i did is because second coming is great for marxism. one of the easiest readings is to look at it from a historical reading, where you would use a poem like easter 1916 and look at the historical context of the poem, how it reflects irish history etc. a symbolist reading is also good as yeat's poetry is full of symbolism, however you do have to do a bit of research for it.

warlivoecks

critical readings

hello....

omg am i happy i cheked this site....i thought we were the only class in the whole state that was doing yeats..what teacher in their rite mind would make us do this? BUT,..i must honestly say that after studying him, u find his work interesting but not any more easy...

Im using criticisms from a book called "Critics of yeats" i got it from the fisher library at sydney uni and its really good....Pound has some good criticisms, as does elliot and Krans..however i do not suggest u use the very popular orwell one thats on the net..it is not only hard to support, but too many ppl will be using it and its alot harder than many other ones which actually make direct links to the poems.

good luk with all the study and hope u all do well....esp in yeats! yay!

jp

Damien Szy

HSC
Response

I don't understand why you people always seem to talk about doing only one or two poems. the meaning of a critical study is that you would basiccally take teh six poems and use parts of them all that are indicative of Yeats career as taken from a certain perspective: ie feminist, modern and romantic. As I have said elsewher, the keey is a holistic approach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)