critical essay style (1 Viewer)

pHaTso

HSC
hey just curious... what's ur essay style like?

i'm a linear, concise (but i do write detailed, techniques 24/7 all integrated if u get me) but i don't write "beautiful" like other class members do. i'm coming 5th out of 14 n i get around 80-85% in my critical essay section of EE1. r there any tips that can help me improve plz? or atleast what i would like to know is if markers hold it against u if u hav a different writing style n don't sound "beautiful" like other students?? thanx :)

GB (goodluck as well everybody!!)

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
I've always had very good essays, but recently I've added a "critic's voice" into my essays... my teacher was pleased with that, maybe thats something you can add. For my trials I got 45/50. I stuffed up my essay and got only 20/25 for it, despite it being very well written. I didnt really study at all, so no real depth. So the remedy to this, as my teacher commented, would be to make sure you have specific and detailed scene/character analysis and make sure you have a strong critical argument. It is a critical essay and you have to formulate a solid argument backed up with good examples.

Nothing more you can really do. If you do all that and write well enough, you will get great marks. I'm studying quite a bit for this exam, so hopefully I do much better. Good luck to you to!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
im in pretty much the same sort of boat as trigger. generally speaking, essays are my strong point (a fact i thank the good god of essay writing for every day! :p). everything you're doing is great pHaTso - maybe try incorporating some specific critics and critical theorists into your work?

HSC
N/A
Hmm for me essay writing is all about practice.

I remember, way back at the beginning of Yr 11 Mr E was talking about integration and I'm like, "what the?!?!" so I try to integrate, but I get so confused that my essays don't even make sense. *sigh*

I must admit, being more of a creative writer than essay writer I sometimes have to remind myself to talk about the techniques. I love an essay with good flow and will push myself to go the extra mile in order to do so. But when in doubt, get all your info out. So long as it's understandable and steady, (as opposed to confused) then all is good.

DaRanjed

What do you mean by having a "critic's voice"? :) Can you please give us an example?

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
For example: Anne Cranny Francsis describes the female detective as transgressing "sexist female tereotypes; she is competent, intelligent and in charge of her own sexuality."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)