CriminaL jUSTICE System- HELP~ (1 Viewer)

dezzy

HSC
Can anyone plz tell me what the criminal justice system is?

ive got a question i need to answer and i need to say what difficulties can be experienced in dealing with the ciminal justice system???

HELP!!!!:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

nicole

Well... the criminal justice system is basically the area of the legal system which deals with criminal law. I'm not sure how much detail you are meant to go into, but maybe you could look at such things as accessibility to the law, how well these laws are enforced and how well they protect individuals and society as a whole. Also, its important that criminal law balances the rights of individuals and society, and uses resources efficiently. You could also maybe talk about police discretion and how they may abuse the power etc etc. Basically just look at your textbook and the syllabus and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for. Hope all that kinda helps you:)

= Jennifer =

HSC
nicole beat me my 3 mins lol

i think it just means the normal legal system though dealing with criminal issues so therefore you would probably have to look at your syllabus to help you......page 45 of the hsc syllabus is a good start

dezzy

HSC
thanks guys!!!

does detterant, retribution etc etc etc fall under this category do u's think?

nicole

Its hard for me to say coz I dont know what the exact question is. If I was you, I probably wouldn't talk so much about retribution etc. I say just choose some issues and discuss them, eg
1. Reporting a crime- many crimes go unreported because
* people fear the consequences of reporting
* they are suspicious of the criminal justice system
2. Investigation- police may use their discretion in each situation. Some people believe this leads to discrmination, eg against Aborigines, youth
3. Impact Of Technology- eg concern over the reliability of DNA blood sampling and genetic analysis
They are just some examples that I can think of, you will probably find more. If you need to you can then go into the 'criteria' (by the end of year 12 you will have used these stacks of times.) Basically these different criteria help you to access the effectiveness of the legal system. In your case, you'd be looking at the ineffectivess or difficulties that there are in these areas, eg
1. Equality- poor vs wealthy, influence of the media, discrimination against youth, Aborigines etc
2. Accessibility- the cost, time and knowledge that you need within the criminal justice system
3. The protection and recognition of individual rights- the rights of victims of crime, eg to have their allegations investigated, does this always happen?
4. Resource Efficiency- how effective is the spending of funds on police, courts, corrective services etc etc

I hope that all makes some kind of sense. You can use you opinion too, wat difficulties do you think there are? Good Luck! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)