Crime Fiction (1 Viewer)

Gamine

I reckon go with what you know.
As long as your arguments and points and links are strong and backed up by evidence, you can't go wrong.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I think it should be fine. It would have worked very well for last year's HSC question ...

arls

mclake/ anyone else who knows what theyre talking about...

is it absolutely essential to have different forms of texts to write about? ive got 2 supp texts: agatha christie written in 1941 to compare to big sleep written in the same era, and The Black Rubber Dress 'tart noir' novel written 2 years ago to show the female hardboiled and how she has evolved blablabla...

but is it neccessary to have a film text even though my novels are extremly good in linking to my other texts? (the other is snow falling on cedars.. stark contrast to rubber dress.. written in same era though...) Is it possible they will ask specifically TEXTS OF DIFFERENT MEDIUMS? should i have limited material in mind just in case i HAVE to write a paragraph on a diff medium, or should i just leave it now and pray for the best? help me.. dont know what to do!

Bl@h

McLake i know it is a bit late in the day now but ne chance u can post a question on here bit like the 2001 hsc some time before tomoz?? (the interview one)
Thanks
Blair

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Woah... If they ask to have texts of different mediums I'm screwed. I used only books, because doing a movie would be too hard for me (no tv). I don't think it's absolutely essential to do different text types. BUT I do think that if you're going to do The Big Sleep, it would be a good idea to also have another movie, so you can compare film techniques etc. which aren't evident in written material.

arls

Originally posted by Daemontreu
Woah... If they ask to have texts of different mediums I'm screwed. I used only books, because doing a movie would be too hard for me (no tv). I don't think it's absolutely essential to do different text types. BUT I do think that if you're going to do The Big Sleep, it would be a good idea to also have another movie, so you can compare film techniques etc. which aren't evident in written material.
shit.. im doing big sleep.. and my supps are books... crap.. maybe agatha christie is okay cause it is from the same era as big sleep and i can compare the diverse focus's even though theyre constructed in the same time period.. what dya think?

Charlie

yeah, i rekon u should be fine comparing them in terms of context but perhaps just make sure you mention film techniques (ie film noir, voice overs) for Big Sleep just to show that you know film techniques. that was why i lost some marks in the trials coz i didnt mention a lot of techniques in film. I'm using 3 films (prob not thhe best idea was it? but i cant b bothered reading!) and it is really necessary to mention HOW the composer achieved effects such as mystery, suspense, with the techniques as well as content and using or subverting conventions.

am i on the right track thinking that the question should ask something along the lines of why conventions are important to a genre and how the have changed, and something to do with how CF is the vehicle to express a context or socialogical message??? has anyone got any ideas of a good way to prepare for this exam??? coz i'm lost. the questions are always so vague and i just dont know what i should b doing to prepare now??

the other thing is I HATE CREATIVE WRITING!!!! IT SUX!!!! what does everyone else try and do for it? i tend to get alright marks, but not fantastic, and if anyone does really well, can u tell me how the hell u do it? do u stick with one story and adapt it? or dou have an idea u use, or character or crime, or WHAT THE HELL???? i really hate it!

the other thing is, how does everyone manage their time? half and half?

arls

Charlie.. thanks for the stuff on the film techniques i will certainly try to use plenty of them! I think the question could be on significance of the context like you said.. but it could be on a number of things. it will definitely in some way relate to genre and conventions.

my suggestion for preparing is what im doing right now.. search the net for as many practice trials/questions you can and either write the hardest ones out, do a big mind map of your texts and how they relate to questions, or write out essay plans in detail as to how you would respond

i think there is only a certain number of areas they can delve into and if youve looked at the main areas from other papers you should get a question tomorow that you have looked at in some way.... i find this most effective.

creative writing.. wouldnt have a clue but originality is definitely the key.. and gotta demonstrate the conventions of course!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by arls
mclake/ anyone else who knows what theyre talking about...

is it absolutely essential to have different forms of texts to write about? ive got 2 supp texts: agatha christie written in 1941 to compare to big sleep written in the same era, and The Black Rubber Dress 'tart noir' novel written 2 years ago to show the female hardboiled and how she has evolved blablabla...

but is it neccessary to have a film text even though my novels are extremly good in linking to my other texts? (the other is snow falling on cedars.. stark contrast to rubber dress.. written in same era though...) Is it possible they will ask specifically TEXTS OF DIFFERENT MEDIUMS? should i have limited material in mind just in case i HAVE to write a paragraph on a diff medium, or should i just leave it now and pray for the best? help me.. dont know what to do!

You can use any text you want, but try not to have ALL of one text type

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Bl@h
McLake i know it is a bit late in the day now but ne chance u can post a question on here bit like the 2001 hsc some time before tomoz?? (the interview one)
Thanks
Blair
Maybe when I get home, (around 6-ish)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
As to other posts:

- the best way to prepare is to write a few practice essays

- you can relate film techniques to book techniques, that's fine ...

natsirk

I know its last minute but could someone give me a list of techniques used in tSBtS to present convention and/or values?
I have everything else but I can't find any notes on this!

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
cosy: isolated setting, limited suspects, middleclass environment, denouement, ordered..sort of:D(no random stuff hahah)... divergence from these traditional conventions: unfulfilling resolution, 1 on 1 denouement, female protagonist is active and gets involved rather than just the pure-logic-sitting-in-the-background type of miss marple... infact her life is threatened... all these changes you link to the postmodernism, feminism and various other changes the society have undergone that are pretty straight forward. I was actually gonna approach this text from the angle of crime being secondary to theme exploration the character interaction/psycholgical exploration and how the theme is linked to the context, bullshitting bout increasing superficiality and greediness of society ...bah...i hate skull beneath the skin :D

Timmo

conventions AND values

hey everyone...
sorry if im wrong nut every1 seems to be hung up on crime conventions when ive constantly been told by markers and teachers that values are as important and every time u mention a convention discuss values...so yeah i just thought id make sure every1 knows that values in crime fiction in this topic are just as important ...even in stories

GOODLUCK 2moro evry1

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Yeah Im going to back everything up with values...cos its that crap that gets you the marks

Bl@h

yep values and contexts of the author and audience and the ability to integrate them with the conventions used/subverted along with a discussion of techniques is what distinguishes an A range from a B range student! You have to do so bloody much it isnt funny! And i agree the creative is a bitch they will mark u down for being cliched but it is so hard not to be cliched without being too postmodern and them just marking you down for that too. you can always parody the sleuth or hardboiled a.k.a Stoppard but the risk there is it being read as cliche not as parody if it is not effective so a bit dangerous. McLake any chance that you can post the question that i asked about earlier if not dont worry. Good luck every1 remember stay calm and u'll b sweet ciao blair

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Re: conventions AND values

Originally posted by Timmo
hey everyone...
sorry if im wrong nut every1 seems to be hung up on crime conventions when ive constantly been told by markers and teachers that values are as important and every time u mention a convention discuss values...so yeah i just thought id make sure every1 knows that values in crime fiction in this topic are just as important ...even in stories

GOODLUCK 2moro evry1
Yeah, is that basically things like say;
The use of colloquial language in 'The Big Sleep' and other film noir texts is indicative of an uneducated element of society, thus enhancing the sub-genre's depiction of a criminal 'underworld'. Additionally, references by Marlowe to such authors as Marcel Proust suggest his seperation from this sphere, investigating the underworld with an 'outside' mindset, and as such functioning as a conduit for vicarity on the part of the responder., or something similar?

Last edited:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Bl@h
McLake any chance that you can post the question that i asked about earlier if not dont worry.
I'm sorry, but I can't seem to find it (check boardofstudies if you are deperate). You should be asleep by now anyway.

Good Luck all. Tell us all about it tommorow ...

Bl@h

def not asleep still studying bloody english..thanks any way man! ah well if they give us a bitch arse question like that they r just slack prics ne way i feel sorry for 2001 people. Good luck all
Blair

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)