Crime Fiction and the importance of techniques (1 Viewer)

Eeko

Banned
Im wondering do we really need to focus on the techniques of our texts for crime fictoin in any essay?

like with adv eng, techniques is crucial, but with ext, is it as important since the focus of ext is more with contextual forces, conventions etc..

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
I'm also wondering the same thing
Would we need to have a few key scenes in mind to analyse in detail, or would we just need more general examples

kazerati

hmm, yeh...

im thinking that it would be a good idea to have a sound knowledge of the different conventions of the different subgenres, and examples of how the composers portray these... therefore not only the examples the composers have used, but also the techniques they used to do so..

i think techniques will also come in handy for other aspects, like how the composer builds tension and suspense, and what they do to make you believe - or even just consider - the red herrings.

so, i must say thanks to you for raising this question, coz its helped me massively!!! gettin all my thoughts in the right order n wateva.

of course, it all depends on the question, and how much time youve got, but if you at least allude to specific eg's, then theyll be able to tell you know what youre talking about.. right? (im being optimistic here!!)

so yes - go the tecko's!!!!

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
in crime fiction u dun have to bullshit as much abt how techniques convey meaning an shit.. more just talk abt the different techniques used in the texts, compare the changes over time etc

theyre good to use when discussing film noir, different sub genres and their conventions

beemo5678

Well.....i feel amazingly unprepared for this exam, however i don't think it is very daunting. I agreee i think we need to use techniques, but only in the way of proving our point. My teacher says that there are three important points in any essay, you make a statement, you give a reason for making that statement and you back that up with a solid example and i say why not go the whole hog and back up your example with some techniques the composer has used.

either way i'm so failing lol :cool:

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
Originally posted by beemo5678
Well.....i feel amazingly unprepared for this exam...
either way i'm so failing lol :cool:
my thoughts exactly... Studying for english is the worst, it takes me fucking ages to get anything done, so much fucking around and such, especially with Ext1 being, in my eyes, not very straightforward at all

Eeko

Banned
well it is an extension subject
no extension subjects are easy without hard work

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by Eeko
Im wondering do we really need to focus on the techniques of our texts for crime fictoin in any essay?

like with adv eng, techniques is crucial, but with ext, is it as important since the focus of ext is more with contextual forces, conventions etc..
Focus on conventions and HOW those conventions are set and delivered

timmii

sporadic attendee
Ok the course is about the value of the genre. Part of the value is in how what it is portraying is presented, and how that is influenced by various techniques etc.

Don't think of techniques as a separate subsection of "stuff to know", it should be part and parcel of whatever your point about the genre is, even if its a throwaway line here and there.

Just to make something really dodgy up off the top of my head:
"the obscured figures, shadows and pervading darkness of film noir portrays crime as an insidious evil tainting all corners of society. By manipulating the conventions of the genre and adapting it to the developing post-war disillusionment, crime ficton became a new medium for communicating disaffection with humanity"

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by timmii
Ok the course is about the value of the genre. Part of the value is in how what it is portraying is presented, and how that is influenced by various techniques etc.

Don't think of techniques as a separate subsection of "stuff to know", it should be part and parcel of whatever your point about the genre is, even if its a throwaway line here and there.

Just to make something really dodgy up off the top of my head:
"the obscured figures, shadows and pervading darkness of film noir portrays crime as an insidious evil tainting all corners of society. By manipulating the conventions of the genre and adapting it to the developing post-war disillusionment, crime ficton became a new medium for communicating disaffection with humanity"
What she said + stuff about context

smeyo

yeah it will mainly deal with conventions but also how the composer has used techniques to convey those conventions or in "the real inspector hound"'s case how they are cubverted through the use of parody, farce and gross exaggeration......thus how techniques achieve conventions.... like first person narration can put you in the mind of the detective... etc...

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
i dunno if someone already said this - but the main focus of crime fiction is to look at it as a genre - so you should use techniques of each subgenre

eg. film noir techniques (low light, rain, venetian blind effect...), classic clue puzzle (red herrings, closed circle of suspects, closed location such as an island), one other technique is the use of intertextuality in "The Skull Beneath the Skin" - on one level it parallels agatha christie style novels, on another level it seems to mock the classic clue puzzle style..

natsirk

So are there any other textual techniques for the Skull Beneath the Skin?
Is there a difference between the convention presented in a text and the textual techniques used by the crime fiction author?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)