crime fic story (1 Viewer)

OutOfOrder

HSC
Hey, i have to write the first chapter of a crime fiction story (1000-1500 words), it is meant to "demonstrate understanding of the elements of crime fiction and establish firmly the genre's features"
What would this include exactly?

monique66

It just means write within the genre, take a subgenre such as the puzzle school or the harb-boiled school and write a story using those conventions. I.e. (this is a crap example but anyway) a story set within a country manor where one of the suspects of a crime is inside the house, the weather reflects the mood, etc or have a detective 'loner' that tries to fight crime in the big-bad-word like Marlowe in the Big Sleep. Oh btw, don't just write using the conventions of the genre, feel fre to suvert and challenge notions of the genre like Ondaatje does in Anil's Ghost.

Anyway, my suggestion is to have a murder, they always creat 'mystery' which is usually (but not always) the focus of the text...

Anyway, i shall stop rambling. Hope that helped a bit :)

ishq

brown?
HSC
Our last assessment task was to write a story. Everything I came up with was either corny or corny. I couldnt twist anything!

Needless to say, I was going toend up doing parody. But then, I had this inspiration and did a psych thriller. Try that! Read Nicci French....

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I have basically the same assesment as you, and its due when I come back from holidays...but anyways, I basically looked to the major subgenres and texts and what their conventions were and fitted them to my ideas and saw what worked and what didnt...I then used people I knew and again fitted them into some conventions. Then I just wrote layer by layer till I get it to a readable level...meh but thats what is working for me,

ishq

brown?
HSC
kami said:
I have basically the same assesment as you, and its due when I come back from holidays...but anyways, I basically looked to the major subgenres and texts and what their conventions were and fitted them to my ideas and saw what worked and what didnt...I then used people I knew and again fitted them into some conventions. Then I just wrote layer by layer till I get it to a readable level...meh but thats what is working for me,
I'm not prepared to give in so much effort.
I usually meh my way through.

monique66

ishq said:
I'm not prepared to give in so much effort.
I usually meh my way through.
hehe...
i had a writing task where we had to challenge the genre..good fun :D
I'm starting to think i should have done a short story for ext2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)