• Psycho Killer Crime Writers

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Hold me! I'm scared...

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

babyslug

Too School For Cool
HSC
So it's a tender question...which do you prefer? The Psychological Crime Writers? Or the Psycho Killer Crime Writers?

clerisy

HSC
Originally posted by token girl
whats the difference?
I have no idea, but I don't think I like either. I'm one of those nerdy Agatha Christie/Sherlock Holmes crime readers-- I have a fierce hatred for contemporary crime fiction. Because in the older ones, the deaths were never graphically disturbing (at least, the reader wasn't shown as much) and it was all powers of deduction!!!

I also liked them because technology was rarely used to solve crimes. With eg DNA testing, if there's blood on the windowsill, they are able to find out who it belongs to-- but the reader can't until their explicitly told. But in the old style books, you can think, "Well, Johnny Smith had that cut on his hand, so maybe it was him. But then, why did Lucy Jones refuse to take her gloves off?"

It's all entertaining. As you can see, I have an enormous (perhaps unjust) bias against contemporary crime!!!

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by clerisy
I have no idea, but I don't think I like either. I'm one of those nerdy Agatha Christie/Sherlock Holmes crime readers-- I have a fierce hatred for contemporary crime fiction. Because in the older ones, the deaths were never graphically disturbing (at least, the reader wasn't shown as much) and it was all powers of deduction!!!

I also liked them because technology was rarely used to solve crimes.
Yeah, I can understand that viewpoint, but in their own way, the 'Classic' Crime Fiction authors were merely employing the 'technology' of the day. For instance, it is only in the late 19th century that criminology as such developed (As such, crimes can be solved logically, hence the deductive powers and logic of Holmes..), at least in the modern sense. This was also a period that saw the introduction of fingerprinting (The DNA of its day) and the murders of such serial killers as Jack The Ripper.

That modern Crime Fiction employs contemporary technology such as DNA Sampling etc: is a reminder of why the genre has remained consistently popular for over a century... It is very adaptable, and thus ever-changing, to accomodate changing tastes and contexts. :)

At least you still have the classic texts available to read.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I am not too picky personally. I really like Doyle and Christie, but I have my favourites among the modern psycho authors.
I rather like James Patterson, even if all his stories aren't about psychos.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Psychological Crime Writers, for books or tv/movies, these are always better ...

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
lol, dostoevsky! porfiry petrovich was so BERLOODY good, its not funny. hehe, glad you liked it as much as I did.

I love Sherlock Holmes. hehe, love the way he rushed about to seemingly random stuff, and then just gives the solution out of nowhere. ^_^

btw, i don't know about hating contemporary fiction. Try reading modern Short stories, as opposed to novels. Short stories are heaps cool. hehe, if you want, I can recommend you some authors. :)

psychological crime is preffered my moi.

Serpentia

I dont like crime fiction thaaaaat much, Agatha Christie style stuff is alright, but I cant read much of it before I become bored. It is such a detached style of writing, and the characters are two unrealistic. If anything in crime fiction, I like the contemporary ones I loved the Silence of the Lambs, and Red Dragon, firstly because I think that Hannibal is such an intriguing (and dare I say likeable) character, secondly it put a lot of emphasis on character and interactions, rather than the plot and perfect denouement. I am thus a fan of contemporary style because I think it is a lot more realistic

But I dont want to type much more in this thread, Im studying crime fiction for Extension 1 english and it makes my head hurt, especially when I see what Im writing in here and think argh I dont even want to go into it!

I prefer pyschological crime because it lets you get into the mind of the killer, something that I find interesting.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
theres so much crime fiction around today. i liked studying it for ext, but as a genre to watch i don't like it that much, it isn't that interesting, and there's too much of it

clerisy

HSC
Originally posted by Gregor Samsa
Yeah, I can understand that viewpoint, but in their own way, the 'Classic' Crime Fiction authors were merely employing the 'technology' of the day. For instance, it is only in the late 19th century that criminology as such developed (As such, crimes can be solved logically, hence the deductive powers and logic of Holmes..), at least in the modern sense. This was also a period that saw the introduction of fingerprinting (The DNA of its day) and the murders of such serial killers as Jack The Ripper.

That modern Crime Fiction employs contemporary technology such as DNA Sampling etc: is a reminder of why the genre has remained consistently popular for over a century... It is very adaptable, and thus ever-changing, to accomodate changing tastes and contexts. :)

Well, if you put it THAT way! :)
Eh, nevertheless I'll stick to Christie.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
either way, if u like crime books, and especially ones well written, and old, with research, and that are TRUE....u gotta read that one about jack the ripper that came out a year or 3 ago...good stuff, but i dont know if every1 would agree with the authors verdict

TheDreamer

I'm definitely more into the classy Agatha Christies and Holmes. I love how Poirot makes all these little deductions from everything he observes. It's all about skill, in those days. Not that I''m saying that detectives of today don't have skill, but they have to rely on at least technology or computers.

Psychological thrillers just scare me!! *shivers*

clerisy

HSC
Hear, hear! I always loved Poirot... have always wanted to find a man as cool as him!

oscar_wilde

I love doing crime fiction for ee1. I love the old style crime fiction much more than contemporary stuff too, but there are some good contemporary crime writers such as Patrica Cornwell-she wrote about Jack the ripper-excellent book loved it!!

Clerisy, i agree with you completely.

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
Originally posted by Enlightened_One
I rather like James Patterson, even if all his stories aren't about psychos.
Yeah, read two of his books, quite good. Im more into crime fiction, usuallly more modern, Sherlock Holmes is ok, but sometimes agatha christie bores me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)