cricket sucks! (1 Viewer)

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by SKA
ozzies like cricket coz thats the only sport that they dominate in
bad argument.
The aussies dominate several sports, one of them being swimming, but you don't see aussies going crazy about swimming when Thorpie's not involved.

stef since 1986

Originally posted by j-belle
bad argument.
The aussies dominate several sports, one of them being swimming, but you don't see aussies going crazy about swimming when Thorpie's not involved.
haha so true! ... also league!! and afl if u count that as a world sport.. ireland play it sometimes *mmmm tadgh kinnely plays for the swans*

reynaldo

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by stef since 1986
haha so true! ... also league!! and afl if u count that as a world sport..
the only real world sport is Football (or 'soccer')

and i wouldn't exactly say that, in football, australia is a powerhouse.............

babyslug

Too School For Cool
HSC
cricket is the sorta sport you fall asleep to on a sunday afternoon. And when you wake up...it's still on.

Pace Setter

Actually cricket is nowhere near the only sport australia is good at. Other sports where aus are among the top in the world:

Tennis-just won the equivalent of the tennis world cup(davis cup just in case u didnt know) and have a couple of recent no.1s
Triathlon-not as dominant as before, but still i'd say we're no.1
Swimming-think Thorpe
Hockey-Womens team dominated the 90s and won the recent Champions trophy, men have always been there or thereabouts.
Squash-won every single gold medal at a recent world championships or something
League & AFL-doesnt need an explanation
Union-beat the kiwis, lost to the poms:mad: , but still...
Equestrian: 3 Olympics in a row where we got the gold medal in a row in the teams event
Shooting-think Michael Diamond
Rowing-think drew ginn+james tomkins in the Awesome Foursome, etc...i think were no.1 or at least close
Cycling-Id say were quite a long way from becoming no.1 in the cross-country events but in the velodrome, were right up there with France as the dominator of world cycling
Netball-lost to the silver fern this time but we have dominated the world for the last 12 years and are rebuilding to dominate again-i doubt we'll ever slip from a top 3 ranking in this sport

Anyway, thats just off the top of my head in terms of sports we dominate and/or at the top of the world. I think in the near future we will make drastic improvements in basketball (mens team consistently in top 5, womens team in top 3 currently), soccer, golf (nick flanagan's supposed to be the next tiger woods).

For those who think America completely dominates softball+baseball, think again. Australia won a bronze medal at the recently-concluded softball world championships, in the process knocking out USA. In baseball, the yanks didnt send their first string team as they were "tied down by the professional season." No matter how u see it, its no excuse for the USA not being able to qualify for the Athens olympics in what is one of their national sports. BTW, Australia DID qualify, for those who've been living under a rock.

Pace Setter

Theres much more to cricket than meets the eye; IMO the most unique and sophisticated sport in the world, a direct contrast to pure spectator/join-the-dots sports like b-ball,soccer,baseball,etc. Ive compiled descriptions of how much of a fan of cricket you are below. Id say the average aussie would be in "Stage 3". On this message board however, I wouldnt be surprised if most were in the Stage 1-2 category.

Stage 1: U hate cricket. One mention of the word and you've changed the channel, or your out of the room
Stage 2:U enjoy watching aggressive batting, have a basic understanding of the game, and you are attracted to the shorter, one-day version of the game, a lot because of the aesthetic appeal that exists within cricket, much like most spectator sports
Stage 3: Your persistence and patriotism has allowed you to graduate from stage 2. You are now able to name most players of most major teams, and while you will always support your team, you now watch both forms of the game with an appreciation of the finer points
Stage 4: You can name every player of every test playing and a couple of associate teams, most of their reserves and up-and-coming talent. Along the way, you now appreciate all the finer points of the game, know a hell of a lot more about the countries involved, and realise what a truly unique and sophisticated game cricket is. You love tests, in fact, you wish the 5-day actually lasted 100 days, and you pity those who think any form of cricket is boring. You are also not only in possession of the good deal of knowledge about the history of cricket, but have in fact integrated the information to the point where you are now a walking encyclopedia among your colleagues/friends. Most would call you a true fan.
Stage 5-You've devoted 50+ years of your life to playing, watching, analysing and reading about cricket. You change your last name to "Stumps" and you've named your son Steve Waugh. You've also had the distinguished honour of being on A Current Affair for being "Australia's biggest sports fanatic"

Numero Uno

HSC
Originally posted by j-belle
bad argument.

Ok My theory
"Ozzies Are good at crap/stupid sports"

and as for Australia being a powerhouse in soccer
Maybe in a few year but defintley not now

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by Pace Setter
Stage 5-You've devoted 50+ years of your life to playing, watching, analysing and reading about cricket. You change your last name to "Stumps" and you've named your son Steve Waugh. You've also had the distinguished honour of being on A Current Affair for being "Australia's biggest sports fanatic"
:rofl:

i'd be close to stage 4, but not quite, probably.

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Haha i'll say stage 1 with testmatches and stage 2 at the end of a One International Day nighter when the score is close!

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
welll looks like its a stage 1 for me hahaha.. but i do know some cricket players coz they always are on the news for drug use n stuff.. u know

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
i enjoy watching cricket.....hope India wins alll the upcoming matches!!
GO India!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)