Creative Writing Questions. (1 Viewer)

Butt Rayge

HSC
Well, the HSC is approaching and I've hjust realised I've got no Creative writing questions for belonging, aside from the ones I've alrady done. As many of you probably already know, this is a new topic and, as such there are limited resources for it. (None at all on the BOS website)

So I have come to you all for help. I'd very much appreciate it if you could share your creative writing questions with me so I can write a story or two before the HSC.

I'm sure there are others like me in a similar position...

Sorry if this has been done before, I searched and found nothing too similar. If there is something like this already, though, I suppose you could just link me to it.

Sadiah

HSC
Well, the HSC is approaching and I've hjust realised I've got no Creative writing questions for belonging, aside from the ones I've alrady done. As many of you probably already know, this is a new topic and, as such there are limited resources for it. (None at all on the BOS website)

So I have come to you all for help. I'd very much appreciate it if you could share your creative writing questions with me so I can write a story or two before the HSC.

I'm sure there are others like me in a similar position...

Sorry if this has been done before, I searched and found nothing too similar. If there is something like this already, though, I suppose you could just link me to it.
The concept of beloning is linked to the concept of Journey, if you think about it thoroughly.

So it will aid if you practice past papers on journey by just twisting the words around of the questions.

Here's one question i found on my desk about belonging - I never keep my creative storys or the questions :D

"In contrast to how a child belongs in the world, adult belonging is never as natural, innocent, or playful. Adult belonging has to be chosen, recieved, and renewed. It is a lifetime's work."

SSRabbitohs2009

28:06:42:12
HSC
I almost LOL'd when I read my creative writing question for Belonging in my trial. It wasn't a question, it was a stimulus.
The quote was (get ready to laugh):

"I just wanted to belong somewhere. Anywhere."

My school really trains us to think on the spot *dies*

Butt Rayge

HSC
Our trial question was horrible, too. We have to pick a setting from 3 pictures and an object from another 3 picture and write a story about that. They were about the 6 most uninspiring pictures I've ever seen in my life.

The concept of beloning is linked to the concept of Journey, if you think about it thoroughly.

So it will aid if you practice past papers on journey by just twisting the words around of the questions.

Here's one question i found on my desk about belonging - I never keep my creative storys or the questions :D

"In contrast to how a child belongs in the world, adult belonging is never as natural, innocent, or playful. Adult belonging has to be chosen, recieved, and renewed. It is a lifetime's work."
That seems more like an esay question.
And yeah, I have notice that belonging and journeys are pretty similar. I'll give that a try.

mesbaz

HSC
N/A
omggg i used that quote to start my aos essay ! :O

raniaaa

:)
HSC
I almost LOL'd when I read my creative writing question for Belonging in my trial. It wasn't a question, it was a stimulus.
The quote was (get ready to laugh):

"I just wanted to belong somewhere. Anywhere."

My school really trains us to think on the spot *dies*
that doesn't sound too bad...

here are some in our school booklet:

Write a series of journal entries about a situation where belonging was difficult. The situation may be real or imagined.

Write a narrative with a theme related to Belonging. Your story should involve two people who have very differing experiences.

Sadiah

HSC
Our trial question was horrible, too. We have to pick a setting from 3 pictures and an object from another 3 picture and write a story about that. They were about the 6 most uninspiring pictures I've ever seen in my life.

That seems more like an esay question.
And yeah, I have notice that belonging and journeys are pretty similar. I'll give that a try.
Yeah sorry if it doesn't help.

Hey our trial question was very similar to what your going on about.

We had three pictures - a lonely house, a school, and a train
We had three objects - a kid playing with a kite, a pile of books, and a computer

we had to link one object and one picture together along with the notion of belonging.

emmcyclopedia

HSC
Our school did the CSSA Trial papers for English, and I am hoping to get a copy of the Creative Writing question - it had 6 really different visual stimuli to choose from.
Does anyone have this?
If not, I will try and get it from my teacher.

Here's some questions I've encountered in class or from our exams.

* * *​

1. You may choose to use EITHER stimulus #1(this was a visual, I don't have it) OR Stimulus #2 as the basis of a piece of writing that explores the concept of belonging.

Stimulus #2 [Written]
"But I never left home.
I carried it away
with me - here in my darkness
in myself." - Sujata Bahatt

* * *​

2. Select ONE of the following quotations. Use this quotation as a central idea is your own piece of writing that explores the experience of belonging.
a) "Her smile was a welcoming beacon and I was no longer alone"
b) "This was home"
c) "The wall was not only a physical barrier. It was psychological too."

* * *​

3. Imagine you are a person who has experienced belonging in a significant and surprising way.

Write a thoughtful and engaging text for Connections, a magazine for young people, in which you reflect on your experience and pass on some of the valuable insights you have gained through this experience.

* * *​

Last edited:

Butt Rayge

HSC
Cheers for the suggestions, everyone. I don't like any of those questions, but chances are I'm not going to like the one they give us on the day, either so I'll have a go of one or two of them.

Keep them coming though, if you can. It'd be nice to have a compilation of them for anyone else who needs help/practice.

Yeah sorry if it doesn't help.

Hey our trial question was very similar to what your going on about.

We had three pictures - a lonely house, a school, and a train
We had three objects - a kid playing with a kite, a pile of books, and a computer

we had to link one object and one picture together along with the notion of belonging.
That was ours exactly...

I ended up writing mine about a lonely man living in the house who finds a sense of belonging with his books. Got 9/15 for it. I thought it was terrible, so I wasn't too disappointed with my mark.

Sadiah

HSC
Cheers for the suggestions, everyone. I don't like any of those questions, but chances are I'm not going to like the one they give us on the day, either so I'll have a go of one or two of them.

Keep them coming though, if you can. It'd be nice to have a compilation of them for anyone else who needs help/practice.

That was ours exactly...

I ended up writing mine about a lonely man living in the house who finds a sense of belonging with his books. Got 9/15 for it. I thought it was terrible, so I wasn't too disappointed with my mark.
Oh okay.

I selected the train and the computer.

First person narrative.
The girl was an orphan who was always stalked by this really weird guy.
She seeks diparture <- Train
Keeps getting emails from teh weirdo <- computer.
At the end starts to love him too.
Finds a sense of belonging.

Yes kinda gay story but that's all I could manage in the last 10 minutes I had because I done the short responses first, and then SectionIII and then I started with Section II. :D

loz1

HSC
sorry if this is a bit off topic, but how many stories do youz have in your head as a base idea before going into the exam?.. or are you just going to fluke it and see what inspiration your given in the exam?

Sadiah

HSC
sorry if this is a bit off topic, but how many stories do youz have in your head as a base idea before going into the exam?.. or are you just going to fluke it and see what inspiration your given in the exam?
I have a story.

But...

It's half Twilight predisposed.

=]

MzBiiBii

HSC
Our school did the CSSA Trial papers for English, and I am hoping to get a copy of the Creative Writing question - it had 6 really different visual stimuli to choose from.
Does anyone have this?
If not, I will try and get it from my teacher.

I did CSSA too, but there were only 4 =S
I only remember 2 of them

"Lost"
"I hate it when people tell me to smile" (Something along those lines)

I don't really remember the other 2

MzBiiBii

HSC
There were ones with the toys... i chose the lost with the stoner guy lol

lol :)

I did "i hate smiling" one

and then the marker goes "My character wasn't likeable"

*insert lame face*

So I've changed my wholleeee story and made him likeable :) ..... i think

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
If I get some question asking me to do journal entries or whatnot, I will die on the spot. Right on the spot.

I've just got two stories (and I've been working on a third) and am planning simply to memorize them and hope that they'll us give some generic question/stimulus that's easy to work with. After all, this is the first year of "Belonging" (that's what I've been telling myself at least...)

lychnobity

HSC
I have 3, but have a series of 'scenes' planned out in my head if I need them

If I get some question asking me to do journal entries or whatnot, I will die on the spot. Right on the spot.
Me too. Most disgusting 'text type' to write.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)