Creative Writing Peace for Journeys? (1 Viewer)

PaddyG

HSC
I know that the questions saw you can write in any style, but does this include poetry??

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
my teacher said you could theoretically, but she wouldnt recommend it.

monique199016

HSC
Unless it says DOES NOT INCLUDE POETRY, then you technically can do it. But in this section you are expected to be writing about 6+ pages. So unless your poetry is extremely good and very long, then I wouldn't recommend it. Plus, it has to follow the rubric - and it may be VERY difficult to do that with poetry. So for the sake of a good HSC mark, I would not go there.

bwong

HSC
yeah its not advisable to do poetry. ive got a gun of an english teachers and she does like marking for all that and shes pretty much the devil and makes coleridge look like childs play and even she says to not do poetry for the creative writing section. i dont know how u would be able to think up a poem in so little time for it anyways. haha write a series of haikus.

dood09

Frontier Psychiatrist ☻
HSC
N/A
YES!!

you can use poetry- so long as its not something like a limerick or a haiku

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
dood09 said:
YES!!

you can use poetry- so long as its not something like a limerick or a haiku
sure! you can draw a cartoon too, for creative. after all, a cartoon can be a text!

dood09

Frontier Psychiatrist ☻
HSC
N/A
Enobarbus said:
sure! you can draw a cartoon too, for creative. after all, a cartoon can be a text!
one of my good friends actually did this and she got a band 6...

so i guess its not all bad

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
The english co-ord at my school (Senior HSC marker) basically said that while the form is open (unless it is otherwise stated), that poetry is an option...

BUT he also said that it's not a crash hot idea, as poetry can be subjective, and that some markers = poetry haters, yadayadayada.

Anyway so what you can take from his awesomeness (lolz) is that you should steer clear of it?

SiN3m

HSC
man i would have LOVED to do poetry...much better at poetry than short stories BUT i actually like my current story...hope it went down well in the trial and that i ddnt stuff it up in the rush :S

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
Sorry to bump.

Okay... in the HSC

They will usually ask for IMAGINATIVE WRITING ->

According to my Ancient History teacher (who is also an English and English Ext.1 teacher), this encompasses:

* Short Stories (70% of the state do this)
* Diary Entries or Letters (15% of the state)
* Speeches (10%)
* Poetry (5%)

The statistics are estimates. people don't do poetry because it is hard to integrate ideas in a way that seems complex and meaningful, and more importantly - well written.
It's highly not recommended by HSC markers to choose this imaginative text type.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)