Creative Writing at Maq. (1 Viewer)

ladyknight

HSC
I'm really keen to do creative writing at uni. in '07 - I just have no idea about course reputations or anything like that. Is Maquarie good? Wollongong uni? Should I just skip to journalism or something similar? Any advice or opinions would be TOTALLY appreciated - thanks everybody!

X

xeuyrawp

Heya,

First look through the degree list:

This is for the normal BCA [Creative Writing] degree, this is for the BCA (International) [Creative Writing] degree.

Have a look through the subjects you've got to do...

I think there may already be a thread about this, and Glitterfairy (a very sexy mod) is doing it, so I've pmed her to come and look at this thread to discuss it with you.:)

Yeah, although the thread's not about Creative Writing, you might find it relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
UOW apparently has a kickass creative arts program..
hm..wheres sah (Tulipa) when you need her?
Shell tell you more about it..

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Heya,

First look through the degree list:

This is for the normal BCA [Creative Writing] degree, this is for the BCA (International) [Creative Writing] degree.

Have a look through the subjects you've got to do...

I think there may already be a thread about this, and Glitterfairy (a very sexy mod) is doing it, so I've pmed her to come and look at this thread to discuss it with you.:)

Yeah, although the thread's not about Creative Writing, you might find it relevant.
Obviously my sexiness overwhelmed pwar to the point where he forgot to send the pm, but it's ok. He can make it up to me later! ;)

I'm going to be a bit blase about the second and third year courses as I haven't done them myself yet (I just finished first year). In a nutshell, this degree is for people who LOVE the arts and want to graduate in something art-sy, but also something that can get them a REAL job. Let's face facts - being a starving artist isn't fun. The BCA can lead into things like Event Management, Events Marketing etc - all of which are REAL jobs, but will allow you to work within (or around) a specific field of your choice.

The BCA tends to be a mish-mash of elements - in first semester, you'll do "What Is Contemporary Art?" <-- this is the most AWESOME uni course you will ever do in your entire life, I swear! However you'll also do things like marketing and accounting, which cater to the "business" component of the course (remember, this degree sets you up for a REAL job - whether it's just something on the side to supplement your "real" artistic career - heck, it's gotta be better than waitressing - or something you end up going into full-time). At the end of the course, you'll do something like 50 or 100 hours of work (no pay) at an approved institution. BCA International students will do this overseas (airfares all paid for) and have to have a 3.0 GPA *gulp* for a third year course (I think).

You'll also get about 12 credit points or so left over to use as regular BA points. So in this sense, it is a bit like a regular BA degree, however the BCA *DOES* have some sort of "direction" (like any business degree, but a lot looser). It's not a *complete* mishmash of courses, and some things like ARTS105, BBA250 and MKTG101 aren't accessible to BA students.

Here's a quick rundown on BCA - majoring in Creative Arts - first-year subjects:

ARTS100 - What is Contemporary Art?
^This course is awesome. You'll basically look at a whole bunch of art - dance, music, drama, creative writing, photography - and discuss it till the cows come home. You'll look at what influences the art, who likes to view it, as well as how the Australian arts scene works, eg how to apply for grants, what the funding is like, why certain things work, etc etc. This course is required to do all the other ARTS courses.

ENGL120 - Introduction to English
^Sorry, me no like this course. Like so many other MQ prerequisite courses, it's a HUGE overview of everything, from Sylvia Plath to "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight". It's not death-inducing, however some of the lectures sent me to sleep. Like more humanities courses, easy to pass/credit, hard to get much more. This course (or the other ENGL prerequisite) is required for all 200/300 level english courses - including the Creative Writing ones!

CUL100 - Introduction to Cultural Studies
^Ugh, me like this one even less. Huge broad overview of terms like "Deconstruction". But it's over now. This course is required for basically all the other 200 and 300 level CUL courses, however the "required" ones for the BCA degree are a heck of a lot more arts-related than this one is.

MKTG101 - Introduction to Marketing
^This was actually kind of fun. Revolved around memorising case study facts and rote-learning definitions. This is one of the random "business' subjects you'll do.

SOC180 - Introduction to Popular Culture
NB: This course is being discontinued and will be replaced next year. I don't know what by, or whether they'll just use the other SOC 100-level course as the prerequisite

^The funny thing about SOC is that there's a trend between either cruising in CUL and being slaughtered in SOC, or vice-versa. They're actually really similar but not.

ARTS105 - Accounting for the Creative Arts
^This is a dumbed-down version of ARTS100. We cover basically the same material, but our marking is a lot more lenient. It sucks like nothing else I know, and the only good thing about it is that you'll never have to do accounting in the BCA again once you've passed. Thankfully, ARTS210 (the compulsary arts business unit for next year) is Human Resource Management... that should be better!!!!

Other compulsary units off the top of my head include BBA250.

Now for the million-dollar question. With all this theory stuff, is there any practical component? Yes, but you'll have to wait until second-year to even *touch* the fun stuff. But a friend of mine who's in second year says it's fun :)

Something I've found by breezing through all the compulsary units is that the first-year units tend to be really generalised (not to mention being compulsary prerequisites for 200 and 300 level compulsary units), and some of them suck. No, really they do (like accounting, for example). However the 200 and 300 units (where you can pick up your major - even if it's something like Dance and you elect to study it at UNSW since MQ doesn't provide it, which was something I looked at) tend to get a lot more specific and relevant to your major. So do hang on, and don't get disillusioned - it gets better after first year! :)

ladyknight said:
Is Maquarie good? Wollongong uni? Should I just skip to journalism or something similar?
I have no idea what the Wollongong BCA is like other than knowing they don't provide the BCA International. Whilst I get pissed off at times at the very generalised nature of 100-level courses (which basically all serve as prerequisites. There's not a huge amount of "fun" stuff in first-year at MQ...), I still think it's still really good to do it at MQ. I've heard there's a postmodern trend to the creative writing, but we'll see how it goes - my style is far more "pulp fiction/light reading", and I do expect to graduate :p

I don't think you should "skip to journalism" unless it's actually what you want to do. There's a world of difference between "journalism" and "creative/artistic" writing. Of course, if you like writing in general, it's no such biggie. But hey - if you're given the opportunity to get really nitty-gritty and specific about what you want to do (eg choosing between studying an editorial and a short story, I know which one I'd choose!!) then why not take it?

Last edited:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
here's two VERY different points about macquarie and wollongong.

wollongong you need to submit a portfolio with a special application due in september the year before you begin. that is then reviewed and a interview is offered based on the merit. its not a matter of UAI, basically they take into account your application, portfolio, interview and UAI before they offer you a place.

macquarie you don't have to do any of that. it's simply on UAI.

simple as that. i've applied for the wollongong program and have done an interview, now its just a matter of waiting. macquarie's creative arts program is my fourth preference :eek: (after three wollongong courses) and i find that the selection program of UoW makes it a little more enticing.

sorry i couldn't help more about the coursework

HSC
N/A
^ That actually is a really important point I neglected to mention. I do apologise, it's mainly because I never really looked at the UOW course due to it being way too far away from home --> travel difficulties.

I've also heard good things about UOW, and next year a very talented friend of mine will be studying the BCA there (she deferred this year to earn the money).

ladyknight

HSC
Thanks heaps everybody, especially to the lovely glitterfairy for trying to guide my confused little mind through all this 'real world' stuff :). I think I'll just write short stories at maquarie- wollongong is a serious trek! Maybe I'll see some of you there, hey? Anything is possible!

HSC
N/A
ladyknight said:
Thanks heaps everybody, especially to the lovely glitterfairy for trying to guide my confused little mind through all this 'real world' stuff :). I think I'll just write short stories at maquarie- wollongong is a serious trek! Maybe I'll see some of you there, hey? Anything is possible!
No worries!

I'm a BCA Mentor next year, so if you do end up doing the BCA - Creative Writing course (and turn up to the orientation day) I'll probably see you there. And if not, don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about the course I may be able to answer - I remember how weird I felt at the start of Uni, because it's so different to high school! :)

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Argonaut said:
As much as I love writing, it'd be hard for me to be taken seriously if I said "I want to do creative writing" ... mind you, one of my heroes wrote his first book at Uni as a means of procrastination to avoid doing a degree he didn't like, so I could always follow his footsteps ...
Matthew Reilly?

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Cyan_phoeniX said:
Matthew Reilly?
Reading my first Matthew Reilly book. (Seven Wonders)

Dont like it :|

Like a movie packed with action to entertain the viewer but doesnt offer any else of value.

Does anyone know that university Creative Short Story COmpetition thats being held during the holidays? *looks at GLitterfairy*

The one where you have to write something that relates to ambiguity?

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
bscienceboi said:

Like a movie packed with action to entertain the viewer but doesnt offer any else of value.

Does anyone know that university Creative Short Story COmpetition thats being held during the holidays? *looks at GLitterfairy*

i finished reading his third book, temple, a few weeks ago, now ill get is fourth book. most of his book are more emphasised on movie-like action than character development. i think that is why i like his style of writing.

courtnez

Now, what I want is Facts
HSC
Not really according to topic, but Matthew Reilly spoke at my schools speech night this year. He's pretty funny and apparently likes messing up model airplanes/submarines and making them into a giant submarineplanething.

BCA looks interesting. It's my 4th preference :D

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
courtnez said:
He's pretty funny and apparently likes messing up model airplanes/submarines and making them into a giant submarineplanething.
Explains the Halicarnassus in Seven Ancient Wonders.
A 747 with turrets and missiles on it wings and all.

HSC
N/A
bscienceboi said:

there's a holiday competition? *blank look*

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
glitterfairy said:
there's a holiday competition? *blank look*
Yeah. Entry is for all University students (2006).

There were some flyers around Mac Theatre during last semester....

DOn't know the exact details, but if anyone happens to be at uni for whatever reason, please check for us :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)