creative - narrative without complication? (1 Viewer)

get_back23

HSC
Is it possible to get a decent mark for creative in belonging, if my story doesnt have a complication?

i had something in mind of simply having the character move back to old place, and paradoxically feels both connection and misplacement.
probably going to include reminiscence, and self reflection on present situation

thanks so much for any help

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Yes, you can, but non-driving narratives are often poorly written. There is a tendency to talk about the ideas and feelings, rather than actually show them through character relationships with others and to the events that surround them.

readmod

Banned
HSC
N/A
Mine doesn't have a huge complication -sort of - and I usually score 12-13/15

get_back23

HSC
Yes, you can, but non-driving narratives are often poorly written. There is a tendency to talk about the ideas and feelings, rather than actually show them through character relationships with others and to the events that surround them.
Oh i c, so what your saying here is that most creatives evoke their ideas on belonging through the complication, rather than use of language? or maybe its both i guess, but wouldn't language and structure use contribute more to making a good story? i mean the aim is to depict belonging in an imaginative way, how come lots of teachers talk about complication

Mine doesn't have a huge complication -sort of - and I usually score 12-13/15
Can u give a a brief idea plz? jst want to c if u wrote it similar to the way i want to write it

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Oh i c, so what your saying here is that most creatives evoke their ideas on belonging through the complication, rather than use of language? or maybe its both i guess, but wouldn't language and structure use contribute more to making a good story? i mean the aim is to depict belonging in an imaginative way, how come lots of teachers talk about complication
Language and structure are only as useful as the context they are used in. A complication is one of the main parts of plot, and plot is what drives your story forward. If you just have the character talk about their feelings, you're not really telling us a story.

Your story can have that conflict though. Why don't they feel like they completely belong? The reasons for this is the conflict.. If you give a reason to these dissociative feelings, that can be your conflict. If you just talk about the fact that they're happening, you don't have conflict or much of a story.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Is it possible to get a decent mark for creative in belonging, if my story doesnt have a complication?

i had something in mind of simply having the character move back to old place, and paradoxically feels both connection and misplacement.
probably going to include reminiscence, and self reflection on present situation

thanks so much for any help
My story was a lot like that actually. Depends on the way you write it - yes as long as you make sure you're 'showing' not 'telling', and being subtle rather than completely explicit about the paradox.

get_back23

HSC
sweet! maybe i cant write one as good as u:D but what mark did u get for it?
thanks

HSC
In the HSC creatives don't have to be fucking amazing to get good marks. They have to answer the question.

So as long if you answer the question (I.e talk about what ou have to) you can pretty much get a good mark with any story

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
sweet! maybe i cant write one as good as u:D but what mark did u get for it?
thanks
14.5 raw mark in the actual HSC :) Which means that one marker gave it a 14 and another gave it a 15. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)