Crap teacher..what do i do??!?!? (1 Viewer)

ipod21

HSC
I'll try to make this short and i'd really like to hear from anyone with advice and opnions on what i should do.

The problem is that my teacher is very predicatble, boring and not very good at teaching. All we do is strictly learn from the textbook. She teaches through the textbook word for word and doesnt move out of line. Class discussion is also minimal.

Either we read through the textbook together, she "explains" the material by reading the textbook aloud and expands with examples from the textbook. I dont even need to attend the class and wont miss out on anything.

Our teacher has taught for a while and is also a HSC Marker. However, i feel that she has grown tired of teaching the same material and simply doesnt have the energy to care or teach effectivley any longer.

What makes it worst is that (not only me), a lot of us have begun "switching off" and the class is slowly becoming unsettled. We all had respect but towards the end of the term, most of the class now has a negative attitude towards economics. I now find economics hard to learn/understand and I have to put more effort in at home to practically teach myself the material , when this was never a problem in the past. Lessons at school are now useless as reading the textbook together does not help me learn the material.

I dont think i can stand this any longer and might be dropping it for the HSC and just not try from the Prelim. But i need some help, i need different perspectives and differnt text to help me undertsand the concepts as the teacher is not doing this. What alternative textbooks should i buy? Is there any workbooks or study guides i should look to buy also?

EDIT: We are using the John Bulmer textbook
:worried::mad1::headbang::bomb:

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
You could have a chat with the teacher to talk about his/her teaching style, and how can he/she improve the lessons that are taught. Maybe even chat with the head-teacher to talk about this issue.

Search the library for different textbooks, and also this forum and its Resource section for notes, past papers and other materials. Look in bookstores like Dymocks, Angus, Borders etc for other textbooks/study guides that might assist you in Economics.

Sites:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/22/economics/58316/economics-faq.html
That's for a guide to the forum, and threads and websites are available for help.

For your textbook issue, have a look at this thread:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/22/economics/102734/best-economics-textbook.html

BoS resource section:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/resources.php

About teachers, I don't think you're expecting too much. I guess all students want a really good teacher who can maximise their learning experience. But then, we don't always get what we want =(

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Leading Edge does some really good textbooks and the workbook I bought but didn't use - but that was because I did economics by distance education, so I always had enough work. :p I DON'T recommend excel as an only text book.

Have you tried talking to your teacher and expressing your opinions on their teaching methods?

Keep motivated. If you find it hard, approach your teacher individually and tell them you need help understanding a particular concept (some teachers really light up and sound "interesting" if you ask for help, coz they know you paid attention and sought help when you didn't understand, and when you do understand they seem more enlightened like that sort of made a difference - if you get me. ;) (also that's what a teacher is for).
If you still don't get it organise a group study sessions with your friends - group discussions make concept learning easier and gives different perspectives. Alternatively get a yr 12/person who's done eco to help you out.

Keep at it and see how you feel at the end of the year. Eco is a really good subject. Good luck :)

ipod21

HSC
Thanks for all the advice so far.

I dont think approaching the teacher would be a good idea as i know the teacher will be offeneded. As during class there's lots of groans and moans from all the students.

Last edited:

atreus

HSC
my problem with economics is that everything i did my teacher said needed a lot of improvement, when its not that hard to get a band 6 in economics. right after the budget i think its leading edge, that sent out a pamhplet/short summary. i got some facts and figures fromt hat about governent spending, tax, reforms, budget stance, and used that for a lot fo the 4th topic (cos it was the 4th topic that we had only done a third of it). it came down to a bit of independent learning.

my advice would be find some alternative sources, but not a textbook. somehting to put all the content you're learning into perspective. political shows r okay, if they're talking about the economic side of policy.

williamc

HSC
Just try and stay motivated, I personally found the yr11 course less interesting. The yr 12 course is more interesting(imo), and even if you only do average you will pretty much have a low band 5. Just try and get through the yr 11 course even if you don't do that great and then some put some effort in next year.

Yr 11 ranking: 14/16
Yr 12 ranking (so far): 2/15

Last edited:

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
stick with it. economics can be the most rewarding subject, especially when its results and uai time. i think you should expect to have a heavier workload considering its year 11 and 12. year 10, as you would probably agree, is a joke, for me it was more play than work. expect a lot more independent learning for all your subject, because, frankly, hsc content is too abundant to be taught thoroughly in the classroom.
you say your teacher is a hsc marker, then i suggest read through your textbook, understand it, make summaries, and if there is anything you cant get your head around, discuss it with your teacher, harass them if you have to, dont let them fend you off.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
onebytwo said:
stick with it. economics can be the most rewarding subject, especially when its results and uai time. i think you should expect to have a heavier workload considering its year 11 and 12. year 10, as you would probably agree, is a joke, for me it was more play than work. expect a lot more independent learning for all your subject, because, frankly, hsc content is too abundant to be taught thoroughly in the classroom.
you say your teacher is a hsc marker, then i suggest read through your textbook, understand it, make summaries, and if there is anything you cant get your head around, discuss it with your teacher, harass them if you have to, dont let them fend you off.
Ohhh so true, take charge!!
Unless he's the ONLY teacher capable of "teaching" economics at your school, maybe you could ask another eco teacher for help on concepts you don't understand, although your teacher might get slightly offended - it's still better to understand the content (also it might open your teacher's eyes to the situation). :)

ipod21

HSC
williamc said:
Just try and stay motivated, I personally found the yr11 course less interesting. The yr 12 course is more interesting(imo), and even if you only do average you will pretty much have a low band 5. Just try and get through the yr 11 course even if you don't do that great and then some put some effort in next year.

Yr 11 ranking: 14/16
Yr 12 ranking (so far): 2/15
I have the interest but the problem is the teaching. Becasue of his teaching, it has become boring, and since he doesnt really teach i dont really learn. So to learn it , i have to teach myself.

lol and only 16 people do ecos at your school? Must be a tiny school!

williamc

HSC
ipod21 said:
I have the interest but the problem is the teaching. Becasue of his teaching, it has become boring, and since he doesnt really teach i dont really learn. So to learn it , i have to teach myself.

lol and only 16 people do ecos at your school? Must be a tiny school!
Grade of 200 people.. lol

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
ipod, if you find more discussion aids your learning, and its lacking in your classroom, create discussion!
i always did to sidetrack the otherwise boring class work. raise your hand and ask a relevant today type question, or something controversial, that can instigate teacher interest. i know much of the yr 11 course is theory focused, so discussion might be limited in that regard, but who cares, ask something about interest rates, the federal budget or even the elections is you want a passionate teacher response.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
yeah i'm in a similar situation.

you just have to teach yourself. also extract what your teacher is worthy for...like try and recognise ways you can get help from him/her..
like with my teacher, though her teaching in class is pointless, if you hand things in she'll mark it with good feedback. try that with your teacher

for the rest - teach yourself

ipod21

HSC
k thanks for the advice so far:

- Ill be buying a few more etxtbooks or workbooks (1 or 2, not going overload)
- will try to start discussions but in the past, the teacher normal says stuff like "OK we are going off topic, lets get back on track..."
- and ill try to form a study group but i doubt that will help as all my classmates are in the same boat.
- i'll try to be taking a more personal approach to the teacher and ask him to help me with the specifics i dont understand

Last edited:

Ozza

HSC
I've got to agree with everyone else, the yr12 syllabus in MUCH more interesting as you see how everything you've learnt comes together and how the world works. I had arguably one of the worst teachers you could have for yr 11 economics, he really knew all his stuff but he was the absolute worst at explaining it. But I got lucky, he retired and now I've got one of the best teachers, enthusiastic, charismatic and throws in a joke to keep you awake.

The important thing to note is that economics is NOTHING like commerce, or at least not in any great detail, so doing well in yr 9/10 commerce isn't really the same as doing well in economics.

But I've gotta agree, throwing your hand up and asking the teacher a question about the topic can help but for what you've probably learnt in the first 5-6 chapters, it isn't really all that necessary as it's all straight theory and comes back to haunt you in later topics. The thing my economics teacher always said was that at the start of each year or term, she'll seem to jump around a lot with ideas, coz that's how economics works... they give you a bit of everything, and it's not quite clear, but in the final chapters, you'll see everything put into context and it will come together and make sense. It's like reading a novel, you gotta stick with it until the conclusion to fully understand some of the concepts.

PS. My class only has 6 people in it, my year is about 200 as well, lol

Last edited:

ipod21

HSC
yes i understand year12 will be more interesting, but ill still be in the same boat. he will still teach the same way and (hopefully not) i will be feeling the same way . i.e bored and pissed.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)