Cram!!! (1 Viewer)

~SeXcSuM~

HSC
how do we cram for ancient!!?? there's way too much to know...

SarahMary

*Procrastination Central*
HSC
best way is past papers. Do the short answers(>10 marks). For the 10 mark questions and the essays write an opening and a conclusion and 8-10 strong points, and pieces of supporting evidence. This way the information's there and provided you're an ok essay writer (for in the actual exam), it's a quick and effective way of studying. also, if you do the questions by topic (read over your notes for a topic and then do a bunch of questions for that topic). If you want any practice q's for NKE to Thutmose IV, Hatshepsut, Sparta to 371BC, or the Minoans, PM me with your email address. I've got tons

Paroissien

HSC
That's hardly cramming though, as to do it properly takes a while. I consider cramming as frantic study the day before the exam, and unless you already have solid knowledge, its impossible for ancient. Just pick a few pieces of information and pray the you get lucky

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Rather than learn the whole course (for your drastic crammer), focus on the questions they usually ask and try to find all the points you know for that. This works best for essays, where it's possible for you to have a choice of 4 different questions. Learn a few practice essays and there's a great probability it would be asked.

For your short answer questions they usually repeat the questions on a rotational basis. Have a look at past questions. For example, with Minoans you wouldn't study something like minoan medicine or furniture, but focus on Knossos, social structure, trade, art and religion.

As mentioned, there is no cramming this subject. There is however, fudging. :p

Paroissien

HSC
By learn essays she doesn't (I'm assuming) mean memorise essays. That is a BAD idea for anything subject, except English of course

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
By "learn" i mean intros because they're always the hardest things to write. Then learn the POINTS you're going to put into it, not the entire bloody essay :)

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
Paroissien said:
That's hardly cramming though, as to do it properly takes a while. I consider cramming as frantic study the day before the exam, and unless you already have solid knowledge, its impossible for ancient. Just pick a few pieces of information and pray the you get lucky
Yeah, it is impossible to cram for ancient. If it does come down to the day before the exam i would suggest concentrating one subject, and going over any stuff you have on that. So at least youll probably to ok in that rather then worse in everything.
But if its the week before, im going through making about 4 pages of notes (which essentially become essay plans) on each topic. for example, 4 on julius caesars early life, 4 on gaul, 4 on the first triumvirate.. And i highlight quotes and stuff.
Has been working for me, and this is the first time ive ever really studied for ancient

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
By learn essays she doesn't (I'm assuming) mean memorise essays. That is a BAD idea for anything subject, except English of course
I go the opposite way. Memorised essays for ancient are good, but for english... bad.

THe only thing is... i don't have the time or memory power to memorise essays. I'm better learning the main points and doing it on the spot. I don't see how anyone can memorise 1000 words straight off.

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
iyamahobbit said:
i don't have the time or memory power to memorise essays. I'm better learning the main points and doing it on the spot. I don't see how anyone can memorise 1000 words straight off.
yeah im too lazy to memorize.. too much mental stress. i'm all for knowing a faint timeline and making stuff sound good.. and making up modern historians...hehe it works for me. :D

Ava

HSC
I can memorise essays word for word pretty easily, but I have to do that the night before, my memory only lasts 24 hours....after that I lose everything. :(

Eep, I told myself I would study for ancient after 3u english but I havent even started yet. Good thing I got the personality and society out of the way. I'll never get my head around Great peloponesian war....its just too hard for me. I can;t understand why I'm having so much trouble with it but what can I do - oh well. I'm thinking I'm going to focus on Augustus and the Julio-claudians so I can at least do a decent job on that section.

Tambubs

HSC
I used to be really good at memorizing stuff..... now i'm too lazy to bother!!!! (of course i would have prefered to have been lazy in yr7-10 then get smart.. but hey, we can't choose our brains!)
i wouldn't call it cramming, as we have been doing it for a year, but i'm going to be cramming greece 500-440, cause i hate war and shity stuff like that so i didn't really tune in with this period, so i'm screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is ancient last for all you guys? i wish i could say yes but i have art on the 10! WWAAHHHH

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
i know someone who memorised at least 10 essays for every topic for every subject he did. i dont have brain power to do it methinks. im with learning what to put in the essays and just practicing doing it...not that i actually will, but it sounds like a good plan.

Paroissien

HSC
Also my plans.
But that number of essays is incredible. How long did that take him, and did he succeed?

~SeXcSuM~

HSC
damn!!! its tomorrow!!! but......learning points for essays has definately helped although i still dont know nearly as much as i should...but i tried..so...meh
im just gonna read over all my notes before i sleep and hope for the best!!

GOOD LUCK GUYS!!! its my last test! woot!!

HSC
N/A
Wow.. you guys are at the "learning points" stage. I just finished a "general understanding" of Rome and caesar... :S

Now I shall start on Pelop... *shudder*

And then I shall cram for Sparta...

~SeXcSuM~

HSC
haha! i dont know my whole topic...just learning (well reading stuff) sections of my topic which im hoping will be in the test

HSC
i am unbelievably screwed.

half of me wants to projectile vomit everywhere out of nerves, and the other half of me wants to give up and go to bed.

unfortunately, neither is a real option for a girl who needs to teach herself her ancient history course.

mr t: i pity the fool who didn't listen in class, like bridget.

goodluck everyone. i hope you sleep well and retain your stomach contents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)