Cpu (1 Viewer)

Ninga

HSC
I melted my CPU :( I was playing games, and then i heard a sizzling noise, and now its goooooone. Do u guys think thats covered under warranty? Its an intel chip. 3ghz, 533Mhz fsb, etc. Think i got one of the first ones, and its a shitter for heat, heats up so much.

Any input would be welcome. Thanks.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Has your tower had adequate ventilation?

If too much dust has accumilated around or on (somehow) the heatsink/fan area, that could of done the trick also.

And I assume you didn't overclock it.

Anyway, sorry to hear about that mate.

Ninga

HSC
Its got pretty good ventilation, its got a couple of case fans in there too, as well as a coolermaster jet 4 sitting on top of it ;)

Might have been the dust thing, but i installed the cpu fan a couple of months ago like in feb, and i got the computer last july. Its still under the 3 years warranty, hopefully i get something back, otherwise i'll just have to shell out $300 for a new cpu :)

I didnt have the fan running on its highest setting, it was at about half, which ive found keeps the temp around 55 - 60 degrees when im doing higher end stuff. Guess i'll keep it on high next time ;)

Nope, no overclocking. Dust could have been a factor, because theres no ventilation in my room. Like i ever open my window, pfft :)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ninga
Its got pretty good ventilation, its got a couple of case fans in there too, as well as a coolermaster jet 4 sitting on top of it ;)

Might have been the dust thing, but i installed the cpu fan a couple of months ago like in feb, and i got the computer last july. Its still under the 3 years warranty, hopefully i get something back, otherwise i'll just have to shell out $300 for a new cpu :)

I didnt have the fan running on its highest setting, it was at about half, which ive found keeps the temp around 55 - 60 degrees when im doing higher end stuff. Guess i'll keep it on high next time ;)

Nope, no overclocking. Dust could have been a factor, because theres no ventilation in my room. Like i ever open my window, pfft :)
Normally under your conditions I'd use this as a perfect excuse to buy myself a new CPU (or even computer if I was rich at the time).. but 3GHz, definitely try to claim something back for that.

And if it is still under warranty like you said, then you should be able to claim a new one. It's not overclocked, and you didn't instigate it (by doing accidental physical damage or something like that), so it's under the conditions of the warranty. So you should thus expect a replacement from Intel, I would say.

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
All the Retail shops somehow try and make out that you overclocked the CPU cause they are lazy bastards in returning it back to the supplier. Just maintaing you did not overclock and it was just a faulty CPU

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Originally posted by Slide Rule
Considering you know the FSB, can I presume you overclocked it?

NULL AND VOID.
i see where you are coming from
but i know the speed of my FSB, doesn't mean i overclock
Originally posted by ToO LaZy ^*
what's overclocked?
and how do you adjust the speed of your fan?
overclocking is making your computer go faster then the speed which it is specified
eg: you have a 3.0ghz cpu, you can tweak it to say a 3.1ghz
but this creates extra heat, which can kill your computer because it can melt

you can adjust your fan speed if you have a fan controller, which most computers don't, you have to buy one

asdf

HSC
Originally posted by Beaky
All the Retail shops somehow try and make out that you overclocked the CPU cause they are lazy bastards in returning it back to the supplier. Just maintaing you did not overclock and it was just a faulty CPU
No you dont say "i never overclocked it", you say "whats overlock?" ;)

Always works... :D

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by asdf

Good point, lol.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Originally posted by asdf

haha just like when i tried to get my mobile phone flashed so that i don't have the crappy vodafone advertising on it....
lady at the helpdesk, "is your mobile vodafone version"
me: huh? no it's a sony ericsson, i'm using it on optus.....what vodafone?? i've been using it on optus for the past few weeks, not vodafone, what are you talking about
*blank stare*

Ninga

HSC
Originally posted by Slide Rule
Considering you know the FSB, can I presume you overclocked it?

NULL AND VOID.

No overclocking. Its a 3ghz, pure and simple, not a slower speed overclocked.

Only reason I know the fsb was because i was looking at CPU prices before i put that post up. 3ghz chips come generally in 533MHz fsb, or 800MHz fsb, well they did when i bought mine anyways, i know theres different ones now, like prescotts, etc. But I had to go through my motherboard manual to see what chips it supported, and it only supports 400 or 533MHz fsb. So i'm going to assume that i had a 3ghz with 533MHz fsb. Its not all about the overclocking son, learn that now.

Too bad the guy who built my computer for me and sold it to me is overseas in taiwan until next week. I'll just have to make do with my old comp, for now, 600Mhz slow crap. Lucky I finished my uni exams already and dont need the computer :)

Ninga

HSC
Actually...my mate took my fan off and looked at the cpu for me. Wierd that it came out with the fan cos they were stuck together, the holder must be broken, but it looks fine. He thinks its probably the power supply now, seeing as im running so much stuff off it and cos it wont turn on :) Im only running a CDRW drive, a DVD-RW, 2 HDs, mobo, a floppy, 2 case fans, and the CPU fan off it. Guess running my fan at a lower speed probably put more strain on it due to the greater amount of heat it would create, as its probably using a variable resistor to adjsut speed. So, looks like i need a bigger power supply, 350W musn't be enough. Phew :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
Actually...my mate took my fan off and looked at the cpu for me. Wierd that it came out with the fan cos they were stuck together, the holder must be broken, but it looks fine.
The CPU came off with the holder only if you pull the fan very very hard. The thermal paste/gel does stick after a while. It would a big risk to pull the entire thing off without loosening the CPU holder first.

He thinks its probably the power supply now, seeing as im running so much stuff off it and cos it wont turn on :) Im only running a CDRW drive, a DVD-RW, 2 HDs, mobo, a floppy, 2 case fans, and the CPU fan off it. Guess running my fan at a lower speed probably put more strain on it due to the greater amount of heat it would create, as its probably using a variable resistor to adjsut speed. So, looks like i need a bigger power supply, 350W musn't be enough. Phew :)
350W should be more than enough for all of that, unless you run some power sucking graphics card. The heat generated by a variable resistor (if it used one) would almost be negligible compared to some of the other things in the computer.

Follow simple diagnostics.
1) Use a multimeter to check the output of your power supply
2) Does the computer boot up at all? Any POST errors?
3) Try booting the computer with each of your expansion cards disconnected. Can it boot without certain things connected?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)