Cpa / Ca (1 Viewer)

kingbuddha

i went to the usyd info day and asked if i could do two majors (accounting and finance) in commerce for a combined com/law degree and the answer was yes... however the person said u wouldn't get CPA/CA recognition because u wont be able to satisfy some criteria, ie i wont be able to do some specified subjects???

I dont really get that... could someone please explain and also are there other ways then to get CPA/CA accreditation?

Last edited:

klh

HSC
what hey are basically saying is that there are requirements to gain a cpa/ca. what you chose doesnt satisfy the cpa/ca becasue you have to do specified units that those majors dont cover. Criteria is just gaining the required knowledge. If you do choose those electives, you can still gain accreditation by doing extra units to satisfy the criteria. but it will mean extra time and money.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Using CA as an example -

For your Com/Law degree, you'll need these units to qualify for the CA postgrad program:

ACCT1001 Accounting IA
ACCT1002 Accounting IB
ACCT2001 Financial Accounting A
ACCT3001 Financial Accounting B
ACCT2002 Management Accounting A
ACCT3002 Management Accounting B
FINC2001 Corporate Finance 1
ACCT3004 Auditing
LAWS1006 Legal Institutions
LAWS1002 Contracts
LAWS2003 Corporate Law
LAWS3047 Personal Taxation
LAWS3013 Business Taxation

Your law degree gives you six elective law subjects in 5th year - you can do 1006,2003,3047 and 3013 in 5th year (1002 is already compulsory in 2nd yr)

Your accounting major requires an additional subject:
ECMT1010 Business and Economic Statistics A

and your Finance major requires 5 other subjects for the major (because 3 subjects required by Finance overlap the Accounting requirements)

I havent checked the credit point situation here, but it looks like you'd have to do 1 subject extra, if anything

kingbuddha

oh so it pretty much means i would have to stay a bit longer and do some extra units/electives to gain accreditation?

thanks heaps guys

theone123

blue essence
HSC
u mite hav to do a conversion course to satisfy all requirements.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
theone123 said:
a postgrad course to complete the subject you havent did but required to do so.
or you could save yourself all that trouble and enrol in that course during the undergrad degree

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
basically at usyd, u can just fit the minimum requirements for an acct and finance major, together with ur law units. HOWEVER, regarding your acct major, u won't have enuf credit points to complete all the required units for CA or CPA recognition. for CA its only auditing, and CPA, its that and ecmtB i fink...somefing like that. so basicalli, if u realli wanted CA (wchih i fink is better than CPA), then u'd only have to overload one subject. but unfortunately, the faculty won't allow u to overload during semester (revised legislation means it now COSTS the uni to allow u to do that). so u'll have to do it at summer school or sumfing. hope this helps

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
opal: woah, so USyd won't let anyone overload anymore, regardless of what year they are in? seems harsh

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Yeh with the following program at USYD, you'll satisfy the requirements for both CPA and CA.
And it's a BCom program majoring in Accounting and Finance, so you just manage to squeeze in two majors into the degree (since some ACCT and FIN subjects overlap) and theres no need to overload to satisfy CPA/CA requirements.

1st Yr (8 Units @ 6 credit points =48credit points)
ACCT 1001 Accounting 1A
ACCT 1002 Accounting 1B
ECMT 1010 Business and Economic Statistics A
ECMT 1020 Business and Economic Statistics B
ECON 1001 Introductory Microeconomics
ECON 1002 Introductory Macroeconomics
INFS1000 Business Information Systems Foundations
CLAW 1001 Commercial Transactions A

2nd and 3rd Yr (12 Units @ 8 credit points each =96 credit points)
ACCT 2002 Management Accounting A
ACCT 3002 Management Accounting B
ACCT 2001 Financial Accounting A
ACCT 3001 Financial Accounting B
CLAW 2001 Corporations Law
CLAW 3001 Australian Taxation System
FINC 2001 Corporate Finance I
FINC2002 Corporate Finance II
ACCT 3004 Auditing
INFS 2000 Business Information Systems
Plus 2 other Finance Options/Electives

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Yeah, usyd e+b department kinda become stingy, I know some com/law students in later years who did 32 CREDIT POINTS EVERY SEMESTER in years 2 and 3 of their degree. But hey, we're still the only uni I know of that allows 2 commerce majors in a com/law degree. If you wanted CA acreditation, you could simply do auditing at summer school at the end of 5th year or something, if you wanted CPA you could do auditing and infs 2000 in the same summer school.

Granted it will set you back a couple of grand, but the government's still paying for 2/3 of the cost for the rest of your degree which is something like $80000....

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Depends on the university. At UTS and UOW they are, I believe. I don't know about other unis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)