Courses being undertaken by prospective 2005 students (1 Viewer)

Which area of discipline are you planning to undertake at uws

• College of Arts, Education and Social Sciences

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • College of Law and Business

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • College of Science, Technology and Environment

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • College of Social and Health Sciences

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • others

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
S

Shuter

za man said:
so it seems to me ur one of da ppl who would be lookin for a transfer out of uws as soon as the oppotunity comes, if uhave to go to uws , aye
Oh you bet, if I end up at UWS I'll be repeating HSC subjects that year as well to help my transfer to somewhere else.

Jonathan A

HSC
Shuter said:
Oh you bet, if I end up at UWS I'll be repeating HSC subjects that year as well to help my transfer to somewhere else.

You're wasting your time. Enjoy the UWS experience. A lot of people who transferred out of UWS, actually return back to UWS.

I hope your first preferences are met, so as you wont have to attend our unfashionable dump.

za man

Jonathan A said:
You're wasting your time. Enjoy the UWS experience. A lot of people who transferred out of UWS, actually return back to UWS.

I hope your first preferences are met, so as you wont have to attend our unfashionable dump.

why is it that they return?
and another question when was uws opened, was it opened before uts?

klh

HSC
lol....return becasue our atmosphere is sometimes more friendly and relaxed than other campuses. Lecturers are firendlier etc...rumours are that uts is very business like with students and all but i disagree since my management lecture said thats bull shit so...
Its what one prefers, it might be becasue of the location, or it might be because of spite for out uni that they want to go to our uni to recruit/establish a bad name/spy on one of the best uni's in NSW. ;)

happy cup

has left BOS :)
HSC
N/A
i put 7/9 preferences for UWS.. it's mostly nursing at all UWS campuses and just 2 backup courses that i can hopefully transfer into nursing at UWS if i don't get in to the course this year.

i really don't like how people think they're too above to go to UWS.. i really don't see wat the big deal is.. also if u feel that way, u don't need to say it here.. i mean i don't go to uws but i think it's a great uni.. sorry us western sydney people aren't up class enough for u :p

za man

lol thats quiet true it seems to me the only reason uws has a bad name is because it is in western sydney and most ppl think we are not good enough

slayer

HSC
N/A
i applied to uws for a few subjects, for b communication, arts and science, however i took out the arts course bcasue they had changed one of the majors in that course that i wanted to do. i dont think i will b goin to uws, unfortuantly my uai wasn't high enuf for communications but then thats for all the other unis aswell.
i hate how ppl judge uws its funny when ppl prefer syd uni and unsw like i understand the reputation but in the end the degree is exactly the same. also at syd uni the course is much harder, for eg my neighbour does civil enginerring at syd uni and his mate does it at uws, my neghbour has to do more subjects or have more credit points then his mate but in the end the degree is the same. Also for major faculties like buisness uts doesnt even do work placement they onli have internships for scholarship students so when u look at it the rep wont help u unless u want to be a doctor or somethin.

za man

that quiet true
but maybe uws should change its name and take the western out,
everything associated with the west has a bad name
eg the wild wild west, westside, lol the list goes on!

plus think of all the suburbs in the west
bankstown, lakemba, blacktown, cambelltown, cabramatta, just to name a few, as most of u know these suburbs are not exactly nsw most posh suburbs, infact they are consided some of the worst.
lol
so i am with changing the name of uws, it actually mite make it more popular when the name is changed

klh

HSC
i think there was a petition to change the uni name last year....
but what would your name for uws then?
Univ. of Sydney No. 2???

za man

new name for UWS

lol yeah that’s the thing, coming up with a new name, well there can be a poll to see which name the students of UWS like most. The name doesn’t necessarily need to contain the name Sydney in it. For example Monash university, Charles Sturt university, La Trobe university and Bond university, all have better reputations then UWS but they are not necessarily better then UWS.
So any suggestions?

maybe the university of Excellence lol just imagine that everyone would want to go to that uni for sure.

Last edited:

za man

yeah greater sydney university that sounds pritty good, its better name than western sydney

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Nothin wrong with Western, my sister transfered from UNSW to UWS and said it was the best decision she ever made. Much nicer place, better lectueres who actually know your name and have the time of day for you, nicer people etc. Because of things she said, I've never even considered UNSW. Had a look at UWS and liked it, but have my hopes set on CSU Bathurst ;)

za man

am not saying there is anything wrong with the university, but most ppl get put off just because of the name, so a change of name mite attract more students.
the uni is in fininacial trouble i heard

happy cup

has left BOS :)
HSC
N/A
I think a name change might be a good idea. If UWS changed it's name it can be seperated from the violent, 'low class' view that's associated with western sydney. I read in a thread somewhere that UWS is ranked 30/37 of all the unis in aus and ACU is 34/37. I mean no one says anything about ACU and 'supposedly' according to this ranking system UWS is a better uni. I know u can't really compare unis by a ranking system. :eek: juz thought i'd point that out :uhhuh:

Demandred

HSC
Just out of interest, anyone doing B Eco & Business/B Laws @ Parra?

S

Shuter

I guess no one really knows for sure yet. Except the people with 100.

Jonathan A

HSC
za man said:
why is it that they return?
and another question when was uws opened, was it opened before uts?

A person I spoke to in my Criminology tute said he originally enrolled into Health Sciences, he then transferred to Social Science at UNSW. He didn't like the University. He said that UWS was far more advanced and returned to do policing (the same faculty he originally left).

More people are choosing are thinking of a UWS transfer also because of the social life, compared to their unis.

I can't account for the opening dates. However I do think UTS is a little older than UWS.

Jonathan A

HSC
I am against a name-change. I am proud of which university I attend and given more people are moving further into the greater sydney area, we are becomming more acceptable. The West can be very poshy, I don't think Newtown and Camperdown are that poshy at all. Its no match to Milperra, with the quiet streets where the sun shines!

In terms of crime, a school of thought (Chicago School of Sociology) would say that its a phase - we are currently in the Zone of Transition where crime occurs, move further out, its richer but soon will be subject to more crime as the urban sprawl kicks in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)