course selectionsss (1 Viewer)

CVHS08.KLE

HSC
Hi guys,

i've just done my uac rego thing, and i've selected my courses - which kinda freaked out! i pretty much want to do only this one course - speech pathology.. despite the idea, we're allowed multiple preferences.. do they NORMALLY give you your first preference? =/

i dont want any of my other backup preferences.. they require like chem or something and i dropped all my sciences T_T" good going. LOL. but yeh.. and do unis, normally select course applicants through wat they studied for HSC.. for example, say i wanted to study, Science (Nutrition) but i havn't studied chem in hsc, would another applicant who studied Chem have a better likelihood of getting selected over me? :(

soopacow

Igloo?
HSC
If you make the cut-off for your first preference, yes you WILL be given your first preference. You will also get a chance to change your preferences after you get your UAI.

If I'm not wrong most universities don't have 'prerequisites' for most of their courses, including science/engineering courses as most would offer 'bridging' courses during the Summer break for those who need them. Most are merely 'recommended' or 'assumed' knowledge (and if you did the 'bridging courses', I'm sure you'd be able to catch up fairly fast once the actual university semester starts).

At least for UNSW, for example say chemistry, you are allowed to do the easiest chemistry course offered (which is required to finish a degree in nutrition anyways), and in that course the first few weeks (probably all the way up until the final couple of weeks of the first semester) basically sums up everything you learn in year 11 & 12 chemistry.

Though having done them would help, but it's not required as the professors always assume everyone has not done them before.

As for people who did a certain subject having a better chance of getting into the course over you depends on the course & university you've applied.
For UTS and UNSW, they do have the bonus points that adds onto your selection rank automatically if you have achieved a certain band in a subject related to the course you've applied to (up to a total of 5 UAI 'points'). But if it's for say USYD, they don't have such systems, so you will be selected without been advantaged over others because you did certain subjects or disadvantaged because you didn't.

And it's also a good idea to fill up all 9 preferences with courses that you wouldn't mind doing/similar to your first preference/same course at other universities, for example B.Science (just in case you were 0.1 off the cut-off of your desired course), and it'll be an easier transfer the following year than getting nothing at all.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)